4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jurassic
This was such a different film when it first came out, creating a dinosaur from the blood ingested by a Jurassic period mosquito. Imagine it, a theme park with live dinosaurs!

Published 20 months ago by SBno1

3.0 out of 5 stars What you see is not what you get.
You do not get the gatefold case, the cardboard sleeve or any literature, you get the four discs and basic plastic case, pretty basic for the Ultimate collection. Haven't watched the dvd's yet but if the quality is as poor as previous reviews have stated I will return them. AMAZON please amend the photograph to reflect what you are actually selling.
Published on 9 April 2009 by Mr. Dr. Pritchatrd

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jurassic, 22 Sept. 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy [Blu-ray][Region Free] (Blu-ray)

Most people are aware of the plot of this great film. Dino theme park, something goes wrong and all hell breaks loose. After that there are just different reasons to return to Dino Isle.

The first film is by far the best, with the other 2 stretching the theme a bit. A forth film is due in 2015, but I think they have milked it enough - we'll have to wait and see.

The blu-ray quality is second to none. I had a much better appreciation of the film than I did with the DVD version. The reptilian skins seem much more real.The audio has transferred well with the all important and infamous thump, thump when T-rex is homing in - that really does resonate well through the speakers.

I bought my set for 8GBP and for that I had a bargain and excellent VFM. At the time of writing the set is at 17GBP - I don't think it is worth that much. Put it on your wish list and watch for the price to drop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Poor Delivery, 15 Mar. 2013
G. Mellis "Seahorses in Japan" (Placentia, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love all the Blu-rays that I bought. I had not intended to re-buy movies on blu-ray that I already had on dvd, but after buying the Harry Potter set at such a great price with prompt delivery. I bought seven of the "sets": Mission Impossible, The Mummy, Indiana Jones, Toy Story, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, and the Bourne series. The prices were unbelievable and they all play fine. I am especially happy with the Toy Story series as I have waited a long time to buy it in the States and can't. I bought this set, and while the title didn't say Region-free, the detail did. And yes, it, along with all of the others played fine on my U.S. blu-ray (well, I just made sure the machine could read them). Delivery was another issue. They did not come when promised. I called Amazon and the were VERY good about it. They offered an immediate refund, no questions asked---except, I didn't want a refund. So, they changed it and resent it. I received Jurassic Park by itself, and as of 3/14/13, still have not received the other six. However, the original box arrived about 3 weeks late, ripped open, but will all of the blu-rays still there. Well, at least I got them, they all play, the price was FANTASTIC, and Amazon service gets an A+ for caring. I tell all my friends to order from the Amazon UK site. Oh, I was very surprised to to see that the price shown INCLUDES shipping, which I didn't find out until I ordered. Again, just make sure anything you order says REGION-FREE somewhere in the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent transfer - Quality up there with the best, 28 Jun. 2012
Cool films from part of my childhood, what big kid doesn't like dinosaurs? I bought this when the price was at it's lowest ( I think ) at around 11.99 GBP. Amazon posted to Poland without a problem as usual and the item arrived in perfect condition as it always does! Couldn't be happier with the service. Now for the films, well they haven't changed any since I saw them in the cinema so I needn't mention the plot.

We got a new LED 3D tv 400Mhz something or other by LG. So I was expecting big things in terms of quality. I think I might need a better HDMI cable (any suggestions? ) but with a pants HDMI lead, the quality is sublime. Blacks are blacks and the action looks so good. The sound is clear though the old amp we have and its really a much better experience. The Blu Ray transfer as I have heard it called looks great! No faults found by myself.

