4.0 out of 5 stars Some Slight Negatives, But Overall a Great Little Buy
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:41 Mins
Here's My ReviewsCast of my Andrew James Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker.

In the video I'll quickly tell you
1. A bit about the machine

5. What the ice cream is like
6. How to clean it
7. What the body of...
Published on 23 Nov 2012 by Ffion Kitchen Gadgets

3.0 out of 5 stars If loving this was ice cream, I wouldn't quite have enough for a 99.
I bought this item because my previous experiences with the "freeze the bowl and pray" type ice cream makers had been very disappointing. This machine does make very good ice cream. but it is fiddly and to my mind there is are two huge whopping design flaws which detract from the entire experience.

The machine makes just over a litre of ice cream. To freeze the...
Published on 6 Jun 2011 by A. Allen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than you'd expect, 23 Feb 2013
Tom Kavanagh (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andrew James New Improved 2 Litre Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor Includes 2 Year Warranty And 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book. (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this machine two years ago when there were *no* reviews but I decided to take a chance. I have used it regularly ever since and have had no problems at all. The plasticky paddle and lid have stood up to moderate regular use and the ice cream produced has been just great.

4.0 out of 5 stars In comparison, 11 Aug 2012
Ice Maiden "Kathy" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In comparison with my last ice cream maker - Cuisinart, this one is
a) Much better value for money
b) Much sturdier in construction
c) Oh so quiet - my last one could be heard all over the house.
The downside is that there is a bit of a design problem that could be fixed I am sure. As others have said it is fiddly to get the paddle, lid and motor all fitted together as the paddle drops out sometimes when you are attaching the lid. Once this is done though it does make terrific ice cream without any fuss.

I am hoping the manufacturers come up with small piece of plastic that ensures the paddle clicks into place and stays there whilst the motor is attached - and I am hoping they post one out quickly to people who have purchased it.(hint hint). That said if I had to choose between this one and the Cuisinart I would go for this one every time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eating more ice cream, 13 Jan 2012
The Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker is quiet,easy to use and wash, but most importantlay makes great ice cream. Ice cream at the end of the process is still fairly fluid and needs to spend a little time in the freezer before it can be served. The apperture for adding solids near the end of a cycle is somewhat small making the additions a bit fiddley. These are minor quibbles. Overall this ice cream maker is great value for money and is one of our best kitchen gaget additions ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James icre cream maker, 19 Oct 2011
First impression was "this is solidly built". Started with a simple recipe, easy to use, works well, ice cream tastes smooth, no gritty bits of ice. What more do you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, 28 July 2011
Not one failure yet and I have even made Icecream without a menu. We can now use ingrediants which do not affect my wife with her lactose intolerance mmmmm

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect!, 8 Jun 2011
I got this machine because I have lost patience with "freeze the bowl" deals. I have a refrigerator which makes the ice age look like a minor snowball fight, and they still never worked.

The machine is quiet in operation, easy to use, easy to clean and fast.

Placing the paddle in the bowl can be a bit of a fiddle until you get used to it, but there's a really handy chute for adding fruit, nuts and so on just before setting finished, so you can make "bits in" ice cream just as easily as smooth styles.

It is solidly constructed, and altogether well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Design, 12 Jan 2012
I was really looking forward to getting to grips with this ice cream maker having spent many hours looking into the bowl of the more basic models and achieving nothing more than slush. Unfortunately, this was not much better.

Assembling the unit is fiddly; you have to slot the metal rod from the motor into the plastic paddle and it takes a good few minutes if you don't get it right straight away. Pouring the mixture (unless its very liquid) through the opening provided is incredibly tricky and adding any extras during the churning process such as chopped fruit is near on impossible unless its chopped finely and fed through on a teaspoon. You cannot simply take the top off to add ingredients as you would then have to go through the lining up process again. My machine did not get the ice cream nearly cold enough and we achieved nothing more than very soft 'Mr Whippy' style ice cream that required several hours in the freezer to firm up. We also found, like another reviewer, that there was a liquid patch in the middle of mixture.

My machine has now gone back and Andrew James have confirmed there was a problem with the thermostat but the basic design faults - fiddly assembly and ridiculously small window to add the ingredients, are down to bad design. The instructions are worthless too with not nearly enough information provided.

That aside, Andrew James were a brilliant company to deal with and my money was in my account within hours of the machine being received back. Phones were answered immediately and the staff were really helpful and efficient. I've now bought the Gaggia Gelatiera which is so much easier to use as the entire lid comes off. It is more expensive mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !!!!, 21 Aug 2014
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have just read through some of the reviews about this ice cream maker and I am not sure I am reading about the right machine!!! I have had this machine now for about two months, I have made ice creams and sobets and all have been the most delicious fool proof desserts I have ever made. I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!!!

I have made ice creams with a custard base, with creams and chocolate, biscuits, maltesers (other fine chocolate available) :) I tend to make a base and add whatever takes my fancy and not one has failed. If I eat it within a couple of hours I like it like a Mr Whippy consistancy but if it is going in the freezer over night I 'cook' it longer.

The blackberry sorbet I am making at the moment (as I have loads growing in the garden) is being given to neighbours and friends all of which think it is fantastic. The rasberry was also wonderful.

I am so glad I bought this and it is currently my very best kitchen gadget that I have bought for a long, long time.

I take on board the plastic stirer, but it seems robust enough for me, however it does hold far too much ice cream on it and is difficult to get it all off so's not to waste any.........but in my veiw it is worth more than five stars

4.0 out of 5 stars nice kit, 13 May 2014
bought as present for my son and family - they seem to enjoy it and have made lots of ice cream. I would suggest don't be tempted to buy on the ones you have to freeze overnight first - the bowls take up freezer space and there is never one ready when you want it!
one like this with refrigeration built it is much easier to use

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value kitchen aid, 3 Dec 2013
You can't make ice cream without having a device with a compressor. This does the job really well - it gets really cold very quickly. You have to treat the components with a little respect, but you'd be doing that with any dedicated ice-cream maker and this one is cheaper than most of those on the market.

The recipe book that comes with it is only so-so and our first few attempts using those recipes were a bit under-whelming. However, we've had stunning results from this machine using "The Perfect Scoop" recipe book and I'd recommend that as well as this piece of hardware.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›