5.0 out of 5 stars Much more interesting when I hold this in my hand.
Published on 16 Feb 2012 by R. Ting

3.0 out of 5 stars the digital diplays are too dim :-(
Almost everything is acceptable - watch has enough for it's price but with three to my mind quite significant exceptions:

1. the digital diplays have too low contrast: with fully charged battery on a bright sunny light you can see the
displays only at a special and quite narrow angel; If there's little bit darker outside, you can't see almost the...
Published on 31 Dec 2011 by AlexB

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more interesting when I hold this in my hand., 16 Feb 2012
R. Ting "Trader" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's G-Shock Combi Watch Gw-3500B-1Aer With Solar Powered Radio Controlled Resin Strap (Watch)
My last Casio watch was a Casio 1171 ATC-1100 - probably the first generation triple sensor watch from the early 1990's. It is still functioning but needs new batteries. The overall look and feel of the watch is much sturdier and well built. What is interesting is that when I put the watch down sideways (either side of the buttons facing down), the plastic / rubber lower casing touches the table/floor. The metal upper casing does not touch the floor so hopefully the scratching damage to the side is not as visible if it was all metal case.

I bought this here Amazon UK and have it shipped to N. America and the shipment arrived on time. Packaging were good and not damaged. Amazon US and Canada website does not have this watch available. It should be identical to the GW-3500B-1A.

Atomic clock sync / calibration: When the watch came, I tried to sync it manually but found out that I was too far away from Fort Collins, CO and could not sync it manually at anytime of the day. A little worried but the same evening I left it sitting properly and it synced with the atomic clock signal no problem. So now, whenever I needed it sync, I take it off at night and put it next to my bedside table and usually it syncs. In fact, I realized that in certain parts of N. America, the signal is out of range so better check your location with their online user manual and look for the atomic clock information for N. America - the signal source is in Fort Collins, CO.

Solar power: I put it under the bright sunshine a few days after I got it and have it charged to "H" or high. The battery indicator have not drop to "M" or medium ever since I did that a couple of weeks ago. If you use a magnifier, you can see which part of the face is actually solar batteries.

World time: 48 zones but it is interesting to play with the 1/2 hour time zones. Although I would imagine I could not use those personally, accessing them is easy. The only issue with it is that on the right hand side of the watch above the word "Light" and below the word "Search", there are the small words "REV" and "FWD" and I could not figure out what those words mean. It certainly does not mean cycling through the world time cities forward or reverse. World time cities only cycles in one direction and if you pass your desire city you have to keep going and cannot reverse. Will have to go through the manual in more detail.

Night glow: I read that the night glow of the dial is not that good. Frankly, it is about the same as other watches that I have. Also, the one LED light at the 6 o'clock position does an adequate job of illuminating the hands and I can read the smaller two sub-dials. So not as bad as some of the other reviews I read. I guess it also depends on personal eyesight / age. Yes, I agree that it would be nice if the entire face of the watch will light up.

I like the watch as it is and hopefully will find 20 years of use with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything in one watch, 10 Mar 2013
Mr. W. H. Cubbin "Watchman" (Cheshire England) - See all my reviews
The watch that does everything needed to in a watch.
1) No batteries ever needed.
2) No need to set time with it's radio controlled facility.
3) Water proof up to 200 metres.
I have had this watch a month now, quick delivery and it took about half an hour to set up. Could do with a magnifying glass to read the instructions but other than that no problems.
A push of a button changes the functions, alarm, stop watch and world time. With the watch picking up a UK signal it easily resets every night. The other radio controlled watches I own reset via Germany and it can be a bit hit and miss.
Great watch and it does not way a ton so it is very comfortable to wear.
Most high street jewellers sell the watch for £250, so pop in and take a look you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nearly 5 stars!, 7 Jun 2011
I decided to buy this watch as my normal watch will be away for 10 weeks getting repaired.I had whittled my choice down to this & the GW 3000 but after reading some negative reviews went with this one. First of all I would have went for the more expensive blue face but this is the only colour that comes with the rubber strap-Come on Casio give us more choice.Out of the box the yellow & black isn't quite as loud as the picture & the watch itself is slightly bigger than medium sized but not as large as some that I have seen,bigger than my Seamaster but not as big as a Breitling. This is not a watch to stick right on your wrist straight from the box,read the instructions especially if your time zone has DST as it's not quite as simple as set your country & go! The manual states that you can manually set the time but I couldn't figure it out & ended up having to leave it until it synced with the time signal.One review of this watch stated that the LED light allowed you to see the digital screens as well but the reviewer must have better eyes than me,yes you can see the screen but you can't read them but to be honest I've just got it set for the day/date at the minute so it's not essential.There are features of this watch that will be seldom used but I would suggest that every time that I will use them I will have to go back to the manual. The major draw for this watch,for me, is the solar power & atomic time keeping, that & I hope that it will last as long as the G-shock in my drawer that is still going after +20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome timepiece., 17 April 2012
Great watch. All my other watches, and I have a fair collection with a few exotic pieces, are now redundant. It sync's with the Atomic Clock daily, giving it an accuracy of +/- 1 second in sixty million years. The only poor thing is the band. It has a cheap feel to it. Hope it holds up. But still worth 5*.

