As a no-brainer action flick and visual spectacle, Ninja Assassin is a cut above above other sword wielding martial arts films.

Published on 7 Sep 2010 by The Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars Solidly average
Yes, present-day martial arts films have come a long way. I was inveigled into watching Bruce Lee's best film-at least according to my friends- "Enter the Dragon"- still vying for the title of biggest laughs I ever got at the cinema; did the speeded up film, springboards and empty infantile philosophising really fool people into following that guy?

At...
Published 2 months ago by harpoon guns to 'safe', please

4.0 out of 5 stars Over the top in all the right places, and all the better for it., 7 Sep 2010
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The film is very gory - delighting in over top, gushing blood, and limb and body part severing. In fact, the opening scene made both my flat mate and I jump out of our skins. In some ways in fact, this is almost some sort of martial arts horror; with the way the ninja hide in the dark and then pounce, delivering scares, and the afore mentioned gallons of blood.

Aside from the gore, Ninja Assassin is just an all out martial arts action. There is a lose sort of detective story and back story going on throughout the film, but really it's just all about the action - of which there's plenty, and which is pretty good too.

The fight scenes aren't outstanding technically, but they are dramatic and over the top in a sort of Hollywood way: with CGI effects used on weapons, and to create visually satisfying shots, splattering blood, and dramatic decapitations - that sort of thing. And as for the use of weapons, it's much more a martial arts film where steel is the focus as opposed to feet and fists, and the array of ninja weapons used are cool to watch.

Blu-Ray provides the perfect platform for all these effects. My copy was crisp, clean, and great to watch - giving you a chance to really take in all the effects and fights - even though a lot of them happened at night or in the dark. The colours were vibrant in the opening scene and in the monastery flashback scenes, and all in all, I think this format really compliments the film.

The acting leaves a lot to be desired but it's bearable. And I'm not sure if it was more down to the director, rather than the actors themselves, as all the cast seemed to be suffering from the same bad acting disease. The main character and his ninja lord do have a case for being a bit emotionless and stiff on screen though, as all during `training' it was drummed into them to be emotionless. It makes killing easier, see.

Ninja Assassins isn't the best martial arts film out there by a long shot. By a looooooong shot, but... it might be the best action-packed-no-holds-barred-hold-onto-you-seat-chain-weilding-gore-fest-martial-arts-flick about. So if you enjoy martial arts films and want a film that mixes something like `The Marine' and `IP Man' this could be for you.

I enjoyed it. My flat mate loved every second of it. I'm stuck between giving it 3 and 4 stars. I think it deserves about 3.5... overall, I'd score it at about 7/10. I'll be watching it again.

If this review was helpful please give it the thumbs up - if not, comment on why so I can do a better job for you next time. Thanks :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoy it for what it is, 12 July 2010
I've read quite a few of the reviews on this site and have to say it never ceases to amaze me what people expect why they buy a move like this. Just so we are clear, the film is called 'Ninja Assassin' and its about a secret society of ninja's who carry out assassinations for 100lbs of gold, and then I read reviews saying 'you have to suspend belief...' - you don't say!! It is not meant to be a true story and quite frankly if you bought this thinking it had any kind of basis in fact or you were looking for something deep and meaningful then more fool you, I would suggest you read the product description a little more carefully in the future.
Its not going to win any oscars and I fully understand that it wont be to everyones liking but I think its grossly unfair when people award 1 and 2 stars just because they failed to realise what the movie was about prior to watching it. My 5 stars may well be a little generous but I just wanted to balance the scales a little bit.
All I would say is that if you liked the scene in Kill Bill (volume 2 I think) when Uma chops limbs off left, right and centre in the restaurant then this is probably for you as the violence is not dissimilar although perhaps even a little more blood thirsty. As far as I am concerned its a good switch off movie to stick on when you've had a few beers and if thats you're kind of thing you'll love it, if you want something 'believable' then perhaps look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars OTT CGI yessss!, 22 April 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ninja Assassin [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
If you like martial arts movies you should love this one and especially on blu ray.

This movie is about a clan of ninjas who are trained from children for one reason, to become the ultimate assassins for hire.

Without spoiling it for you. . . .one of them escapes as he's sick of the life he's being forced to live but it's one of those once you're in you can never leave efforts! A bit like where I work :)

So, present day and he's an adult and still being chased down by the ninja clan he left! They never give up.The visual and audio CGI fest on bluray is brilliant. Whack your speakers up and prepare to duck, dive and dodge the hundreds of whizzing shurikens, Katanas, knives and Kurasigama (which he is rather tasty with!) and every other martial arts weapon you could ever think of! All great stuff indeed!

The speed and skill and stunts involved in the fight scenes and the number of combatants at any one time, ie-the bloke versus all the ninjas, is fantastic (in my opinion).

A great movie, you won't be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, stylistic, slasher, but such good fun., 29 May 2010
Koncorde (St. Helens, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ninja Assassin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Other reviews have done an excellent job on this so far to paint it as the high speed action fed story you come to expect from movies such as The Transporter. This is the Asian-fuelled equivalent, blended with a little bit of Commando (Arnie in the 80's) and a bucketload of stylised gorey action straight from The Matrix and V for Vendetta.

The action scenes are a good mix of wire fighting, and stylised kung fu infused with a few recognisible Ninja traits such as the throwing stars - and there's plenty of them. Not the most believable, but enjoyably hectic all the same.

