5.0 out of 5 stars A nostaligic visit to the Eighties
Published on 24 Oct. 2011 by J. R. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disapointment!
Published on 28 May 2011 by A. W. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A nostaligic visit to the Eighties, 24 Oct. 2011
J. R. Turner "Jenny" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jemima Shore Investigates - The Complete Series [DVD] [1983] (DVD)
I've seen the low starred reviews for this dvd set but don't agree. The Eighties were a different time and it's a bit silly to make pointed references to violence against women in a story on this dvd when this has been endemic in every time period throughout history. The 'Splash of Red' wasn't my favourite story but I really enjoyed each of the self-contained mysteries and think that Patricia Hodge is perfectly cast as the aloof, dismissive private detective who seems to be running some kind of ad-agency at the same time. I very much enjoyed the series and would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disapointment!, 28 May 2011
A. W. Wilson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I can sort of see where Lois marshall is coming from. My wife and I found the first 2 eps "Slash of Red" quite unpleasant in its casual accepance of violence against women. A wildly overacting Ken Hutchison, bashes Jemima to the floor with a right hook and she actually seems (I stress - seems- ) to enjoy it. Throughout the 2 parter Hutchison constantly threatens brutal beatings to women (and men) and it's all OK!! As for the ending. Hopeless isn't the word. We've seen 3 other eps so far and they haven't been so poor. They are slow of course compared to todays Frantic pace, and that's not necesarily a bad thing, but it is a bit here. Some nice location shooting in London, but the acting is bad on the whole (a bit like it was in "Hannay"). Did we think it was at the time? Pat Hodge tries hard, it's her series, but she is badly supported. The prints are fine picture wise, but I found some of the sound muffled. It's hard to recomend this, and I hate being negative, but with this series I feel it's only fair to express my reservations. 5 July 2011...I have now seen all the eps. and I can't change my opinion. This is not a good series, and it's in the production and writing that it falls down almost completely. Sound levels vary alarmingly, direction is all over the place, with pauses and fluffs. The actors generally look uncomfortable, and I have to say, I just can't recomend this except for the very determined and curious (tho I still remain a Patricia Hodge fan).

5.0 out of 5 stars Olden days dvd, 11 May 2014
Great reminder of days gone by big hair and outlandish clothes but a lively story which kept me to the end

5.0 out of 5 stars Good clean corny fun, 8 Feb. 2013
I am nostalgic of time gone by and this is a series from the 70's . Recommended if you like times gones by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good crime series, 7 July 2014
Good series for crime lovers. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Past Investigations well worth a second Look!!, 21 July 2014
Good to enjoy again the talents of the actors of past shows. Particularly the one appearance of the versatile character actor Hugh Burden. How I wish we had more examples of his great talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jemima Shore Investigates - The Complete Series, 12 Jan. 2015
This series is as good as when first shown in 1983, with a very good cast of actors and very good story lines a nother great one to add to my collection

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 8 Jan. 2014
R. Walker - See all my reviews
Could the 80s really have been this beige? Could the wonderful Patricia Hodge really have worn the Princess Di wardrobe and expressed all emotion by adjusting the degree to which her mouth hung open? Not that the supporting cast is much better. In the first episode the most animated character is the cat. (Nothing horrible happens to the cat, just in case anyone was worried.)

The biggest difficulty with watching this now is the shift in values that make the tolerance of the drunken, violent behavior of one man very jarring. We watch an alleged investigator unable to defend herself with a well-placed knee to the groin or slap down the impertinent groping and kissing of a complete stranger. We are expected to sympathize with the murderer. As a historical curiosity this might be an interesting purchase but it has aged very badly. (Miranda's mother would have known just what to do to them!)

I'm not sure I'm even going to make it through the whole series.

5.0 out of 5 stars ø¤ºTOPº¤ø, ¸¸, ø¤SELLER¤ø, ¸¸, ø¤ºMANYº¤ø, ..., 24 Feb. 2015
ø¤ºTOPº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤SELLER¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºMANYº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºTHANKSº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºA+º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºA+º¤

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Sept. 2014
Very unusual and quite dated TV series. Still enjoyable. Quick Delivery.

Jemima Shore Investigates - The Complete Series [DVD] [1983]