4.0 out of 5 stars Some Slight Negatives, But Overall a Great Little Buy
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:41 Mins
Here's My ReviewsCast of my Andrew James Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker.

In the video I'll quickly tell you
1. A bit about the machine

5. What the ice cream is like
6. How to clean it
7. What the body of...
Published on 23 Nov 2012 by Ffion Kitchen Gadgets

3.0 out of 5 stars If loving this was ice cream, I wouldn't quite have enough for a 99.
I bought this item because my previous experiences with the "freeze the bowl and pray" type ice cream makers had been very disappointing. This machine does make very good ice cream. but it is fiddly and to my mind there is are two huge whopping design flaws which detract from the entire experience.

The machine makes just over a litre of ice cream. To freeze the...
Published on 6 Jun 2011 by A. Allen

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Andrew James New Improved 2 Litre Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor Includes 2 Year Warranty And 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book. (Kitchen & Home)
I purchased this ice cream maker after reading endless reviews on other brands. I am absolutely delighted with my purchase. I have made batches of the most delicious ice cream easily and effortlessly with fruits I had in my fridge. So far I have made raspberry using cream, strawberry using yoghurt, which turns out more like a sorbet, and the most delicious vanilla using milk, eggs, sugar and a vanilla pod. I made coconut ice cream using a tin of coconut milk and cream and I have only had the machine 3 days. Today I made the best ever. To 1/2 pint of Jersey milk brought to the boil, I added 3 egg yolks whisked with 4oz of caster sugar. Slowly brought the mixture to boil and thicken then left it to cool. I then added a 425gm tin of sweetened mango puree. When blended together I put the mixture in the Ice cream maker, and set the time for 50 minutes. The mixture is quite soft so, if you can resist eating it at this stage, it is best to put it in a container and freeze it in the freezer for an hour or so. Absolutely gorgious. I can't wait to experiment with sweetened chesnuts, mincemeat, mint sorbet to add to mojitos.....the list in my head is endless. Just use your imagination and experiment with whatever you have....and enjoy. The machine is easy to use and clean. it is quiet with no fiddly bits and a joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and makes great icecream, 25 Jun 2011
Having read the reviews on different ice cream makers I was a bit unsure which one to go for as they all said they were very noisy. I then came across this one and decided it looked good and reviews said how quiet it was - they were spot on! It is very quiet, seems well built and makes fantastic ice cream, sorbets and frozen yoghurts. No need to prefreeze bowls just pop chilled ingredients in, see them mix and 30- 50 mins later fantastic frozen treat. No need for alcohol or salt between bowl and unit either. Another nice feature is the digital display which tells you how much time remains and the current temperature of the bowl. You can simply add time during the freezing cycle if you want harder icecream or stop it early if it makes faster than expected. It also has a keep cold feature that automatically kicks in for up to an hour if you dont eat it once it's made. I am delighted I bought this model and would highly recommend it. Speed of delivery from Andrew James was also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James Ice cream, Vodka, Cider, Sangria Slush maker., 12 Aug 2013
Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book.

This review is not so much for the ice cream making use of the machine, of which it works fairly well, but for the far more frequent use of a drinks slush machine. The ice cream we made was quite soft to start with out of the machine...and then the ice cream didn't last long before it was devoured... The machine itself is very quiet in use,as others have said. There is a bit of knack to lining the motor shaft to paddle, once ingredients are in the tub, I put tub in machine, place paddle in making sure it is located at the bottom of tub on the raised bit, turn the paddle so that the slot runs front to back (following length of motor) place lid on and align the motor shaft by hand roughly aligning the flats with the length of the motor. It does take a little bit of force to turn shaft due to the gearing,but one soon gets used to that.... Now for the fun bit...

The main use this machine has had so far (especially this summer) is for making slush drinks. I had considered getting a slush machine but these are very expensive..until I sort of accidentally discovered whilst experimenting that this machine makes very good Vodka slush drinks! I was making a cold summer drink when I first got the machine and discovered that ice forms around the inside of tub due to the amount of water in the drink, so I added more juice (apple and blackcurrant squash) this increased the sugar content, it helped a bit and started to slush a bit better...and then I thought...hmmm..Vodka...antifreeze..so in went a nice dash or so, scraped the side of tub with plastic spatula (the tub is aluminium and could be damaged with metal) to release any frozen bits and let it mix for about 15-20 mins...Result, a very Moorish apple and blackcurrant vodka slush, very similar in consistency with a proper Slushpuppie. I have also found out that the machine will slush a whole bottle of Smirnoff Vodka in under 2 hours, this you then put back in bottle to keep in freezer ( not necessary, it just helps speed up the slush process when serving guest at gatherings). Once the first batch is done, take about half or so to use and top machine up with juice / pre slushed vodka.
The juice requirements tend to be a bit more than if making a normal juice / squash drink, but adjust
to taste.. It also makes very good cider slush, and this was very popular at a recent gathering, just pour a can / bottle or two in and let it slush away, turn around after the first batch is done about 20ish min's. This is also largely dependent on how well the machine can remove heat from itself, I found that in hot weather it takes longer but by putting a little fan/heater (NOT on heat mode!) close the the flat side of machine (air intake), thus forcing more air through the machine and thus removing more heat, I managed to get a turnaround / cycle time of 10-15min at an ambient temperature of about 24-25c. Make sure the curved side has plenty of space to breath..this is where the hot air comes out and is directly related to how well / fast it will cool!! Apologies for the technical bit but It may be of use for some...
I had the machine running around 10 hours continuously, only stopping twice to thaw the cooling chamber a bit (condensation builds up and can sometimes freeze the tub in there). By pressing the timer button a few times when checking the mix one can have the freezer on contimulsy. Always remove the tub when adding or removing ingredients/drinks to prevent fouling/spillages in/on the machine. Occasionally the mixing motor will cut out if left mixing until very stiff or about 50mins (this is normal and is a safety feature), the motor will cool and reset, but if using the machine continuously the machine may need to be switch off and then back on to allow the motor to restart. This is not a problem, just need to be aware that this may happen.

