5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker
Published on 8 May 2011 by CJ

I bought this item because my previous experiences with the "freeze the bowl and pray" type ice cream makers had been very disappointing. This machine does make very good ice cream. but it is fiddly and to my mind there is are two huge whopping design flaws which detract from the entire experience.

The machine makes just over a litre of ice cream. To freeze the...
Published on 6 Jun. 2011 by A. Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars If loving this was ice cream, I wouldn't quite have enough for a 99., 6 Jun. 2011
A. Allen "allyboo" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andrew James New Improved 2 Litre Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor Includes 2 Year Warranty And 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book. (Kitchen & Home)

The machine makes just over a litre of ice cream. To freeze the ice cream mix you set the machine going, make sure the paddle is rotating and pour the mix into the freezing cylinder. The paddle is driven at the top and has a slightly concave bottom to the main shaft which sits on a nub at the bottom of the cylinder. The paddle is very prone to freezing solid at the bottom and having a puddle of unfrozen mix sitting above. The drive mechanism seems terribly fragile and I'm worried it will break.

The other design flaw is the size of the orifice through which the mix is poured into the cylinder. It's minute, and pouring a pint or more of goopy custardy mix or youghurt through an orifice with a width of approximately 1.5 cm (the orifice is roughly rectangular and is longer at say 3cm) but it takes a steady hand to pour. I ended up customising a funnel that I could fit into the gap and pour more safely.

The machine is built in China and the instructions are a bit cursory. It doesn't stress the fact that you need to set the machine off before you pour in the mix. I got that from the free book of ice cream recipes which came with the machine.

Over all it's good and makes nice product, but it isn't a set it off and go away to do something else experience, you may well find yourself disassembling the machine to manually stir the mix a couple of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker, 8 May 2011
This Ice Cream maker is an extremely good product. Add fruit, sugar and cream, and in 50 minutes perfect ice cream. Other ice cream makers are being reviewed as "noisy"; this one isn't. In fact, it's so quite that one can only just tell if the compressor's running. It is very easy to clean, and does appear to stop driving the paddle if the mix sets too solid for it to turn. My only criticism is the aluminium tub for the ice cream; it would be better if it were made of stainless steel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Kitchen Gadget, 15 July 2011
N. L. Gill (North Wales, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
WE LOVE this Ice Cream Maker. I am a Diabetic, and so wanted to be able to make low sugar, and also non dairy ice cream, so bought this and Vice Cream (recipe book for Vegan Ice Creams). I have 4 young children, and we have fun making it, and cannot wait for the beeps to tell us its time to enjoy - and we have all enjoyed every recipe.

The recipes that come with the ice cream maker are great also, and I would recommend reading through it, as it gives you tips and reasonings for how to get a good batch of ice cream.

I tend to take the mixing paddle out the second it stops turning, as it can be hard to extract your ice cream when it is frozen into it.

Also, I have discovered that if you boil water, and pour it into a bowl, then stand the metal ice cream bowl in it for a minute or less, you can then pour the whole ice cream out in 1 block. I then put it into a plastic tupperware box and re shape it, for freezing and storage - but actually rarely have any left after we have all sampled it (several times).

Only danger of having such a machine, is that the temptation to eat a lot of ice cream is there all the time!

I don't feel so guilty though if it's non dairy - as a fraction of the fat!!

After the 50 minutes is up, the ice cream is rarely frozen all the way through, so you can either leave it in, to be continually frozen for up to 1 hour, or extract it, as described above, and then re freeze it until you need it. We have discovered that it gets very frozen (no soft scoop rubbish here), so when you are going to eat it, take it out 20 mins prior!

