on 21 June 2011
Bottom line, this is a really good camcorder for the price. It is compact, lightweight and very easy to hold and use. The screen is clear and large although the touch controls can be a little fiddly but it just takes a bit of getting use to. The video and sound quality is superb but I haven't tried it in low light yet and I can record around 80mins of video on my 8GB SDHC memory card at the second to highest setting so I would really recommend a 16GB one as a minimum. I am currently using a Sandisk Ultra 2 (15ms Class 4) SDHC memory card and this seems to be fast enough. The only small negative, which seems to affect all camcorders, is the battery life. Don't get me wrong it's not bad I can probably get 120mins out of it and that's while playing back some of the recorded footage as I go along but it would have been nice to see Sony include the NP-FV70 and charge an extra £20 as this doubles the battery life. The only other possible negative is that the files are recorded in AVCHD format (have a .MTS extension) which not all operating systems and software recognise. For example Windows 7 can open and play the files but my Netgear Stora NAS box doesn't recognise the format. However, there are many MTS Converters available (just do a search on the internet) for £15- £20 that can convert the files to a more common format. Overall though, an excellent piece of kit which I would definitely recommend!
on 21 July 2011
It arrived on time, or well enough to be able to take it with us on vacation. The quality of the image is astonishing, excellent zoom (it's my first video camera that gives me a magnification of an object larger than what I can see with my naked eye; my previous videocamera was a sony minidv with 10x optical zoom).
The menus are easy enough to browse so I didn't need the manual, and barely browsed through the presentation booklet.
One thing to mention is the weight: very light (compared to what I'm used to). On the down side.... there is nothing!... well if I realy want to be picky, I would say that if I try to play it on my computer in the finest resolution 1080/50p, the video stream is so large that it looses syncronisation with the sound. In other words I need a video card with HDMI port and a similar screen, the DVI connection doesn't seem to provide enough band width.
on 3 August 2011
A very nice little camcorder with 'View Highlights' a good first step. However outside on a bright day it is very difficult to see the screen and there is no view finder! This applies to most new camcorders. I also find it odd that Sony Vegas Movie Studio recomend you use a 24P frame setting but this camcorder only gives settings of 50i or 50P. Picture quality straight from the camera on an HD Tele is very good. The Browser software that comes with the camera is also very good.
on 2 July 2011
The camcorder is actually smaller than I initially thought. I can fit it just in my pocket. The 77mins' battery life sounds very short. But actually it's about enough considering you are in LP mode and are not filming constantly. A 2060 mAh np-fh-70 battery costs 41 pound which is ridiculous expensive, although it can last 2 hours for highest quality filming. The 42X optical zoom-in is awesome which makes the camcorder a telescope. Another drawback I found about it is the sound quality. It can only record stereo sound( not 5.1) and there is no way to connect external mic or headphone. Overall, the item is very good for such a low price.
on 17 November 2011
I am a professional cameraman working with Hi end HD broadcast cameras on a daily basis. I got one of these cameras for some in car footage I needed to shoot, in quite difficult circumstances such as high lateral G forces amongst other issues. ( I film and photograph test cars to high levels for a living )
I imagined the image stabiliser would most likely struggle due to the moving around the camera did. To me it was seen almost a disposable camera and I wasnt too precious about it. If it broke I would get another one, sort of idea. I needed a flash card type as there were as few moving parts as possible, and a tape camera or DVD would not be ideal due to the G forces.

Well I can tell you here that this camera has performed faultlessly throughout, and the Image stabiliser manages to smooth out even the most extreme movements in the car.
The autofocus works very well, as does the auto exposure, and looking out of a dark interior into a bright sunny exterior is a as difficult a test as any camera would be asked to perform. The lens stacks up well against a £15,000 braodcast camera, and in fact looks even better than the £50,000 camera lens combination that we cut with it.

The only downside is very small, and in a camera of this cost and spec is not worth talking about. Just no external mic jack, and manual controls would also be nice, but not essential in a camera like this..

