4.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin
A great product that does what its supposed to... keep all your items totally waterproof.

Published on 23 Nov. 2011 by Javvad Malik

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT really waterproof and lacking in Quality
I purchased one of these directly from Overboard as I like to buy British brands whenever possible. Big mistake this time. Definitely overboard in marketing and service but NOT in quality. I recently took this pack out with me for a month in the Caribbean as I required a waterproof style backpack for daily use carrying a gps and an expensive digital SLR camera. Well...the...
Published 11 months ago by Ravnsurf

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin, 23 Nov. 2011
Javvad Malik (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overboard Prosport Dry Backpack, 30 Litres (Sports)

The 30 litre bag is huge! You could probably fit a small child into it, not that I would recommend that. It has a unique closing system where there is no zip. Rather you roll the top down and clip it into place. At first I had my doubts as to whether it would hold in place, but it definitely does the job.

I use this to keep my belongings dry whilst commuting on my motorbike. I've been through some serious downpours and the contents have always emerged totally dry.

It loses a star for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there is very little in the way of padding. So I'm reluctant to put my laptop in it as it would not protect against knocks. However, being the 30 ltr version, there is more than enough space to put an entire laptop bag within it... so that's a do-able workaround, even if it does add to the weight.

Secondly, there aren't any compartments within the bag aside from one small zip pocket. This makes finding items a real chore. Imagine it being like a big bin bag... you inevitably end up having to tip it over just to find what you're looking for.

All in all a great product that will keep your items nice and dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars solid, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Overboard Prosport Dry Backpack, 30 Litres (Sports)
Bought this for my son to use for school and sports etc. It is a substantial bay and rather heavy but it looks as though it would last as none of the other back bags have. My son used it for the first time for a sleep over today- managed to fit in a sleeping bag, a pillow, his clothes with some room to spare. It is a big bag and may be too big for those with a small body frame. My son is rather a large lad and the bag looks a little big but he will soon grow into it!! It is ideal for when he starts cycling and hiking etc. It would have been nice to have a compartment on both sides of the bag but this is only a minor issue. Got an excellent deal via Amazon as this bag on the brands' own website is almost double the cost. Initially the delivey date was for several weeks but we did receive it sooner than estimated time of delivery. It arrived in a box that was left open outside the front door in the rain! not impressed but luckily the bay itself was within a sealed plastic bag so it was nice and clean. Would have prefered it in a different colour but colour choices are very limited pending the capacity size. Please with the price and quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, a great backpack, 8 Nov. 2012
I bought this for using when cycling. This was after a puncture left me caught in the open during a recent downpour where my existing backpack with a waterproof, elasticated cover of the type that needs reproofing (and I really thought I had) hadn't kept out the rain. Fortunately, my data sticks, wallet, phone etc were in a plastic bag inside the backpack but I wasn't going to risk it again.

First thing to say is - it's quite a big step up in capacity for me. My old backpack was full by the time I'd added my lunchbag, spare jumper, overtrousers and work-related papers to the few essential bike tools, mini-pump and couple of spare tubes that lived in the bottom. The OverBoard Waterpoof 30 takes all this and has the same amount of space left again if needed. Because of the roll-down top, I can adjust the size of the bag pretty much to match any extra kit I have to carry. I could certainly get a pair of shoes and some extra trousers in there if I wanted.

The material of the bag seems quite strong to me. The internal space is undivided apart from a zipped pocket to the rear of the inside. I've taken to keeping my mobile phone in there and haven't had any issues thus far.

The OverBoard is heavier than my old backpack, but the shoulder straps are wide and comfortable and I don't notice the difference in weight once I'm wearing it. The chest and tummy straps work well - it was one of the criteria I had when choosing the bag, as I don't like backpacks without them. I added some elastic ties to the straps once I had them properly adjusted to keep them tidy and prevent the excess from flapping about when cycling.

As to the 'waterproofness' (is there such a word?) - I've been out in showers and rain and the contents of my bag have stayed completely dry. Haven't had the opportunity yet to try it in a deluge of the type that saw off my old bag, but I'm pretty confident based on my experience so far that it will cope when it happens.

