5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY EPIC!
I was fortunate enough to see a live performance of "UNIKO" on the SkyArts channel a while back, and it caught my attention instantly. The music is indeed truly EPIC!

Published on 1 Mar 2011 by Yanek

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit ordinary?
I know everyone has raved about this on all the Amazon sites and I hate to be in such a minority. The music is attractive and sometimes (but only sometimes) is actually haunting. Overall, though, I find it doesn't sustain my interest over the whole CD and even when it does have my attention I'm not exactly wowed with it!

I didn't know what to expect when I...
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by enthusiast

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY EPIC!, 1 Mar 2011
Yanek (GLASGOW, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pohjonen: Uniko (Audio CD)

The Kronos Quartet is a group I was already familiar with, and a fan of their music. On this recording, they are joined by two remarkable musicians from Finland - Kimmo Pohjonen (accordion and voice), and Samuli Kosminen (string and accordion sampling, programming). Kimmo Pohjonen and Samuli Kosminen write all the music on this album.

The Kronos Quartet deserve great credit too for their wonderful performance. There are times when they sound like a full orchestra. It's astonishing. This is difficult music, but in keeping with their reputation, the Kronos Quartet play perfectly. There are also some wild solos too, which sound like Jimi Hendrix! There are many more tender, reflective moments in the music too, which create beauty and balance. This is a brilliant collaboration between fantastic, innovative musicians.

This music is an extraordinary mix of experimental Classical music and modern sampling, which blend seamlessly to produce a unique and breathtaking sound. Samuli samples the accordion and strings, and then plays them on an electronic percussion pad as rhythmic patterns. He also creates more abstract sounds and effects to add even more to the music.

Kimmo Pohjonen is like no other accordion player I have seen! Yes, there is a slight gypsy style in his playing, but he goes much, much further. His accordion playing is amazing. He also incorporates effects into his sounds, which take the familiar sound of "an accordion" into highly experimental territory. Imagine an accordion through a phaser or distortion pedal. He is also an extremely emotive musician - whether while playing electro-accordion or using his voice as an instrument. His solos are dramatic and edgy.

The audio quality of this CD is excellent, and through a good hi-fi, there is so much going on. Even although I watched a live performance of this work, this album continues to reveal so much more. It is impossible to categorize this music, but if you like something different and adventurous, then I recommend this album highly. "UNIKO" is a beautiful piece of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORDS FAIL ME, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Pohjonen: Uniko (Audio CD)
This is only the second time in 10 years that I have written a review on here, but "review" is far too grand a word for what I'm about to say.

I came across one of the tracks on a CD sampler (plug here for the excellent Songlines magazine). I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Every so often, just when I'm getting in a musical rut, along comes something so totally different that it just blows my socks off - and how. Once I'd heard the sample track (Plasma, Track 2), I was on to Amazon to buy the whole thing. I've played it about 5 times now, it's not instantly accessible music, far from it, each time I listen, there is so much more going on. It's music for people who like to listen 100% to music - this is not to be treated as "background music", that would be scandalous. These musicians are so talented.

There is another review here which describes the music far better than I can, I'm not going to try. Just go and buy it. If you're not sure, then check out YouTube, you can watch a live performance of the whole composition - it's astonishing in itself to think that this music could be played live, and so faithfully to the original as well. And Amazon, come on, I'd love to buy the DVD that appears on YouTube, but you don't seem to sell it.....get some in stock, please!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Pohjonen: Uniko (Audio CD)
Recordings that sound great on first hearing are rare. Imagine it getting even better from there on. This is music like I have never heard before. In a way there are just two instruments: an accordeon and the Kronos Quartet, that get electronically manipulated to sound like..., yes, like what? This is every music lovers' dream that one could file under classical or rock or jazz or fusion or even folk or electronic or dance or best cd of 2011.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit ordinary?, 27 Sep 2011
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pohjonen: Uniko (Audio CD)

I didn't know what to expect when I bought it. I think Amazon chose it as something I might be interested in because I have enjoyed some Kronos Quartet records. But this is more experimental rock music than modern classical and is not that good anyway. It sounds a bit like a Brian Eno collaboration but perhaps not as good as Eno's best.

Three and a half stars would have been fair (between "it's OK" and "I like it") but given the hype I marked it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kronos/Uniko, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Uniko (MP3 Download)
An astonishing work. I too, watched this on an arts programme and it captivated me from the opening bars. I agree with the reviewer who said lie back, relax and let the music wash over you. Unforgetable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite!, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pohjonen: Uniko (Audio CD)
Absolutely stunning collection of sounds, melodies, rhythms & emotions. Don't prevaricate; buy this. It is one of the most important musical purchases I have made in recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and dreamy, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Uniko (MP3 Download)
I bought the CD soon after seeing the concert in Barbican, last 18th Sep. Since then, I have been listening to it almost every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a Kronos fan you must have this album, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Pohjonen: Uniko (Audio CD)
I was fortunate enough to witness this performance live not long ago. I ordered this CD on the next day before the fresh memories fade away. Its atmosphere is simply other wordly. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pohjonen: Uniko (Audio CD)
I don't have the music terminology to describe adequately the compelling grip that this CD overwhelms you with. The instrumentation(?) works brilliantly. It is intense and dramatic at times, dreamy and ethereal at others. I love just lying in bed and being swept along by it.

Uniko