Might as well buy it if you have 14 quid or so lying about. It's a class film that you should all see at some point!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawless sound with improved picture., 2 Nov. 2011
This review concerns the Jurassic Park Blu-Ray set. I have watched all three films and the transfer is satisfactory and while the picture is not flawless it is quite good. I am glad I bought this set, I have heard there is some grain but I didn't really spot any even in darker scenes. The scene in the first film with the T-Rex breaking out of the paddock had great picture. If anything it is the third film that has the worst quality. This is a good set and while not everyone will be satisfied with the picture the sound is incredible. The 7.1 Audio certainly makes itself known as I was able to tell even in the first scene that it is a vast improvement over TV broadcasts and DVD and arguably rivals the cinematic release in terms of quality. I again refer to the T-Rex paddock scene with the volume turned on loud it was amazing to hear. If you have a decent sound system I would highly recommend this set and I would consider getting better sound equipment for this purpose. The extras are decent but not fantastic, the new documentary 'Return to Jurassic Park' would have been better if only it had been a little longer just seemed too brisk and I would liked to have seen more. It features good archival features as well, but the only deleted scenes I have seen are for the second film with only two of them anyway. The one thing I would have liked are deleted scenes of the first film and yet they have failed to surface on this set.
To summarise though I would recommend this set as the sound quality makes up for any picture that isn't quite up to scratch but when it is up to scratch you'll see that it is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back to 1993 when Dinosaurs ruled the earth!!!, 1 Sept. 2005
Everybodies seen Jurassic Park but if you hav'nt...what are you waiting for? Even looking back, it's amazing that a 12 year old film can still have such brilliant special effects. These dinosaurs LOOK REAL!!! You don't think of them as special effects but as actual creatures and Spielberg never lets you forget that their not just a bunch of monsters but animals. Great cast-Sam Niel, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenburgh are all excellent (a then little known Samuel L Jackson has a supporting role too!). The action is delivered with just the right amount of suspense. The end scene with the raptors is tops. 10/10
The Lost World is not bad but feels pretty uninspired. Jeff Goldblum as clown figure=great but his character as a leading man just dos'nt work and you can't help but want Sam Neil in his place. Julianne Moore and Pete Postlewait are much better but mainly the films just lukewarm as if Spielberg just wanted a film about people being chased by dinosaurs. The T-Rex and raptors are back and the really little ones have a scene stealing moment but on the whole it's not a patch on the original. 6/10
Jurassic Park 3 is much better. Joe Johnston dispenses with most the ethics subtext and concentrates on delivering a theme park ride of a movie. Short and sweet. The new dinosaurs are excellent Pterodons finally get an action scene after being introduced by Spielberg about 5 seconds before the end of the second film .Sam Neil is back reminding you just how great the first film was and the raptors are developed further and unlike the Lost World where they seened a bit foolish, come across as just as dangerous as in the original movie. The ending is a let down (I guess it was meant to be tense but it isn't coz we know the characters will survive) and theres a major cop out but overall a fun movie. 8/10
Great range of special features. Mainly on the effects. Theres a few things I would have liked to see-why does the Lost World disc contain the Dinosaur Encyclopedia for the creatures from the first film only? But overall this is near enough to be truly considered the Ultimate Edition of these films. Great. And the price dos'nt hurt for what you get too!