Dialogue isn't fantastic, and the plot isn't particularly novel, but it's enough to form a solid background for the star of the show to strut his stuff. Korean Jung Ji-Hoon (or "Rain") is that star - and is suitably ripped to play the role of the uniquely skilled lead.

Downers: combat speed, darkness, and general arrangement during action sequences can leave you very disorientated as to who is where, what and when. The speech in the movie is also not the best, with a mix of accents that are sometimes hard to discern.

If you enjoyed the first Matrix film, Kill Bill, or Jet li, this is definitely a movie for you - just don't expect any great wisdom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fu 4 U Review #4: Ninja Assassin., 16 May 2010
I'll tell you, I was not looking forward to this film, not at all and for a good few reasons - these reasons chiefly being that I can count on one hand the amount of good ninja films I've seen and still have a surplus of fingers, secondly I've heard a lot of whining and pontificating from a lot of mugs who expect every film they see to be Oscar material. Well let me tell you: if you're a fan of immensely violent kung fu, if you love games like Ninja Gaiden or even the Mortal Kombat series (especially if you where as disappointed by the wimpy film adaptation) or even if you just want to see some well produced, impressive, but mindless, violence then this is the beast for you. Read on to find out more:

THE HIGH KICKS
- Taking numerous hugely talented people from various disciplines such as free running, acrobatics and martial arts the makers of this little flick have achieved some truly awe inspiring scenes of madness and destruction.
- Every attack resulted in an explosion of crimson people paint that would make Paul Verhoeven weep with joy, and it satisfied my inner teenagers need for torrents of gore to the full.
- Pretty boy newcomer, Rain, pulled his weight no end. Don't get me wrong he won't be winning any prizes for his acting abilities (although that's not the kind of thing anyone watching a film called `Ninja Assassin' should be expecting) but he got ripped and kicked some moustaches clean off! Well done that man.
- The amount of shadow melting, magical hand gestures and other ninja jiggery-pokery was cool enough to bring back some of that childhood wonder one felt whenever the word ninjas was dropped back in the day.
- Beats the pants of 90% of the attempts at the genre that where thrown around in the 80's like so much plop in a monkey cage.
- It wasn't overly long and managed to stay its welcome plus leave you wanting a little bit more.
- The extras are both suitable and decent and accompany the feature nicely. Some good factual stuff, some great displays of skill and some focus on just how much Rain had to go through to pull off his role.
- It was nice to see respect shown to good ole Sho Kosugi (he plays the naughty master guy). Although I think a lot of his films where total balloon juice it's nice to see the makers know their source material as a far as cinema goes.
- Decent thumpy music to accompany the frenzy of blood and weapon swooshes.
- It was quite amazing to see how many of the mad acrobatics where done without wires when I watched the extras.
- Suitably taps into all elements of modern ninja culture and conceptions.
- Both Blu-ray and DVD discs are great quality with decent sound and sharp pictures.

THE LOW BLOWS
- Pretty much all the acting is in the 'pants' to 'mediocre' region of the scale (apart from Kosugi who was convincingly nasty enough for you to want to see him perish and perish horrifically) leaving no character truly shining through. Rain isn't a bad actor but he's just not enough of a presence yet - but as I've mentioned he pulls off the physical stuff with much, much more than a little panache.
- The gore, especially where the kids and women where involved might be a tad too much for some people. Even I winced at the toilet head smashing scene - but if you have a low gore threshold be forewarned some of this is a bit rough.
- Sometimes the whole ninja magical element seems too out there and ruins a few moments of seriousness.
- There where some moments of monumental cheese - but again it's a called Ninja Assassin and as such you shouldn't go in expecting anything less.

THE FINAL BLOW:
A very decent, if often cheesy and brainless, Ninja flick that goes a little way to restoring my faith in the extremely muddy genre (but not the whole hog). Ten times better than the recently entitled `Ninja' that made its way straight to DVD, and sure It may have been childish but I dug the jets and floods of gore and in the end it all felt suitably heroic and awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys seeing feats of daring do, decently choreographed martial arts and some damn fine acrobatics, not to mention mad weapons and nutty ninja magic.

OTHER RECCOMENDATIONS:
As I noted earlier I've not seen a ton of decent Ninja films (because I don't think they're out thier) but I do highly tout 'Five Element Ninja' from the ever brilliant Shaw Bros. As well as being a good flick it's also one of my all time faves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Ninja Assassin [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This film is so good

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie, 29 Jun 2014
I am a fan of this kind of movies action ones and this one is amazing, is got everything you need in terms of action, is a bit bloody but very good. The actors performance, amazing as well. Who doesn't like bloody movies, I would not recommend this, otherwise 100% recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solidly average, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ninja Assassin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)

At three stars better than that, this entertains passably through its 90-odd minutes.

Woefully inconsistent, though: the ninjas can really outrun and dodge bullets- at least when it suits them. But at the end ! Woeful. And wholly predictable.

Slam, bang, slice dice and buckets of blood. Good enough for one watch, but no more.

4.0 out of 5 stars great over the top action, 31 May 2014
P. Garland (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ninja Assassin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
firstly the 18 rating is no joke as far as gore, although it is so much it becomes cartoon like, which I am fine with. Enjoyed it immensely, just switch your brain off and enjoy the show. As many reviews note though the film could do with being a little lighter as occasionally you can not see the action very well

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Ninja Assassin [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Brilliant film I had seen it before I bought it. DVD plays well on my lap top was packaged well case was full intact.

Ninja Assassin [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Ninja Assassin [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free] by James McTeigue (Blu-ray - 2010)
4.90