on 13 June 2011
I used to own a 'Flip Video' camera, which unfortunately stopped working after a year for no apparent reason. After looking at other cameras of this type I decided to purchase the 'Sony MHSTS10B Bloggie,' and I'm glad I did!
The build quality is excellent and the camera is small enough to fit in your pocket (it's about the size of a mobile phone). It is smaller and slimmer than the Flip camera and, in my view, the video quality is far better. Although the previous reviewer has commented on the 'slow focus' and 'recording noise' - I didn't consider it to be that bad and it should be remembered that cameras of this type are not for professional purposes but more for taking short video memories of your children performing etc. I would describe it as more of a 'family camcorder.'
The Sony Bloggie fits snugly in my camera bag along with my DSLR, and is handy to take along to capture those special events. The camera is simple to use - for example: if you have not realised that you are holding the camera upside down it will still record a film the right way up!
Transferring content to a PC is simply a case of plugging the camera into a USB slot (there is a 'pop out' usb connector). Once the camera is inserted then the 'Bloggie Application' launches and enables you to manage your films and pictures and transfer them to them to your PC. You can even use the software to upload your films and pictures to various sites such as 'You Tube' or 'Flickr.'
If I have any criticism it would be that the tripod mount is situated on the narrow side of the camera whereas most of your films will probably be taken in landscape view.
Compared to other devices of this type I think this camera is by far one of the best and I am giving it Five Stars!
on 17 October 2011
Colour Name: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let's face it, there have been a few of these pocket camcorders over the last couple of years and I am sure this is not the last. Each one having very similar features and capabilities. One of the newer features here is the touch screen, which performs well although can be a problem in strong sunlight...perhaps making physical buttons better for a device like this?

The picture quality is fantastic, and is on par with the likes of the Flip video HD or Kodak ZI8 which also produce excellent footage. Don't expect the digital zoom to blow you away though because there has been no real improvement from other pocket camcorders. Best to avoid using it where possible to avoid grainy results, especially in low light where all camcorders suffer to some degree.

Sound quality seems more than adequate for the average pocket camcorder user, but again nothing to write home about.

In temrs of ease of use, I have no complaints. Everything is very easy to use and I found it all self explanatory. I don't think I even looked at any of the documentation. Connectivity is via the usual USB method and you can use drag and drop with windows without any trouble :)

The battery didn't last me 2 hours as advertised but as always, you will only get this when you use lower quality settings etc.....so expect to get between 60 and 90 minutes on average and you won't be too dissapointed.

Overall a nice device with good build quality and useability. If you are in the market for your first pocket camcorder then this would be as good a choice as any. If however you are thinking of replacing an older (HD) pocket camcorder or already have a smartphone with HD video such as the Nokia N8, I would not waste your money as any advantages will be minimal.
on 21 August 2011
I love the simplicity of this camcorder it is so easy to use and the picture quality is very good, it's also very light to carry about with you
Colour Name: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This amazing little device encompasses everything good about pocket camcorder technology to have emerged in the past few years, including a large touchscreen, simple menu design, dual use for videos and photos, the ability to plug directly into your USB port and accompanying software that allows you to upload your videos to Facebook and other social media sites.

Though I won't let it affect my review score, as it may just be something to do with security settings on my computer, I haven't been able to get the inbuilt software to launch once past the install stage. That didn't matter, as I just navigated through My Computer to the storage folder and downloaded them that way. Doing this, I was also able to upload photos I had taken from another camera and that made it an ideal solution for my father, who likes to do landscape paintings based on reference photos he has taken, but had just run out of printer ink. He borrowed it to upload these to and used the Bloggie as a reference tool. Especially useful to him is the ability to zoom in on a photo at the tap of a finger. I may end up letting him keep it, he's getting on so well with it, but not without a little reluctance as it's an excellent model.

Other great features include a HDMI output, self-timer setting, a carry cord, storage box and a USB extension cable ideal for people whose computers don't have enough room for the Bloggie to plug in direct.
VINE VOICEon 19 October 2011
Colour Name: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sony has made the Bloggie's purpose in life explicit in the naming. It's for blogging - and it's great for blogging. (Or vlogging, to be pedantic about it.) This pocket camcorder's picture quality is superb when there's not much action going on at close to medium range and it's great at picking up voices with clarity. Beyond that everyday task, however, it falls a little short.

The zoom is dreadful; you wouldn't want to use it while filming because it's staggered and you have to use the touch screen to work it. To be honest, you wouldn't want to use that zoom at all because it creates a poor picture that's slow to focus. The focus provides one of the downsides to the audio quality as well. Under certain circumstances the MHSTS10S is good at picking up all the WRONG sounds, including bringing the noise of itself focusing to the forefront. Many of your videos could end up sounding like you've got the Predator standing next to you. If you don't know what the Predator sounds like, search 'Predator noise' on YouTube, and if you can't be bothered with that, well, it sounds like an alien clicking its tongue. Which, admittedly, could be amazing if you're filming a no-budget horror movie in the jungle...

