4.0 out of 5 stars Great ride!
Published on 31 Mar 2010 by Mr. Steven Julien

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read but not well written
Published on 16 Sep 2011 by tomatoman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read but not well written, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country (Kindle Edition)
overall a good bedtime read, but at times very amateur use of description and humour. i like my bikes but ive never been to usa, so i thought this could be the inspiration that i need as i have warned the wife of upcoming MLC. unfortunately there was very little in the book that would inspire me to go the USA for a biking holiday, ill stick to europe. i take my hat off to john for going off and doing it, which is always a bit easier to do with no kids/wife/mortgage etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars ...and the point is?...., 10 July 2011
Mr. Adam J. Glover (Llanddoged, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country (Kindle Edition)
John must have had an immense amount of fun on his holiday.... and that is the problem really ...it was just an extended holiday the nature of which I strongly suspect hundreds of people each year from the UK do.

The point of the trip for John, seemed to me to be the writing of the book rather than the experiencing all the USA had to offer. The book was going to get written anyway regardless of whether his experiences were dull, mediocre or really interesting. Unfortunately they were mediocre....and the author is not an accomplished enough story teller to make them come alive or observe them with the witicism of other travel writers.

Well done for doing it John, but...not for me really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ride!, 31 Mar 2010
I don't have detailed knowledge of the USA so I really liked the details John added about the places he saw and went. I learned a lot from the accounts on the background of Route 66, Key West and Chicago. Don't think this is a history book though because it isn't! It's about biking across the USA, travelling over 14,000 miles, visiting 23 States and having a huge amount of fun on the way. It's also about the people he met which were almost all extremely generous and warm-hearted, even the ex Hells Angels in California!

Whether you're into biking or not it's a great read!

2.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country (Kindle Edition)
Got this pretty cheap for the Kindle and was glad I didn't pay a lot for it. Pretty amateur writing and I did find myself skipping parts of the book which were pretty boring. The writer struck me as one of slightly eccentric Englishmen with money to burn and didn't come across as much of a real biker. Would have preferred a bit more info on the actual planning and the fuel economy and motorcycle side of things. Also the descriptions of distances covered and actual geography of the trip.

2.0 out of 5 stars OneBrit,One Bike,One big country, 1 Feb 2012
Mr. A. Duthie "A Theist" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I found the book very disappointing. The writing style was amatuerish and the attempt at humour ,particularly in the first part of the book were excruiating.
There were some interesting historical facts but not enough about the actual journey,eg,distances travelled each day,mpg of bike,were there frequent enough petrol stations etc. Maps,even simple diagrams would have been a great help as unless the reader had a grasp of the geography of the USA it was difficult to envisage where the writer was and where he was heading.

Unfortunately the writer said he was no writer and this was borne out and I was not at all happy to pay £8.00 for a book to be subjected to an advert for a multi level marketing company.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Brit One Bike One great Read!, 14 Oct 2010
At the beginning of the book John declares that he is no writer, this is not true. John is an excellent writer who has the ability to take you right along on his marathon journey. As a bike nut myself I can empathise with the struggles through the bad weather and battling the sheer weight of the motorcycle, however John adds something a lot more than just a report on his travels. His witty and informative writing style takes you with him down each and every road and, into each situation with flowing descriptions that it is almost as if you are standing by his side listening and watching the whole journey unfold first hand. A brilliantly revealing first book that demands a lot of free time to read as once you have started the journey with John, you will not want to put the book down until the end.
Highly recommended even if you are not into motorbikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country (Kindle Edition)
I'm going along with all the other reviews so far and say that it is a very enjoyable and well written book. Enough detail to keep you interested and a good balance between the bike, trip, country and people. What endeared me to the writer was that he was camping for most of the trip, rather than touring on his credit card, which gave a better feeling of an adventure. You do not need to be a Harley Davidson owner or even interested in bikes to enjoy this book, you just need to be interested in other people's travels.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book - I couldn't put it down!, 29 Mar 2010
D. Sharratt "Deanna" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed John's book. As a biker myself I've never had the guts to go on a long trip - afraid I'd miss my home comforts too much, then the kids came along, then the dog and soon the chickens. Thanks John for sharing your wonderful journey with us - I feel like I had the pleasure of joining you on the ride. You've given me a completely different picture of the real Americans - not the corporates I had the misfortune of working for a couple of years ago. I really liked the bit about the museum and it's over-zealous curator - I could just imagine you backing away - very very slowly! You're writing style is very well developed for a first book and you should be very proud of your work. When's the next trip - I'd like to come too and I'd definitely like to read about it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 4 Sep 2010
Apart from once owning a little moped,I am not and never have been a biker, but this book had me hooked. I was there all the way, enjoying the sights, sharing the highs and lows, meeting the wonderful people, and living the whole experience. Pictures weren't necessary, John's descriptions of the scenery and surroundings brought it all to life. His style of writing is intelligent, witty and thoroughly entertaining. Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just do it, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed the book tremendously........didn't realise it was by a local man....I work for a local Triumph dealer and will do a similar trip .........soon. as my mates as "just do it"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›