3.0 out of 5 stars the digital diplays are too dim :-(, 31 Dec 2011

digits/words on the displays.
I don't know whethere it's possible or no - to encrease the contrast somewhere at a authorised service,
but without this, a numerous functions of the watch are not available - you can read the time only, just like
with a chip fake watch.

2. LED gives too concentrated light in the lower part of the dial, it is not equaly distributed all over
the dial - the upper part almost dark, so you can see arrows well if these are more or less horisontal
or located in the lower part of the dial. Digital displays are absolutely not visible.
Forget them in the darkness.

3. the absence of the seconds arrow - to my mind for the "aviator"-series watch it could be present for sure.

Anyway - it's Casio G-Shock with perfectly working radio control and solar power - it's a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor watch, 21 Feb 2013
John P. Cook (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought specifically to wear when golfing (4 days a week, frequently more than one of these in the rain!) and am doing so. The watch was easily set up (radio controlled) from instructions within the first hour. The alarm proved straight forward to set and use (in this case as a reminder) although for wake up I would have something louder. No problems were encountered in demonstrating count down and timer functions so they are there if I need them. I am unlikely to require illumination. All in all I am delighted and may well decide to use the watch when on holiday.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch with flaws, 22 May 2012
This is a nice watch to look at and the fact that it is a Casio G-shock means it is very high quality. As well as been solar powered and radio controlled the main reason I bought this watch was it had both analogue and digital displays however the main digital display is too small. It is difficult to see at a glance unless you are in good light and you need to hold the watch at a certain angle to see it clearly. Also the watch light does not iiluminate the digital displays and another problem is that even if you are in good light there is a chance the minute or hour hands are in the way of the 'small' display. All in all it is good watch (plus a very good price on Amazon) but if you are hoping to get good use out of the digital display you will be frustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Service, 19 Jun 2012
I recently ordered & received this G shock watch & it is exactly as it says it is in the advert, The service i received from the supplier was superb & it came to me as requested right on time, The watch itself is just as i imagined it to be, strongly built, very accurate & also quite stylish. There is all the instructions with it that you will ever need & they are easy to follow, To say that i am satisfied would be an understatement, I would not hesitate in recommending both the seller & the product at any time. Thank you yet again Amazon for a really great deal on a truly superb item!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, easy to read, comfortable and solidly built., 8 April 2012
William Elsley (Welwyn Garden City) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a Breitling, it is more accurate, harder wearing and easier to look after. Little competition really. I was lead to believe the Breitling was hard wearing but found this not to be the case, I was told dropping the watch had broken it! The Casio G-shock range, if you view their website, is clearly designed for much tougher use on a daily basis. I have a friend who experienced similar problems with an Omega watch and then bought a Citizen to replace it. Unless you are reasonably rich I would recommend a cheaper watch make such as Citizen, Seiko or the Casio G-shock range. These seem to be better value and more durable. This is just my opinion but I have looked at a lot of watches!

5.0 out of 5 stars his first comments were "I keep forgetting ime wearing it" so nice and light, 14 Oct 2014
Bought this as a present and The old fella is over the moon, his first comments were "I keep forgetting ime wearing it" so nice and light, the instruction manual isn't a patch on the product though tiny pages and tiny print which doesn't cover all of the dial settings, looked on you tube and found that much more helpful, hopefully this quick explanation of the small left sub dial that's not covered in the book will help, the abbreviations in white are covered in the manual but the yellow digits are vague, we have (after some swearing) come up with these -
C= out of power so needs charging
L= battery low
M= battery medium
H= battery high
Ps= power save mode
R= ready (receive mode) for time calibration signal reception
W= work which will be displayed whilst the reception is taking place
Hope the above helps :) the watch is a cracking well made time piece that's comfortable to wear and easy to read and hopefully will stand up to the building site knocks and bumps, atb k...