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you call a blind dinosaur?, 5 Aug. 2005
Mr. J. WARE "wolvieware" (London) - See all my reviews
Do-you-think-he-saurus!
Without a doubt a collection of some of the finest movies ever put on film.
Firstly, with Jurassic Park, a film which redefined movie history. Realistic computer effects put in the ``Ooohhh!'' factor - and nothing ever beat seeing that on the big screen. The dinosaurs are just as impressive to us, as they are to Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) when he sees them for the first time. The dinosaurs look living and breathing, and still look good today.
Even on the small screen, it doesn't take anything away from the film. This is mainly down to Spielberg's great direction, building the suspense by keeping most of the dinosaurs out of view for the entire first half of the film. And then exploding them out in a action packed ending.
Everything is authentic - the look, the roars, the interaction with the human cast - astounding. OK, everybody has seen it, but it's worth adding to your DVD collection.
Unfotunately The Lost World is not as good (3 stars). It is more of the same. Once again, a slow build up that is actually boring, but at least the dinosaurs appear earlier too. The plot line of rescuing someone stuck on dino island is pretty thin, but once the action kicks in you don't mind so much. The cliff top fight with the T-Rex and the trailer, and the Raptors in the long grass stand out, as does Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcolm. However, the T-Rex in the city ending feels tacked on, and fairly pointless. Dissapointing.
Luckily Part 3 picks up again (4 stars). It's a cut to the chase movie. No introduction - let's just get the characters onto Dino isle, and have them run through the forest narrowly missing being chomped on by huge teeth. Taken as it is, it's a non-stop thrill ride for 90 minutes. The dinos are even more impressive, theres some great humour, and a big ruck between a Spinosaurus (The new bad dino on the block) and a T-Rex which looks stunning.
Spielberg passed directing duties over to Joe Johnston for this, and he proves a fair whack at the action. Impressive.
Overall, it's a must-have collection for anybody, not just movie fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars How far we've come since then, 5 April 2014
Mr Yeltsin (CHESTER, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These films are great little romps through dino-world gone bad, and still look pretty good after all these years, but Blu-Ray does expose the fact that rendering dinosaurs these days has come on in leaps & bounds. My son is currently obsessed with dinosaurs, and watching the Beeb's Planet Dinosaur demonstrates the improvements in CGI since then, as well as all the new data the Palaeontologists have uncovered since then. I could do without John Hurt calling anything with fangs a "killer" every few seconds though. But I digress...

Check in your brain at the lounge door, grab a brew and enjoy some classic scenes of peope running away screaming from the big bad dinosaur in the best quality you can (unless you have 3D). Why does that kid start waving the torch about in the first film though? I mean... why? The Spinosaurus in the 3rd film is my favourite, but Tea Leoni's screaming did get on my nerves after a while. You just know all the nasty people are going to get dismembered (and a few of the good guys too - very heroically of course), and I'd kind of forgotten Peter Stormaire's cameo in Lost World as an appetiser for a bunch of tiny Compsognathus? Compsognathii?. I can't believe I didn't even need to look that up... oh the things that parenthood teaches you!

Good fun, and a good price. Having seen my son unfazed by the blood and guts of Planet Dinosaur, I'm wondering if he'd be ok watching this. Probably best to wait until he asks... cue the call from social services!

5.0 out of 5 stars When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth, 13 Dec. 2013
Vez82 (Birkenhead, Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
The movie that caught the imagination of the world and spanned generations. Back in the day when CG was in it's junior phase and people were still buzzing over the effects of the T1000 in Terminator 2: Judgement Day the year before, Jurassic Park bowled all others out of the water and still holds up to todays standards, which is impressive for a 20 year old movie.

Watching it now it is easy to pick holes in plot and it generally follows the template for a creature feature family horror movie, also the science related to cloning is flawed, but the grandure of the venture and the effects of the dinosaurs coupled with the railroad of exciting chase scenes and danger element allows for a thrill ride all the family will enjoy and any negatives the film throws up, you are willing to forgive.

The two sequels are admittedly retracing the same steps of the original, without any real introduction of new concepts, but again it is forgivable to die hard fans who want to see their favourite characters fighting for survival, and another excuse to watch a film with dinosaurs in it.

This movie franchise has become staple diet to film fan families and is now inspiring the next generation with its ground breaking effects, much like the Ray Hausen did for 40 years. With Jarassic World due for release in 2015 and Walking with Dinosaurs 3D out this Christmas, Dino movies look like they may be here to stay and this box set is a great collectors item to have, to remember were it all began.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent box set!, 11 May 2012
Jurassic Park has always been one of my all-time favorite films. Being a huge fan of both Steven Spielberg, dinosaurs and science fiction, this has it all (though it isn't too heavy on the sci-fi part). Needles to say, I was thrilled when I heard they were releasing it on blu-ray as a box set. You most likely already know about the three films included in this box set, so let's get into the quality of their transfer to blu-ray.

Jurassic Park: This film has a very good transfer, and doesn't seem to have a lot of DNR (though it would have benefitted from it in certain scenes). The scenes where the dinosaurs are CG animated looks really good, and feels even more impressive when you consider that the film is from 1993!
There are a few scenes where the picture goes really grainy. It doesn't ruin the experience by any means, but if you're not a big fan of grain or the movies original print, you might be a little put off by it (especially if you're a blu-ray picture quality purist). Overall, the picture quality is really good. The sound is also excellent, though I haven't had a chance to watch it with 5.1 or 7.1 yet, as I only have a stereo setup at the moment. John Williams' classic score really comes to life here, even with a decent stereo setup! The sound effects and dialogue is also really well done in this release. It should be noted that I did notice at least one part near the end of the film, where one of the screams was really distorted. All in all, I would rate this film 9/10 (not based on the film itself).

The Lost World: Jurassic Park: Without doubt, the worst looking of the three. It's not that the film looks bad, it just doesn't seem to have gotten the same amount of attention as the first one (the third one looks better by default, as it's a newer film the the previous two). I watched this right after seeing the first one, and I instantly noticed a difference between the two. It just doesn't have the same amount of polish as the first one. Some scenes do look really great though, especially the ones with the T-Rex running wild in San Diego. The sound is pretty much the same as the first one, and doesn't disappoint at all! I would rate this 7/10 (mostly based on the lazy picture transfer. It should have looked much better!)

Jurassic Park III: This one looks amazing for a 11 year old film! It's not as good as the first one in terms of story and acting, but a decent popcorn flick, with many enjoyable scenes. Not much more to say about the transfer, other than that it looks great and is on par with the first two in the sound department as well. Rating 9/10

This is an excellent release, and the asking price is insanely low compared to other big releases like this. I would definitely recommend any fan of the series, as well as newcomers and hardcore blu-ray collectors to pick it up! It packs a ton of special features and extras, as well as digital copies of all three films. Even if the second movie looks a bit blurry and grainy in some places, this is a must buy for any movie fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great trilogy packed with exciting adventures for the whole family, 7 Feb. 2010
Jurassic Park

Two archaeologists are whisked away to a private island where they discover their tour guide has managed to find a scientific solution to bring dinosaurs back to life.
1993 and Spielberg continued to knock out blockbusters and this dinosaur caper is a revolutionary mark on cinematic scale which paved the way for two sequels that never matched the uniqueness, the anticipation and the awe of this action adventure. Jurassic park contains those moments of brilliance, the ripples of water, the dinosaur in the rear view mirror and the raptors. This is a great family adventure, showcased at an actioner not too scary for young ones and not too shallow for the older viewer, a masterpiece that is endlessly watchable with a brilliant score and performances.

The Lost World

The sequel to the phenomenal 1993 released broke box office records once more and with all the excitement and eagerness surrounding its release its no wonder it disappointed many, we all expect too much. However this has a validation to its failure. For one the charisma of Jeff Goldblum's Malcolm from the first film is lost in a sea of ordinary scripting and there is no humour to match the bored expressions. Using Vince Vaughn, and many other middle aged men fail to generate any form of excitement, even using two T-Rex's lost out with many in a 100% unrealistic trailer shakeup. Whilst there is mild consolation in the raptor field chase and a T-Rex in the real world there is no redemption to be salvaged as this constant usage of dinosaurs meant they were no longer exciting and fierce but more a mere formulaic style that adds little excitement and freshness to a series that needed it.

Jurassic Park III

The final instalment is a redemption of the atrocious second outing, using a tense script and a knowledgeable selection of dinosaur attacks to generate that same feeling as the first, a blend of anticipation that wasn't scary but had you on the edge of your seat. Here we have many new dinosaurs a story of rescue and a tantalizing prospect of pterodactyls that justifies their reputation, in a big bird cage! The score is fixed, the lighting is edgier and the action scenes are fully revised thanks to Joe Johnston's clever weight of necessities. This is a fine way to end and although there are talks of a fourth we should all be grateful for a series that has been full of action and dinosaurs.

8/10

Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy [Blu-ray][Region Free]
Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy [Blu-ray][Region Free] by Steven Spielberg (Blu-ray - 2012)