Overall this machine has gone above and beyond its duty of making ice cream and kept a gathering of 12 people happy all day, although we could have done with another machine for other drinks like sangria slush- Very nice BTW

Highly recommended for those who like a cold refreshing drink or slush. (also suitable for kids-without the alcohol). I intend to get another when I have a spare few pennies.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased I bought this, 1 Feb 2014
This machine is quick, efficient and pretty silent in operation. It is simplicity itself compared to a previous type of machine we have used. It also makes great ice cream.

I would also like to thank the seller for giving me the biggest laugh this Christmas. I had bought the ice cream machine as a surprise Christmas gift for my husband. When it was delivered, along with a couple of other items, the seller had thoughtfully packed the machine, in its own box and alongside the other items, inside a larger box which was marked to show it had previously held a candy floss machine. My husband was curious when he saw such a huge box being delivered and so naturally, when I told him not to look at it, as it was a surprise for him, his curiosity got the better of him and he had a peep the moment my back was turned. He thought I had taken leave of my senses and expressed his extreme disappointment to our daughter, who was in on the secret. 'Why on earth would your mother buy me a candy floss machine?' he moaned. He was so disappointed.

Well, it was lovely to see not only relief but delight on his face when on Christmas day he opened the enormous box to find something much better and more desirable. I should add that the ice cream maker was not as large as I had feared from the size of its box, so I too was relieved that I am able easily to give it room in the kitchen. We're still chuckling over the candy floss machine, however!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Kitchen Gadget!, 16 Jun 2012
Barrowfordian (Lancashire, England.) - See all my reviews
I have now had this ice cream maker for a few weeks, and have made a number of different flavoured ice creams during that time - and each one has been a delicious success! Both old and young have commented on how good the ice cream is. Vanilla ice cream (made from a custard of three egg yolks, sugar, milk and double cream with a vanilla pod) is ready to serve after 50 minutes in the machine (another 10 minutes gives that little extra firmness). Add a sauce (made of berries/fruit and sugar) and the serving time needs to be extended by around 30 minutes - otherwise it is too soft and runny. My favourite so far has been a vanilla and ginger ice cream made with ground up ginger biscuits, one and a half teaspoons of ground ginger and vanilla (my own recipe coming from 'what else can I use'?!!)
The machine itself is very easy to use and clean. Some have said that adding the ingredients is difficult as they have tried to pour them through a small hatch - but if the ingredients are added to the main bowl, and the paddle and motor are then attached there is no problem; the small opening is for adding ingredients later.
All in all this is a very user-friendly gadget that saves a lot of messing with freezer bowls and produces a delicious ice cream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 1 July 2011
S. Wells (England) - See all my reviews
Just put the mixture in the machine and wait for the beep to signify that the ice cream is ready.
You wont go back to buying ice cream after tasing what this machine makes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Easy to use, 22 July 2011
Having read loads of reviews on different ice cream makers I decided to buy this one. It was definitely the right decision. The machine is so easy to use. Just pop in your ingredients and off you go. You do not have to pre-freeze bowls or anything like that. The most difficult part is deciding which flavour to make next!! Andrew James Ice Cream maker takes the hard work out of making ice cream and add the fun back in. A highly recommended purchase. The machine is quiet and quick. The only criticism is the slot where you add additional ingredients towards the end of the process is a bit small but that is such a minor area and is not a fault at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, 16 Feb 2014
This was purchased as a Christmas present for my dad who was very keen to use this!

However the unit got very hot and therefore the ice cream mix could not set!

The manufactures arranged collection of the unit three days later and sent out a replacement.

But disappointingly exactly the same problem occurred so a refund was given!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price., 18 May 2013
Quiet machine, that will make you a decent batch of ice cream. The stirring mechanism, as other people has pointed out, is a bit questionable and flimsy though, and it's stirring way too slow for the lighter Italian types of ice cream - but if you prefer cream/egg-based recipes, this will not be a problem.

The drive shaft for the paddle has started to develop rust after a year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than you'd expect, 23 Feb 2013
Tom Kavanagh (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine two years ago when there were *no* reviews but I decided to take a chance. I have used it regularly ever since and have had no problems at all. The plasticky paddle and lid have stood up to moderate regular use and the ice cream produced has been just great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›