5.0 out of 5 stars I go back to this year on year
Published on 12 Oct. 2008 by John Ferngrove

Let me be clear from the start, the poetry is beautiful but I have had to return two copies of this edition because the print quality is very poor - blurred/blotched as if there was too much ink used in the printing process, thus making it difficult to read. Perhaps just a poor batch, but buy with caution.
Published 7 months ago by Mitch

5.0 out of 5 stars I go back to this year on year, 12 Oct. 2008
John Ferngrove (Hants UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
One day I will try another translation of Rilke and then I will find out just how much of what I love about this book is Rilke and how much is Mitchell's translation. It's not a complete collection but what is there is dense and comprehensive. I have enough German to be able to read the facing original texts, to scan for rhythm and metre, and to some extent the translation. It looks to me that where there is a choice, rhythm takes precedence over words. But the words chosen instead are gorgeous. The whole effect has the luminousity of the best of Ginsberg. Whether that's faithful to the original spirit I could not say. All I can really say is that if someone had written these poems in this English then they would be acknowledged masterpieces of mystical poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Between this book's covers? A new and beautiful world for me!, 30 Aug. 2010
A mention of Rilke in a recent news article led me to search out his work on Amazon. I have read and loved poetry in English, Spanish and French all my life, but never discovered Rilke/German works, so thought it worth a go. And was it ever worth it!
The variety of forms, the beauty of the translations, and the availability of the face to face pages of German and English, are so good I took them for granted early on and find it difficult to put the book down. The book was in the very good condition listed, and was sent by Oxfam with a brief note of Thanks for buying from them which delighted me. I recommend this book, this edition, and the supplier [...] without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful poet - great translation, 7 Oct. 1999
OK so you won't find all of Rilke's poems here. Mitchell reckons that some are just cannot be translated. It's still the best though. Mitchell's translation of the Elegies is unlikely to be bettered.

1.0 out of 5 stars the poetry is beautiful but I have had to return two copies of ..., 30 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great translation, 18 Nov. 2013
Amazon Customer (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke (Kindle Edition)
This is a thrilling translation of Rilke's poetry and some prose. I've tried several translations and this is there oner I want to keep by me.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful excuses.., 8 Jan. 2003
Here are some of the most beautiful poems that have been written, in the best translations I have yet found..but beware- Rilke's poetry was his excuse to treat women horrifically..read his letters...an absolute git...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 July 2014
on time and fantastic thank you

The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke