4.0 out of 5 stars Some Slight Negatives, But Overall a Great Little Buy
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:41 Mins
Here's My ReviewsCast of my Andrew James Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker.

In the video I'll quickly tell you

5. What the ice cream is like
6. How to clean it
7. What the body of...
Published on 23 Nov 2012 by Ffion Kitchen Gadgets

I bought this item because my previous experiences with the "freeze the bowl and pray" type ice cream makers had been very disappointing. This machine does make very good ice cream. but it is fiddly and to my mind there is are two huge whopping design flaws which detract from the entire experience.

The machine makes just over a litre of ice cream. To freeze the...
Published on 6 Jun 2011 by A. Allen

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Slight Negatives, But Overall a Great Little Buy, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Andrew James New Improved 2 Litre Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor Includes 2 Year Warranty And 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book. (Kitchen & Home)
Length:: 9:41 Mins

Here's My ReviewsCast of my Andrew James Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker.

In the video I'll quickly tell you

4. How to set it up
5. What the ice cream is like
6. How to clean it
7. What the body of the machine is like

Pros
Lovely Ice Cream
Very Quiet
Easy to Use
Easy to Clean

Cons
Body prone to marks and scratches
Lid and churn arm feel a bit plasticky
Not 100% foolproof - there's a bit of trial and error with this machine.

Overall
For the money, the Andrew James Fully Automatic Ice cream maker is a great little buy. It makes lovely ice cream, it's quieter than any other fully automatic ice cream maker, and it's very easy to use once you've got the hang of setting it up. It's also easy to clean.

Although it does make lovely ice cream, there can be a bit of trial and error, and some recipes seem to come out more frozen than others. However, if you only fill the churn 50% instead of to the maximum of 80%, then you do get more consistently frozen ice cream.

Because it is a budget fully automatic, I feel this is reflected in the body and the churn arm. Although the machine is solid and well made, the body has a brushed steel finish which can be a bit more prone to marks. And the lid and churn arm do feel a bit plasticky.

However, having owned this machine for about 6 months now, I would say that the positives for me far outweigh these slight negatives. You won't find a quieter ice cream maker, and the ice cream is on a par with other more expensive machines. Plus If you have a place for it to live permanently, then you shouldn't mark the body like I have. (Because I have a small kitchen I often put the machine in it's box when not in use, so this may account for the marks).

The Ice Cream
The bowl is 1.5L, the maximum amount of ingredients you can add is 1L because you need to leave room for the ice cream to expand and for the churn arm to move (this is the same for all ice cream makers). This will make just over 800g of ice cream. How much it costs depends on your ingredients, but I make 826g of Ben and Jerry's Maltesers ice cream for £3.09.

For best results run the machine for 10 minutes with no ingredients. This will bring down the temperature of the ice cream maker from about 22oc (depending on the room temperature) to about -34oc. This will result in smoother ice cream, and the ice cream will generally be thicker straight from the machine. Please remember that ice cream straight from any churn will only ever be half frozen, so expect to see Mr Whippy style . If you want firmer ice cream you will need to freeze it for at least 2 hours (again this is the same for all ice cream makers).

The ice cream in the middle of the bowl can be a lot softer than the ice cream which freezes to the sides . Some recipes seem to turn out better than others, i.e chocolate always seems to turn out good, but my non cooked vanilla recipe always needs a bit of firming up in the freezer. What I have found though is if I only fill it half full with ingredients (and not to capacity), the ice cream comes out much more consistently churned and frozen.

