Style Name: Outland X 8 x 42 Roof Prism|Change

on 8 May 2012
I was searching for a replacement for my mini binoculars that were battered and to be honest were not that clear to see through. I thought a monocular would be ideal for my simple needs (mostly scouting ahead for paths when out walking/geocaching and admiring the view at the coast/in the countryside, i wanted something compact, easy to use and weather proof.

Doing a bit of research i discovered that a lot manufacturers sell binoculars with big magnification (the first number in the 6x30 or 12x25) however larger magnifications are practically useless without a tripod and what was more important was the size of the objective lens- the end you don't directly look through (the second number in the 6x30). A larger lens can let more light through and therefore give you a much clearer image. This explains why my "bargain" 12x25 binoculars gave dull shaky images.

The celestron outland 6x30 ticks all the right boxes for my needs, it is easy/quick to use and gives crisp, clear images.Good value for money without spending too much.

EDIT- just done a dusk test vs my old binos. i'm even more pleased with my purchase. the diffence is night and day!
This monocular is pretty good overall. And for the most part, I'd agree with the other reviewers but to my mind, at the price I paid (a smidge under 30), it could be a bit better (as well as being more accurately described).

For a start, whilst it comes with a belt-looped carry case, there aren't any protective caps for the ends. Which means very frequent cleaning of the case bc dust is far harder to keep off the lenses without caps (and in my experience, any touching/wiping of the lenses gradually wears down the protective coating so the less you do this the better).

Also, it's actually quite weighty, especially so when you consider that the Silva Pocket scope which got me started on all this, only weighs 45g (and might therefore be seen as an ideal addition for lightweight backpacking). The reason I didn't select either this one or similar (Barska Style, Brunton Echo Pocket etc.) is the poor usability at dusk due to a lack of light collection (the end figure divided by the magnification). This opinion is based as well on my experience with a historic pair of Tasco's 8x21. Whilst they're fine during a sunny day, I much prefer less magnification for a brighter image that you know you can rely on at dawn/dusk as well [SEE PICS ABOVE for side-by-side size comparison].

In this, the Outland 6x30 is MUCH better, with a good field of view (spectacle wearers should have the lens flush with their glasses - it easily twists up & down) together with very good clarity, even at low light levels without paying much more for the best in optics.

One bugbear for me however, is the inaccurately described weight. All over the Net, it states that this Celestron monocular weighs 170g, including when you click on "technical specifications" on its Amazon webpage. In contrast, the summary description states a product weight of 290g (quite a difference therefore). Even more intriguing, on the box containing the monocular the weight is stated as being 227g.

Well, having accurately weighed the one I was sent, none of the quoted weights were valid, as it weighed 218g on its own, with the nylon case weighing 23g. Has the product changed? Is there much variation between products & if so, does the quality between them vary? I'll probably never know...

Finally, the little label (on mine anyway) has been stuck on skew-whiff (a minor point I know, but they do all add up) & doesn't really give the impression that this item is true quality.

Overall therefore, I figure that 4 stars is valid for the price & expectations of this useful (albeit a bit bulky & heavy) piece of kit.
review image
on 29 August 2012
I decided to purchase a monocular after finding binoculars difficult to use when I developed double vision.
I chose the Celestron Outland X 6x30 monocular after reading the reviews and I'm very pleased with it. I used when on safari in South Africa. It was light and easy to carry and it enabled me to see animals far away in the bush.
I practiced with it before going and found it needed very little adjusting to focus on the different animals .
Good value for money and does what it claimed.
I bought this for my elder sister as it has a wide field of view and she only has dainty hands, so normal binoculars are heavy and bulky for her.
She has a lovely, small garden in rural Essex and loves watching the wildlife that visits.
Add to this the fact that she is only partially sighted in one eye, and, has an in-joke fascination with all things piratey, it was a functional gift with an element of humour.
I hoped it would be "ok".... But was very pleasantly surprised when she rang me full of gushing praise and joy at her new toy!
For short distance viewing it is perfect ( apparently) with great light capture, crystal clear close up imaging of the subjects, is steady in the hand with its ergonomic design, has a heavy duty rubberised casing to prevent damage by shock or water, and is very easy to focus.
All in all, I have a very happy sister, and I am a very happy buyer.
on 28 December 2012
The optics are good enough: a bit of aberration, but nothing serious. The binocular is compact and light. The price is fair. Used it on a couple of occasions for birdwatching. Bought two more from Amazon.it.
on 29 March 2013
great binocs for bird watching brings things up real close light and easy to use would recommend to anyone great service
on 31 December 2013
I tried several sets of more expensive binoculars out, but could not find a pair worth spending the extra money on. I bought these as they were the right spec, a lot cheaper, and from a reasonable named company. I was not disappointed. The field of view, clarity and light available through these binoculars is excellent. I have only had them for a week, but have used them for bird watching and star gazing. The pleiades star cluster was amazing. Viewing through them was very easy compared to others I tried. I feel so lucky to have purchased these, when I had never even tried them before.
on 4 January 2013
Great monocular perfect for the walker, very small & easy to use. Great value for money & won't be using binoculars again.
on 12 November 2013
For a 10x compact roof prism binocular these cannot be faulted. They fit in the hand very well and the fingers of the left or right hand are well placed to focus. They are usable with glasses and the twist up eye cups for eye relief adjustment is ok but as these are compact it is not a brilliant field of view. Without glasses, however the clarity, field of view and brightness are, in my opinion, excellent for binos of this size which easily fit in a large coat pocket. These binoculars are small enough to take anywhere and at the right price are a steal.
on 1 December 2013
Wanted a cheapish pair of binoculars to leave in the kitchen for watching birds in the garden, I have used these for several weeks and been pleased with them. We have more expensive pairs for bird watching trips but these are good for the garden as they have a 17ft near focus. They have twist rather than rubber eye relief cups which are much better with glasses.