The machine looks great on our counter, and take pride of place! 10 out of 10!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ice Cream experience, 3 Jun. 2011
I bought this Ice Cream Maker on special offer from Amazon. It was delivered the next day in excellent condition.
Although the machine is quite big and heavy, I absolutely love it. I have a very small freezer and did not want a ice cream maker with a seperate bowl that needs to be frozen. This machine does it all. It takes 50 minutes to create the most amazing ice cream. It comes with a ice cream book, which is good for giving you ideas on what sort of variations you can make but when following the recipes I found the ice creams a bit too sweet for me, so I have cut down the sugar by half. I have tried Strawberry and Pineapple sorbets they were lovely too. So with one measure of double cream, 2 measures of milk, sugar and whatever flavour of fruit or vanilla in 50 minutes you can have a ice cream that beats shop bought ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James icecream maker, 4 July 2011
i have been using the icecream maker now for some weeks,and it very,very good,makes excellent icecream of all flavours,.Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + Free 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool!, 19 Jun. 2011
Mr. Simon Wheeler (Scotland) - See all my reviews
For several years I made ice-cream using one of the "put the container in the freezer for 24 hours first" products. It worked Ok but was a bit of a pain. However, it allowed me to experiment with recipes etc. I then decided to invest in an automatic maker. What a difference! It's moving from the Iron Age into Civilisation. This is smooth, quiet, efficient and makes an excellent end product. It is easy to use and easy to clean. The recipe book that came with it provides some interesting ideas- though I would recommend buying a number of books in order to get a flavour (sorry!) of what you can do in terms of taste, texture etc. There is no hassle at all with this ice-cream maker: no bother with barriers between machine and container; no intrusive noise; no fiddly bits to clean; nothing to leave in the freezer overnight. Just mix your ingredients, pour into the machine, switch on and set the timer- and try not to forget it. After the timer has alerted you, remove the inner pot and there is your ice-cream...all ready to serve, or to put in a container in your home freezer. Wash the inner pot, reassemble machine, make up the next batch and well within an hour (maximum) you have another flavour ready too! What used to take me a week- making several varieties- can now be done in an afternoon.
It is quite large so a small kitchen might not be ideal- though you could work around that one. It's definitely value for money. And the after sales service from Andrew James was- in my experience- first class. (The motor rattled...even though it worked OK. I phoned them & was sent a replacement first class mail without any bother.)
I just wish I'd bought one of these sooner. It's going to be a fun summer using.....Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + Free 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Super fast delivery and super fast ice cream., 18 Jun. 2012
MP3 novice (Penrith, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
I ordered this from Andrew James through Amazon on a Friday lunchtime and it arrived before lunchtime on the Monday.

Homemade ice cream is so much better than bought and you control what goes into it - which it perfect for restricted diets.

I have been making ice cream for a number of years using the Kenwood Ice Cream maker attachment. The ice cream was great but I was frustrated by the space the bowl took up in the freezer and the fact it took over 24 hours to refreeze, so making batches was impossible.

Having read the reviews I chose this machine in preference to the Cuisinart or Gaggia based on cost and the fact that it was reported to be very quiet and it also continued to keep the ice cream frozen once the programme had finished if the machine wasn't turned off immediately. This seemed a good feature for us, as the machine needed to live in the garage, and I wouldn't always be there the moment the programme finished. So far however I haven't had chance to try out this facility.

I have to date made 4 batches of ice cream.

My first batch of vanilla ice cream did take in excess of 50 minutes to churn to a thick (but not frozen solid) consistency.

I have since made Strawberry, Coffee and Coconut and all seem to only take 20 minutes to churn to the same consistency - infact slightly firmer as the paddle stopped turning. From a time point of view this is great - however, you cannot programme the machine to churn for 20 minutes, 10 mins - yes 30 mins - yes, but for some strange reason not 20 mins!

I presume that the batch time could vary depending on the air temperature, as well the amount and temp of liquid. The first batch was made during that hot spell at the end of May whereas all subsequent batches have been made when the air temp has been less than 15 degrees and with the machine living in the garage it may be subjected to greater temperature differences than if it was in a kitchen.

The machine does have to be left for 24 hours after being unpacked (or moved) so it isn't a machine to keep in a cupboard - hence the need for it to live in the garage as we don't have a utility room.

I do chill the cream mixture well before churning and add it to the canister before putting it in the machine, which is what the instructions advise. I would say that the resulting ice cream does benefit from a couple of hours in the freezer to be the perfect consistency for scooping, but I don't imagine any machine can make it that firm, otherwise the paddle wouldn't turn.

It is a great improvement on my old Kenwood attachment, I have made consecutive batches of different flavours and it does churn to a thicker consistency than the Kenwood, which only has a freezing capacity of about 20 minutes at normal room temp.