I also own another ice cream maker, the Cuisinart ICE30 ice cream maker. Out of the 2 I would give the Andrew James 4/5 for the ice cream, and I would give the Cuisinart 5/5. This is because the Cuisinart ice cream is fluffier and thicker straight from the churn. I think this is due to the larger bowl, the way the mixing arm churns, and the big opening in the lid which allows more air to get into the mixture. Also find that the ice cream is more consistently mixed in the Cuisinart. With the Andrew James, the mixing arm spins in the middle of the churn, which means that will some recipes, the ice cream can be frozen to the sides of the wall of the churn, whilst the ice cream in the middle is still quite runny. However with the Cuisinart, the bowl spins and churn arm sits in place. Then as the bowl moves, the churn arm scrapes the side of the bowl. This superior design means it delivers consistently good ice cream, however it has its faults. It's a freezer bowl ice cream maker so its not as convenient as the Andrew James, plus it takes up precious freezer space. And it's very noisy. The Andrew James on the other hand is quiet, and it's always ready to use.

Setting up the machine
The first time I set up this machine it completely did my head in. But then once I'd done it a few times I wondered what I had found so difficult. As long as you have the bowl in the right place, the lid should go on, and then everything else should slot into place (see this in the video).

Small Ingredients Hole
Yes it is small, but as long as I use a jug I don't have any problems pouring in the ice cream recipe, or adding extras like chopped nuts etc.

If your recipe is too thick to pour through the hole, you can always just add the recipe straight into the bowl. It doesn't actually say this in the manual, but I contacted Andrew James and they confirmed that you can add the ingredients either way.

Mixing Arm Freezes
This can happen if you use the Extended Cooling Function, which is basically just the ice cream maker continuing to freeze the ice cream once the timer has finished. According to the manual "When the count-down ends, the operation automatically stops and it hears 10 times of Di Di Di sound....If no one seems to serve the ice cream or turn off the machine in 10 minutes, it automatically extends into a Extended Cooling Function to keep the ice cream not defrosted".
Personally, I'd just say take it out as soon as the timer goes, otherwise you can end up playing tug of war with the churn arm and bucket.

Cleaning
It's very easy to clean, easier than the freezer bowl type because you don't have to wait for the bowl to defrost, or spend time scrapping off the ice cream from the sides.

I hope this covers everything, but if you want to know anything else please let me know.

3.0 out of 5 stars If loving this was ice cream, I wouldn't quite have enough for a 99., 6 Jun 2011
A. Allen "allyboo" (Scotland) - See all my reviews

The machine makes just over a litre of ice cream. To freeze the ice cream mix you set the machine going, make sure the paddle is rotating and pour the mix into the freezing cylinder. The paddle is driven at the top and has a slightly concave bottom to the main shaft which sits on a nub at the bottom of the cylinder. The paddle is very prone to freezing solid at the bottom and having a puddle of unfrozen mix sitting above. The drive mechanism seems terribly fragile and I'm worried it will break.

The other design flaw is the size of the orifice through which the mix is poured into the cylinder. It's minute, and pouring a pint or more of goopy custardy mix or youghurt through an orifice with a width of approximately 1.5 cm (the orifice is roughly rectangular and is longer at say 3cm) but it takes a steady hand to pour. I ended up customising a funnel that I could fit into the gap and pour more safely.

The machine is built in China and the instructions are a bit cursory. It doesn't stress the fact that you need to set the machine off before you pour in the mix. I got that from the free book of ice cream recipes which came with the machine.

Over all it's good and makes nice product, but it isn't a set it off and go away to do something else experience, you may well find yourself disassembling the machine to manually stir the mix a couple of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker, 8 May 2011
This Ice Cream maker is an extremely good product. Add fruit, sugar and cream, and in 50 minutes perfect ice cream. Other ice cream makers are being reviewed as "noisy"; this one isn't. In fact, it's so quite that one can only just tell if the compressor's running. It is very easy to clean, and does appear to stop driving the paddle if the mix sets too solid for it to turn. My only criticism is the aluminium tub for the ice cream; it would be better if it were made of stainless steel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super fast delivery and super fast ice cream., 18 Jun 2012
MP3 novice (Penrith, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
I ordered this from Andrew James through Amazon on a Friday lunchtime and it arrived before lunchtime on the Monday.

Homemade ice cream is so much better than bought and you control what goes into it - which it perfect for restricted diets.

