5.0 out of 5 stars The Battle of the Northwest Six, Keef Hartley Band 2008 Esoteric release. - Another album of classy British blues/rock, 22 Mar 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is the second album from the Keef Hartley Band. Recorded in 1969, stylistically it follows their debut `Halfbreed ~ Remastered' closely. A mixture of blues and rock, with a jazzy feel given to it by the presence of a brass section. And all with a uniquely British feel.

The closest comparisons I can draw are the blues based rock of Cream (Hartley was an alumnus of the Bluesbreakers, and there are some guitar contributions from Mick Taylor, so this is not surprising) crossed with the jazzy experimentalism of early Jethro Tull or Blodwyn Pig. Whatever you want to call it, it's great stuff. The core of the album is hard blues (`Me and my Woman' almost feels like a Buddy Guy track), which is then mixed up with long, loose arrangements that allow for a bit of experimenting with the form. The addition of some great horn sections gives another layer of depth. There are the obligatory drum solos from Hartley, but unlike Ginger Baker or John Bonham's solos they never outstay their welcome, and remain fresh and intriguing on repeated listens.

This is another excellent release from Esoteric. The sound has been nicely remastered and restored, and sounds sharp and clean on my stereo. There is a booklet with some interesting notes from Hartley about the recording of this album. There are also a few photographs. Unlike other releases there are no extras in the form of contemporary singles, mainly because there weren't any, so this really is not a problem! All in all a great release. I've had a few discs from Esoteric now, and am consistently impressed with the high standards of their releases.

All in all a 5 star release of 5 star music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past., 22 Sep 2013
J. Chesterton "Chess" (Darlington, County Durham) - See all my reviews
One of the first albums I bought, what a joy it is to reacquaint myself with it after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle of North West 6, 15 Aug 2003
I really want a cd of this title, as I have an original 1968 Vinyl album that has only been played twice, once to listen to, ond once to record to cassette, which I have lost. I cannot play the LP as I don't have a turn table. I know that this LP in its mint condition is worth a bit.

ARRAY(0xa47e1f0c)