Most of the controls beyond pressing the record button will be done with the touch screen. In theory this is a great way of doing things, in practice Sony isn't quite there with the Bloggie yet. It works but its fiddly and not as responsive as one would like. The 3-inch screen itself is great, a major step up for Flip users. Visibilty in sunny conditions is decent. By decent I mean you can make out what's on the screen, which is more than can be said for my Panasonic Lumix. I mention the Panasonic Lumix TZ20 because that's my current compact camera. Compared to that the Bloggie has better video quality but the TZ20 offers better natural sound. The still shots provided by the Bloggie's 12.8MP are solid enough but fall behind the standard of the best current compact cameras.

For all the negatives piling up, it comes back to a case of the MHSTS10S doing its job of personal blogging perfectly well. True, it doesn't offer much more than what a similarly sized, top of the range smart phone can, but if you don't like using your phone's battery up on video, then there's room for this in your pocket.

Like the Flip before it, you just flip (that's why I had to mention the Flip!) the USB connector up and shove it in your computer's port. The built-in software is fine and accessible for both PC and Mac users and makes uploading to YouTube, Facebook etc. simple, but I just stick with iMovie instead of having extra software clogging things up. A mains adapter doesn't come included, so bear in mind that you'll need to do any charging via USB.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 January 2012

8)touch screen

-ve point:
1) no flash
2) no exteral memory
3) picture or video not good in dark or night time(no flash)
4) no bluetooth and no wifi
VINE VOICEon 2 October 2011
Colour Name: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impressions is that the product is a quality one, constructed from steel and glass. It looks attractive and feels nice. It is extremely easy to use, a couple of buttons control video/camera shots and it has the ability to register which photos you want to upload to say Facebook or to Sony's website to share with family when you next connect the Bloggie to the computer. Connecting to the computer is easy with its pop out usb connector. I had no problems with installing the software.

My biggest stumbling block was the quality of the photos and video. They are no way as good as my standalone camera with the same megapixels. Noise is visible in both video and photos, especially in low light conditions. The Bloggie doesn't have a flash.

I am also struggling to see when I would use it as I see it offering the same facilities as my mobile phone and there is no need for me to carry both gadgets. It would be ideal for those who do not have mobile phones capable of taking decent quality photos and video or for young people venturing into the photography/videoing field.

I was excited about being offered the chance to review this product as I am into photography but was disappointed with it. I will be sticking to using my camera and mobile phone.
on 17 February 2013
These cameras are getting pretty cheap because of smartphone cameras, so I picked one up after seeing some pretty good reviews.
The build quality is surprisingly good. Sony really put together a well crafted gadget, the aluminium feels great and the buttons are nice. The screen is alright.

But how's the video it produces? Well, the sound quality is great and so is the video -sometimes. See, the problem with this camera is also one of the strong points of it. I am talking about the auto focus. It's great because you don't have to worry about focus if you want to capture something up close. But often it has trouble staying in focus, and sometimes it just plain takes forever to regain focus, as if it doesn't detect that it is out of focus. However, all it really takes is a little counselling (i.e pointing the camera at a light or pattern to focus on)

I think this camera could have been a lot better if the firmware allowed for manual control. This camera has none at all, and it would really be great if you could stop it from auto focusing. But you can't, and that's what makes this camera annoying at times.

There's also a couple design flaws with it. For one, the microphone is in a place where you can easily accidentally cover it, but even more annoying is the fact that they put the tripod on the side of the camera! So if you put a tripod on it that can't rotate 90 degrees, you'll only be able to shoot in portrait.

I'll end this review with praising the fact that this camera is indeed capable of shooting some very detailed, nice looking video. I have been taking this around everywhere I go, and it really isn't that bad if you treat it right.
on 7 June 2011
The video quality of this camera is super excellent but the autofocus is really slow and the lens make a noise while recording. I thought it was a problem of my camera, but I saw other videos on youtube, filmed with the same camera and they all have the same problem.
on 21 September 2013
I think most reviewers have said much of what needs to be said so I'll just add my personal notes.

Firstly,the zoom is somewhat iffy, probably because it's digital and not optical. I found that I was using zoom to negate the 'distant image' affect, i.e. where what you're photographing/videoing looks about 3 times as far away as it really is. The problem with doing this is that the resulting image is generally quite poor. Also, the zoom in/out while videoing was far from smooth, and definitely not recommended while shooting.

Personally, I find the lack of expandable memory a major limitation. I was using the camera in the more remote parts of East Africa and was unable to download any video or photographs. In consequence I was forced to reduce the video quality to 720 in order to conserve memory.

Not being an expert photographer, if the following can be done I couldn't find how to do it. I found that the camera would set the exposure settings for what it considered the optimum photograph. The downside of this was that on a couple of occasions I wanted to take a 'real' photograph of some absolutely stunning African sunset scenes, but the camera has turned them into rather mundane scenery shots, completely blitzing the amazing natural lighting effect. Still I guess you need a decent SLR to get the ideal lighting shot.

Overall though, I wanted a small video camera that I could easily fit into a belt pouch and this fitted the bill very well. The camera shots I got in normal light are quite exceptional and the video might have been better if I'd had the memory to shoot in full HD. To my mind the memory issue is the greatest shortfall for what is otherwise an ideal piece of equipment, if you need something that will take video and photographs while maximising compactness.