I have been making ice cream for a number of years using the Kenwood Ice Cream maker attachment. The ice cream was great but I was frustrated by the space the bowl took up in the freezer and the fact it took over 24 hours to refreeze, so making batches was impossible.

Having read the reviews I chose this machine in preference to the Cuisinart or Gaggia based on cost and the fact that it was reported to be very quiet and it also continued to keep the ice cream frozen once the programme had finished if the machine wasn't turned off immediately. This seemed a good feature for us, as the machine needed to live in the garage, and I wouldn't always be there the moment the programme finished. So far however I haven't had chance to try out this facility.

I have to date made 4 batches of ice cream.

My first batch of vanilla ice cream did take in excess of 50 minutes to churn to a thick (but not frozen solid) consistency.

I have since made Strawberry, Coffee and Coconut and all seem to only take 20 minutes to churn to the same consistency - infact slightly firmer as the paddle stopped turning. From a time point of view this is great - however, you cannot programme the machine to churn for 20 minutes, 10 mins - yes 30 mins - yes, but for some strange reason not 20 mins!

I presume that the batch time could vary depending on the air temperature, as well the amount and temp of liquid. The first batch was made during that hot spell at the end of May whereas all subsequent batches have been made when the air temp has been less than 15 degrees and with the machine living in the garage it may be subjected to greater temperature differences than if it was in a kitchen.

The machine does have to be left for 24 hours after being unpacked (or moved) so it isn't a machine to keep in a cupboard - hence the need for it to live in the garage as we don't have a utility room.

I do chill the cream mixture well before churning and add it to the canister before putting it in the machine, which is what the instructions advise. I would say that the resulting ice cream does benefit from a couple of hours in the freezer to be the perfect consistency for scooping, but I don't imagine any machine can make it that firm, otherwise the paddle wouldn't turn.

It is a great improvement on my old Kenwood attachment, I have made consecutive batches of different flavours and it does churn to a thicker consistency than the Kenwood, which only has a freezing capacity of about 20 minutes at normal room temp.

To my mind it appears solidly built and is good value for money for the amateur ice cream maker, but having not used any other fully automatic makers I cannot comment on how it compares. My only critisism (apart from the missing 20 minute programme)is that if the paddle does stop churning before the programmed time has elapsed there does not appear to be a cutout device to stop the motor and no warning alarm to tell you that the paddle has stopped, so you do need to keep an eye on progress, but I am not aware that any of the other models offer this feature either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific ice cream!!, 28 May 2011
This is an excellent machine! It's compact, not too heavy and looks good . Very easy to use and clean. It's also quieter than many similar machines . Most recipes were done in 40 minutes . Buy this machine and get fat!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ice Cream experience, 3 Jun 2011
I bought this Ice Cream Maker on special offer from Amazon. It was delivered the next day in excellent condition.
Although the machine is quite big and heavy, I absolutely love it. I have a very small freezer and did not want a ice cream maker with a seperate bowl that needs to be frozen. This machine does it all. It takes 50 minutes to create the most amazing ice cream. It comes with a ice cream book, which is good for giving you ideas on what sort of variations you can make but when following the recipes I found the ice creams a bit too sweet for me, so I have cut down the sugar by half. I have tried Strawberry and Pineapple sorbets they were lovely too. So with one measure of double cream, 2 measures of milk, sugar and whatever flavour of fruit or vanilla in 50 minutes you can have a ice cream that beats shop bought ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James icecream maker, 4 July 2011
i have been using the icecream maker now for some weeks,and it very,very good,makes excellent icecream of all flavours,.Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + Free 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Kitchen Gadget, 15 July 2011
N. L. Gill (North Wales, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
WE LOVE this Ice Cream Maker. I am a Diabetic, and so wanted to be able to make low sugar, and also non dairy ice cream, so bought this and Vice Cream (recipe book for Vegan Ice Creams). I have 4 young children, and we have fun making it, and cannot wait for the beeps to tell us its time to enjoy - and we have all enjoyed every recipe.

