5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Fivefingers.
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Size problem
Look good but - These came up very small. At least one good size under what I expected and they are very narrow too.
Published 13 months ago by Will R

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Fivefingers., 18 Jun 2012
I discovered barefoot running 18 months ago. Prior to that, i had been running for 30 years, often interrupted by repetitive injuries such as chronic Bursitis, shin splints, partially torn achilles tendons etc... All the so-called Sport Specialists/Physios prescrived ultra sound, infrared, laser and more padding because my left leg is half an inch shorter than my right leg (most people have a similar issue). Still, every time i pushed up the mileage/km (being almost 50, I used to run 2 eight K and one ten K a week) I'd end up having more treatment, off running for two or three weeks.

Running with my wife 18 months ago on a very muddy day, i met a fellow runner who wore KSO Fivefingers. He was slightly overweight, did not look particularily fit, but intrigued, we asked about his shoes. His reply was " i have just done 18 miles and I am on my way back" whilst My wife and I had done about 4 miles. We ran together for a further 3 miles and as we departed he shouted to us "Read Born to Run, Christopher mc Dougall" which we promptly did. Two weeks later i acquired a pair of Inov8 with very little gradient on the soles, rated 2 & 1/2 arrows. Within three months i had almost doubled my mileage without a single injury. i could run 14 to 18K three times a week completely pain free.

A couple of months ago, my wife decided to try KSO Fivefingers. We went to our local triathlon shop and tried them. My wife found a perfect fit, whilst i struggled as my toes a curled (i was born in the Pyrenees, hill climbing from a very young age)and i could find a comfortable fit. a couple of weeks ago i discovered by chance, Merrell True Gloves and purchased them, without actually trying them. A bit of a gamble.

The verdict is: Perfect. It has the "glove fit" close to the ground effect of the Fivefingers however the toe box gives you the freedom and allows for any toe shapes (including mines). It feels like running barefoot, just protected by a 4mm shoes, strong enough to negotiate every pebble or stones. I had a short 5K to test them and it felt great. i was slighly aching as certain muscles had to support my feet more than normal, however it was what i call "good" ache, all the true runners will kow what i mean. I am size 8 running shoes, slightly small 8 though with medium to broad feet and the fit was just perfect. The freedom on the toe box is as good as the one on the Inov8 (which i love too).

In a nutshell; it is the perfect progression from shoes such as Inov8 and it is a perfect shoes from people without perfect toes.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite shoes, 24 Oct 2012
Justin Murphy (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
I use these for general wear as ordinary trainers, and for outdoor runs on sharp ground. They are great either with or without socks. The low heel feels good for my posture. A doctor told me that I had "fallen arches" and wanted me to wear special insoles but in fact it was just a question of posture that I have fixed - at least when I am barefoot or wearing minimalist shoes - by paying attention to the position of my knees, ankles and feet (cf Alexander Technique).

For running on the treadmill in the gym, I wear my Fivefingers, which are perfect for that use but whose soles are too thin for the paths near my home (some sort of concrete with sharp stones). (I think you can get Fivefingers with thicker soles nowadays.)

These Merrells are a perfect general trainer for someone who has seen the light and wants to move away from the excessive cushioning on the soles of standard sports shoes. But try Fivefingers too: the world is big enough for both. A word on the sizing: I normally take UK size 11 (Euro 45 or 46) and originally ordered these in a UK 11, but they were too small for me and I exchanged them for a UK size 12 (Euro 47). The bigger size fits me perfectly, with a lot of room for the toes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Going to get a Spare Pair, 15 Sep 2012
I love these running shoes. They are thick enought to protect you from foot damage from sharp objects but thin and flexible enough that you can feel what's going on underneath your feet. When I first bought them they gave me blisters at the back of my ankles because the rear of the shoe started out quite hard. This was solved with a little anti-chafing stick and time for the shoes to soften.

I will definitely be buying another pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best footware I've ever owned, 31 July 2012
These are what I've been searching for for years. They fit
I've a glove and offer just enough arch support whilst letting you're feet work naturally.

3.0 out of 5 stars Size problem, 29 Jun 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but poor stiching, 13 April 2013
S. A. Bowman - See all my reviews
I like this footwear. Made well, feel comfortable, etc. The only gripe is that one of the stitches runs up the inside by the heel and rubs against my Achilles causing a blister. I have has these 'gloves' for nearly a year and tried my hardest with them - even trying to form a callus but no use. Merrlel please stitch somewhere else next time

4.0 out of 5 stars A big improvement on "cushion-soled" trainers, 30 Oct 2012
A. Niall (UK) - See all my reviews
Got a pair of these in green a few months back for martial arts purposes - a vast improvement on those gimmicky trainers with padded type soles that feel as though you are wearing 70's style platform shoes ! - you can actually feel the ground (as with the Feiyue kung fu shoe). A suggested improvement if the manufacturers are reading this would be to make them waterproof - much better when practising outdoors in the rain or on wet grass.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice shoes, shame they don't last, 10 Aug 2013
Used for casual use but pretty much disintegrated after a few months of light use. OK if u get em cheap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to wear, 25 July 2012
I bought these as my first minimal support runner and was sadly disappointed with them.
When I was in school I had a pair of doc marten shoes. They were more comfortable to run in.

The upper is very rigid and seems to be made out of plastic?
Where my toes arch up a ridge across the shoe rubs across your foot where the shoe bends.

I also experienced hotspots at the edge of my foot near my little toe.
There is also a knot at the ankle on the left runner causing another hotspot.
Oddly this knot is only on the left one and not the right. I can only guess that the stitching was not done correctly.

Inside the runner I found my feet getting very warm & sweaty in them.
Because they were so 'pinchy' I could only wear them with socks, making my feet even hotter.

Overall I found them an extremely poor fitting and a long way from what I would expect from a minimal trainer.