For my purposes it did the job well.. and then some, and I even went out and bought one for myself with my own money after I got one for the company I work for.

Check out the link here
[...]
on 29 July 2011
Bought this for a present and tried it before giving it. It is a remarkable camcorder for the money. The Steady Shot has to be seen to be believed. Colour rendition is great and Low Light shooting is very passable. Totally recommended.
on 4 September 2011
I was moving up from a Sony DCR - TRV25E which had given excellent service but was getting tired. I needed a camera that was compact, worked well in low light would also be wide angle and good zoom capabilities when needed. The Sony HCRCX130EB looked the ideal package. I have to say that I am not disappointed. The quality is superb and is so easy to either show direct from the video camera to TV with the clever USB lead in the handle but is also so easy to sink it with my Mac for further editing. I haven't got used to all the things it can do but will intend to in the coming months. The only reason I haven't given it a 5* is because the only way you can see what you are filming is through the fold out screen - there is no through the lens viewer as on my digital camera or my previous video camera, it seems that is the way they are all going and its not so good when the sun is shining on the screen. If you are looking for a great video camera though look no further good build, feels comfortable in the hand with controls easy to use, video quality is excellent and the price is good as well.
on 13 May 2011
This little HD cam is excellent in almost every way.
It's very small & compact, no tapes or hdd sucking your battery power, thats a real +.
However it does mean purchasing a good memory card (not included) I recommend Sony HG DUO 32GB.

It's full of modes & features that i'm not going to go into as there are too many, suffice to say they are all very good & very effective.
The picture quality is excellent, even in low light, plus it has a lowlux mode to help.
The zoom is amazing, but only a built in mic & no aux port for a separate one, but the built in one does a very good job.
I could go on & on about this handycam, singing it's praises and so on...but I won't.

Bottom line is (especially for the price) this HD camcorder is excellent, if you don't want to spend the earth but still want excellent HD this is the one.
I personally love it & would recommend it to anyone...Thanks to Amazon for the great service.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2011
We were very fortunate to own a Sony HDR-HC5 camcorder which was capable of really high quality images. However, with it being a tape based camera we didn't find it particularly convenient from a number of perspectives. As a result, we probably didn't use it as much as we should have done particularly with a new born baby. I actually found myself using my Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 much more (which also incidentally takes mind blowing video!). With baby number 2 on the way, we decided to plump for a new camcorder.

From experience, I was conscious that camcorders such as the Panasonic 3MOS range offered a great picture but were outside the upto £300 budget that we set ourselves. After a lot of searching we finally plumped for the Sony HDRCX130EB based on the reviews for it's video, it's size and zoom capability and finally it's really low price (particularly if you take in to account the cash back that Sony currently offer).

In terms of use it's very slick to use once you have it set up as you would like. Picture quality is pretty good in decent light (when viewed on a 42 inch Panasonic plasma and a 22 inch monitor) but isn't quite as good as the HDR-HC5 in low light (and definitely not as good as the 5D Mark 2) but that's to be expected at the price - I would like a bit more sharpness and punch from colours though. The image stabiliser is excellent and allows for really smooth panning. Sound seems to be pretty good with indoor use but I haven't tried it outdoors yet. There is the ability to use it for stills but it's not something that I've explored. Transfer of files using the neat inbuilt USB cable was easy enough and the bundled software isn't bad at all.

All in all, a decent buy for the money!
on 17 February 2012
After owning this camera since first release to use as an everyday camera I would recommend a second back up camera to be used along with this camera, because the USB adaptor which is built in to the camera by means of a single wire becomes very strained after prolonged use every day. The cable itself broke just before Christmas and I am having to put the camera in the lotus position to get it to upload the pictures now. It does not charge anymore by this method and I could not wait any longer to get the camera to play ball so I reverted to putting the SD card straight into my laptop.
I am not knocking Sony for their camera, it's perfect for vlogging and it still runs strong today but for a simple charging and uploading through a single wire without some kind of protection from kinking and everyday use does need to be looked into or at least strengthend if you plan to use this camera everyday.