The recipes that come with the ice cream maker are great also, and I would recommend reading through it, as it gives you tips and reasonings for how to get a good batch of ice cream.

I tend to take the mixing paddle out the second it stops turning, as it can be hard to extract your ice cream when it is frozen into it.

Also, I have discovered that if you boil water, and pour it into a bowl, then stand the metal ice cream bowl in it for a minute or less, you can then pour the whole ice cream out in 1 block. I then put it into a plastic tupperware box and re shape it, for freezing and storage - but actually rarely have any left after we have all sampled it (several times).

Only danger of having such a machine, is that the temptation to eat a lot of ice cream is there all the time!

I don't feel so guilty though if it's non dairy - as a fraction of the fat!!

After the 50 minutes is up, the ice cream is rarely frozen all the way through, so you can either leave it in, to be continually frozen for up to 1 hour, or extract it, as described above, and then re freeze it until you need it. We have discovered that it gets very frozen (no soft scoop rubbish here), so when you are going to eat it, take it out 20 mins prior!

The machine looks great on our counter, and take pride of place! 10 out of 10!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool!, 19 Jun 2011
Mr. Simon Wheeler (Scotland) - See all my reviews
For several years I made ice-cream using one of the "put the container in the freezer for 24 hours first" products. It worked Ok but was a bit of a pain. However, it allowed me to experiment with recipes etc. I then decided to invest in an automatic maker. What a difference! It's moving from the Iron Age into Civilisation. This is smooth, quiet, efficient and makes an excellent end product. It is easy to use and easy to clean. The recipe book that came with it provides some interesting ideas- though I would recommend buying a number of books in order to get a flavour (sorry!) of what you can do in terms of taste, texture etc. There is no hassle at all with this ice-cream maker: no bother with barriers between machine and container; no intrusive noise; no fiddly bits to clean; nothing to leave in the freezer overnight. Just mix your ingredients, pour into the machine, switch on and set the timer- and try not to forget it. After the timer has alerted you, remove the inner pot and there is your ice-cream...all ready to serve, or to put in a container in your home freezer. Wash the inner pot, reassemble machine, make up the next batch and well within an hour (maximum) you have another flavour ready too! What used to take me a week- making several varieties- can now be done in an afternoon.
It is quite large so a small kitchen might not be ideal- though you could work around that one. It's definitely value for money. And the after sales service from Andrew James was- in my experience- first class. (The motor rattled...even though it worked OK. I phoned them & was sent a replacement first class mail without any bother.)
I just wish I'd bought one of these sooner. It's going to be a fun summer using.....Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + Free 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 11 Sep 2011
I purchased this ice cream maker after reading endless reviews on other brands. I am absolutely delighted with my purchase. I have made batches of the most delicious ice cream easily and effortlessly with fruits I had in my fridge. So far I have made raspberry using cream, strawberry using yoghurt, which turns out more like a sorbet, and the most delicious vanilla using milk, eggs, sugar and a vanilla pod. I made coconut ice cream using a tin of coconut milk and cream and I have only had the machine 3 days. Today I made the best ever. To 1/2 pint of Jersey milk brought to the boil, I added 3 egg yolks whisked with 4oz of caster sugar. Slowly brought the mixture to boil and thicken then left it to cool. I then added a 425gm tin of sweetened mango puree. When blended together I put the mixture in the Ice cream maker, and set the time for 50 minutes. The mixture is quite soft so, if you can resist eating it at this stage, it is best to put it in a container and freeze it in the freezer for an hour or so. Absolutely gorgious. I can't wait to experiment with sweetened chesnuts, mincemeat, mint sorbet to add to mojitos.....the list in my head is endless. Just use your imagination and experiment with whatever you have....and enjoy. The machine is easy to use and clean. it is quiet with no fiddly bits and a joy to use.