My one negative would be the mesh pocket on the outside front of the bag. I had hit on the idea of putting my lightweight waterproof cycling jacket in a plastic sleeve and keeping it in the mesh pocket so that if it started to rain, I would be able to get at it without having to open the main bag itself. After only a few uses, the plastic mesh started to come away from the top seam where it joins the zip. Looking at the join, my wife thinks it may be that the mesh hadn't been fully trapped into the zip fabric by the stitching. I hadn't been rough with it and my jacket was flat-packed to about the thickness of an unused jiffy bag so it wasn't putting undue strain on the seams. Anyway, rather than return it, I did a quick fix by adding another strip of material along the bottom of the zip - I actually used some reflective fabric tape I had - and stitched the mesh soundly into it. No issues since, and really this hasn't detracted from what I bought the bag for in the first place - a waterproof backpack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Rucksack, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Overboard Prosport Dry Backpack, 30 Litres (Sports)
This is a good rucksack and is definately waterproof. Took it on holiday to use as a fishing bag as I also carry my camera and phone when fishing. Were out in a boat with high winds, rain and lots of salt water spray. Everything inside was dry. Fantastic. The only down side to this bag is that the inner zipped pouch is upside down. Now this is maybe for a good reason, one that I can't fathom out, but its a bit of a pain as you have to lay the bag down and turn the pouch upside down to put anything in it. You can't just open the top of the bag and unzip the pouch. For this alone I am not giving it 5 stars because the pouch, in my opinion, is unusable. Other than that it is the first waterproof rucksack I have bought that is completely waterproof. It is also very light and straps round your body well - very comfy.Can't understand why more outdoor shops don't stock this brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good product and works with low cost cabin luggage, 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Overboard Prosport Dry Backpack, 30 Litres (Sports)
I purchased this bag for the beach family days and with cycling under the rain in mind. It can take a lot of items and I feel confident that everything is protected well. An other benefit, that I had not planned for, is that its dimensions fit perfectly for low cost airline cabin luggage. As oppose to other backpack, this bag will not loose its shape (stays rectangular). Finally, the speed and quality of the delivery was second to name. I am impressed with this supplier. Only downside, mentioned in other reviews, there only one inside pocket. Also, it would have been better if the front compartment was waterproofed (maybe like the ipad protection product of the same company). As it is, I don't see much use for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent big bag used on motorbike, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Overboard Prosport Dry Backpack, 30 Litres (Sports)
The bag has been in the rain several times already, this being england and all and no leaks at all. I wasn't sure how comfortable it would be while riding a motorbike, but you wouldn't even know it's there. Even at high speeds when some bags can catch the wind and pull you back. It's now an essential part of my biking kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Its huge!, 17 Jan. 2012
this is a good quality bag with masses of storage space and it is really easy to secure. Also very comfy to wear

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bag & great customer service, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Overboard Prosport Dry Backpack, 30 Litres (Sports)
I've been using this bag pretty much daily for the last 8 months. I've had a lot of inquiries about it from friends and colleagues, as it's obviously very useful to have a decent capacity waterproof bag that's easy to carry with you!

Pros:
Great capacity, with the option to expand fully to 30l using the side closing straps or crush down when closing using the top buckles only
Big enough for a weekend away but small enough to cycle comfortably
Comfy design with both a chest and waist strap
100% waterproof!

Cons:
As with any proper dry bag it's slightly more faff to open & close, but it's the only reliable way of getting a decent waterproof
Could do with a lighter interior to make finding items easier
Reasonably hefty due to strong materials

In summary, over the last few months it's been my default choice for walking, cycling, skiing and as a general going away bag. Never had an issue with water (or snow!) getting in and has replaced all my 'activity specific' bags (a cycling bag, backpack and small daysack) by being superior to all of them!

Lastly, I recently contacted Overboard regarding a replacement strap and they were fantastic, sorted out the problem within a few hours. Can't recommend them highly enough.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, lightweight & good allrounder, 21 Oct. 2013
I was looking for a backpack that can be used while cycling, motorcycling and possibly on my diving holidays. . Backpack is fully waterproof & high quality. Plenty of space inside. Gym stuff + large towel goes in no problem and still some extra room. Small pocket inside to hold your phone or documents. Really pleased with purchase. Will update if any probs.

cons:
No hi vis yellow color to choose from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 July 2013
very waterproof as stated but a little faffy to fasten up. Only given it 4 stars because there is only a small compartment inside the bag to house valuables and its not very padded. But the bag is large enough to accomodate a 15 inch macbook inside another bag for protection. Overall, brilliant!