To my mind it appears solidly built and is good value for money for the amateur ice cream maker, but having not used any other fully automatic makers I cannot comment on how it compares. My only critisism (apart from the missing 20 minute programme)is that if the paddle does stop churning before the programmed time has elapsed there does not appear to be a cutout device to stop the motor and no warning alarm to tell you that the paddle has stopped, so you do need to keep an eye on progress, but I am not aware that any of the other models offer this feature either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 11 Sept. 2011
I purchased this ice cream maker after reading endless reviews on other brands. I am absolutely delighted with my purchase. I have made batches of the most delicious ice cream easily and effortlessly with fruits I had in my fridge. So far I have made raspberry using cream, strawberry using yoghurt, which turns out more like a sorbet, and the most delicious vanilla using milk, eggs, sugar and a vanilla pod. I made coconut ice cream using a tin of coconut milk and cream and I have only had the machine 3 days. Today I made the best ever. To 1/2 pint of Jersey milk brought to the boil, I added 3 egg yolks whisked with 4oz of caster sugar. Slowly brought the mixture to boil and thicken then left it to cool. I then added a 425gm tin of sweetened mango puree. When blended together I put the mixture in the Ice cream maker, and set the time for 50 minutes. The mixture is quite soft so, if you can resist eating it at this stage, it is best to put it in a container and freeze it in the freezer for an hour or so. Absolutely gorgious. I can't wait to experiment with sweetened chesnuts, mincemeat, mint sorbet to add to mojitos.....the list in my head is endless. Just use your imagination and experiment with whatever you have....and enjoy. The machine is easy to use and clean. it is quiet with no fiddly bits and a joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James Ice cream, Vodka, Cider, Sangria Slush maker., 12 Aug. 2013
Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book.

This review is not so much for the ice cream making use of the machine, of which it works fairly well, but for the far more frequent use of a drinks slush machine. The ice cream we made was quite soft to start with out of the machine...and then the ice cream didn't last long before it was devoured... The machine itself is very quiet in use,as others have said. There is a bit of knack to lining the motor shaft to paddle, once ingredients are in the tub, I put tub in machine, place paddle in making sure it is located at the bottom of tub on the raised bit, turn the paddle so that the slot runs front to back (following length of motor) place lid on and align the motor shaft by hand roughly aligning the flats with the length of the motor. It does take a little bit of force to turn shaft due to the gearing,but one soon gets used to that.... Now for the fun bit...

The main use this machine has had so far (especially this summer) is for making slush drinks. I had considered getting a slush machine but these are very expensive..until I sort of accidentally discovered whilst experimenting that this machine makes very good Vodka slush drinks! I was making a cold summer drink when I first got the machine and discovered that ice forms around the inside of tub due to the amount of water in the drink, so I added more juice (apple and blackcurrant squash) this increased the sugar content, it helped a bit and started to slush a bit better...and then I thought...hmmm..Vodka...antifreeze..so in went a nice dash or so, scraped the side of tub with plastic spatula (the tub is aluminium and could be damaged with metal) to release any frozen bits and let it mix for about 15-20 mins...Result, a very Moorish apple and blackcurrant vodka slush, very similar in consistency with a proper Slushpuppie. I have also found out that the machine will slush a whole bottle of Smirnoff Vodka in under 2 hours, this you then put back in bottle to keep in freezer ( not necessary, it just helps speed up the slush process when serving guest at gatherings). Once the first batch is done, take about half or so to use and top machine up with juice / pre slushed vodka.
The juice requirements tend to be a bit more than if making a normal juice / squash drink, but adjust
to taste.. It also makes very good cider slush, and this was very popular at a recent gathering, just pour a can / bottle or two in and let it slush away, turn around after the first batch is done about 20ish min's. This is also largely dependent on how well the machine can remove heat from itself, I found that in hot weather it takes longer but by putting a little fan/heater (NOT on heat mode!) close the the flat side of machine (air intake), thus forcing more air through the machine and thus removing more heat, I managed to get a turnaround / cycle time of 10-15min at an ambient temperature of about 24-25c. Make sure the curved side has plenty of space to breath..this is where the hot air comes out and is directly related to how well / fast it will cool!! Apologies for the technical bit but It may be of use for some...
I had the machine running around 10 hours continuously, only stopping twice to thaw the cooling chamber a bit (condensation builds up and can sometimes freeze the tub in there). By pressing the timer button a few times when checking the mix one can have the freezer on contimulsy. Always remove the tub when adding or removing ingredients/drinks to prevent fouling/spillages in/on the machine. Occasionally the mixing motor will cut out if left mixing until very stiff or about 50mins (this is normal and is a safety feature), the motor will cool and reset, but if using the machine continuously the machine may need to be switch off and then back on to allow the motor to restart. This is not a problem, just need to be aware that this may happen.

Overall this machine has gone above and beyond its duty of making ice cream and kept a gathering of 12 people happy all day, although we could have done with another machine for other drinks like sangria slush- Very nice BTW

Highly recommended for those who like a cold refreshing drink or slush. (also suitable for kids-without the alcohol). I intend to get another when I have a spare few pennies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, 16 Feb. 2014
This was purchased as a Christmas present for my dad who was very keen to use this!

However the unit got very hot and therefore the ice cream mix could not set!

The manufactures arranged collection of the unit three days later and sent out a replacement.

But disappointingly exactly the same problem occurred so a refund was given!!