5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRATIONAL AND INFORMATIVE
Really love this book, chapters well set out , and author gives a lot of tips,made me pick up and play with camera as I was reading and hopefully will improve my photography skills It is NOT a camera manual... Nikon do that! Much better than Digital Field Guide IMHO
Published on 9 Jun 2011 by DrD

1.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 7000 : From Snapshots to Great Shots-- book
For once I am disappointed, not with the service but with the book.
Published on 22 Jun 2011 by madfotoman

1.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 7000 : From Snapshots to Great Shots-- book, 22 Jun 2011
For once I am disappointed, not with the service but with the book.
though the title NIKON 7000 is across the front of the book is isn`t really about the NIKON 7000 camera it is more of general book about improving your photography which could apply to the vast majority of modern digital SLR cameras. I feel therefore that having NIKON 7000 in the title is very misleading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, 11 Feb 2011
I suppose I better state now that this review is based on what level of Photographer I believed this book was aimed at. I assumed, from reading the descrption, that it was aimed at an Amateur - Intermediate level and above that was trading up from the likes of a D90 (for me it was from a Pentax).

If you use your camera, like I do, in Manual 99.9% of the time then this book is really not for you. Although very well written (hence the 3 stars) it focuses mainly on Auto and the semi-auto priority modes (this accounts for 80% of the book !).

I was very dissapointed as I thought the book would contain handy hints and tips for settings that a pro would use without the need for me to read my owners manual from cover to cover.

I have to thank Amazon, I explained my dissapointment by email and within hours I had an email back letting me know they would give me a refund if I returned the book, which I am doing.

If you use a dSLR on Auto or one of the Priority modes then this book will be right up your street !

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits the need of a newbie starting his experience with a D7000, 15 Oct 2011
G. Avvinti (Sicily, Italy) - See all my reviews
This book has been an easy read to refresh the basics of photography with an eye on how these basics might be applied with a Nikon D7000. If this is the aim of the potential reader (whether it's a refresh or an introduction), then the book might prove helpful. In other words, this is a book "to start with" digital photography and the D7000, while I don't see it as a book "to go deeper", for both topics. And I suppose that this should be the case since if the aim would otherwise be a broad general understanding of digital photography, then the choice might be better directed toward general (still much satisfiable) accounts such as Ben Long's (Complete Digital Photography) or Dickman/Kinghorn's (Perfect Digital Photography(Second edition)), etc or even deeper with books on specific topics like composition, exposure and suchlike by Michael Freeman, Tom Ang, Bryan Peterson etc. Likewise, to go deeper about Nikon D7000 itself the best account I've found so far is David Busch's (David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography).

A due mention goes to the pictures in the book: many of them are really compelling and well explained. Also, the print and paper quality are absolutely satisfiable, and since we're talking (or reading ...) about something where aesthetics and general sensorial experience is a primary concern, I definitely appreciated it.

One note for the avid reader: the publisher has many titles in its catalog talking about photography topics. One of these is Jeff Revell's (Exposure: From Snapshots to Great Shots). I would not suggest this latter to the owner of Batdorff's book and even more the viceversa, since they share textual contents (literally, word-by-word) in several points of the books. This is not to say the books are exactly the same, perhaps the idea was to create a variation of Revell's book specific for the Nikon D7000 ... And indeed, truth be told, Batdorff talks about just the D7000 in early chapters and wherever a suggestion is provided on how actually "do this" on the D7000.

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRATIONAL AND INFORMATIVE, 9 Jun 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need a book like this?, 10 Jun 2011
I would imagine that the majority of people buying the 7K are, like me, reasonably experienced photographers. As such we would already understand the basics of photography such as f stops, shutter speeds, metering options and the advantages and implications of the choices we make in relation to them. We would not normally expect to need much guidance in the use of preset "scene" and automatic modes. Yet this is basically what you get with this book - It's a "beginner's guide to photography" applied to a complex and sophisticated piece of kit. As such it falls between two stools and I can't really see it being of much use either to a real beginner or a relatively experienced photographer. Having owned and used the camera for a month I now realise that the very comprehensive Nikon manual is the only support you really need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D7000...From Snapshots to Great Shots, 12 Mar 2011
There are a plethora of books on photography and a growing number on the D7000.This book takes key parts from the rather turgid 326 page manufacturer's instruction manual and sets them in the context of real life photography. For a keen amateur who's in the early learning stage of using a quite complicated camera it's been invaluable. I'm sure there are more technical tomes but this is an eminently readable book which can be devoured in bite sized chunks. Well worth the money IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill Book!, 21 May 2011
Not sure what the buttons do! This is a great book showing exactly where and what the buttons & commands do. A must for newby to Nikon cameras!The tips and advice are brilliant! Easy to read & set out well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for Nikon D7000 owners, 29 Mar 2013
Excellent for Nikon D7000 owners - easy to follow. Helps you to use your camera more professionally. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Kindle Edition)
Helps get more out of the camera than trying to use the manual on it's own. Highly recommend the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star, 11 Jan 2013
Have not read other nikon books, but this one is a perfect guide in learning how to use you Nikon and on how to make better pictures