Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 June 2011
An exquisite collection of songs/tunes, always playing in this household, A fine well balanced selection, A Classic (not at all too folky?) worth 6 stars.
on 5 March 2013
I've got a few in this series, but this is probably the best. Midlake are great curators, and their musical inspirations/choices are fascinating. Has led me to seek out a few artists on here, which speaks volumes. Get the vinyl copy if you can.
on 4 April 2015
Really gives a good insight into the influences on the band. Stands in its own right as a very fine collection of songs.
on 3 September 2015
Through this album though it was not what I thought I was getting into I have now heard BOB CARPENTER. Thank you.
on 22 November 2014
One of my favourite all time albums - it has also lead us on to buy from the artists on this cd
on 31 March 2011
Love Midlake, "Van'" is in my all time top LPs and they are even better live but they seem far too hooked into the folky thing now? It (in my opinion of course) weakened the last record, still excellent but just needed a bit more kick and it shows on their choices here.

I am really into the psych and folk stuff from the late 60s and 70s with Pentangle (strange they never made this?), Steeleye, Fairports, Sandy Denny and some of the funky folk from America dominating my cd player at the moment together with the excellent compilations you can search for on Amazon. Therefore I was really looking forward to this but it does not quite hit the spot.

Midlake started out I think as a jazz funk band and from their live stuff and "Van" you can hear the obvious soft rock influences. A real feel of CSNY, Fleetwood Mac etc flows through that and yet this cd seems to just take the very easy paced folk theme and not steer from untimately a slightly dreary course.

I wanted to hear what rock and funk influences they had but nothing like that is given any space on here. Some very good tunes such as the ones by Bread Love and Dreams and Rodriguez as well as the better known people but just not enough variety or a chance to find out what they were listening to in their earlier years.

Really hope they wake up a bit before they record their next LP??