5.0 out of 5 stars Swan Lake meets Dallas!
Published on 8 Dec 2011 by Best Crime Books

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty awful
A pretty awful book that starts of promising but then just gets completely lost! I skipped half of it just to get to the end. It's long and overdrawn and completely gets lost in a silly plot. The beginning starts off with a great line up of characters, you feel the chemistry between Will and Pia pretty strongly, especially when he appears as her knight in shining armour,...
Published 1 month ago by karen

5.0 out of 5 stars Swan Lake meets Dallas!, 8 Dec 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, well, well. Just what a fool I have been, as this book has been on my to read pile for an age and I was silly to have not picked it up sooner. I don't know why, it looks like quite a hefty read and if I'm honest, reading the synopsis, the world of the ballerina didn't quite seem `me'. Well, I am certainly paying for that mistake now! I have already ordered Karen Swan's other two books and am looking forward to reading them.

Karen Swan's debut novel entitled Players was released in 2010 and her follow up Prima Donna in 2011. I think you could say her genre was more Bonkbuster than Chick Lit and her front cover of this book certainly didn't do the book justice.

We meet Pia Soto who is a world class ballerina and the sort of character you just love to hate. She is spoiled, wealthy, and a complete pain to work with. Her assistant Sophie is the plain but talented Irish PA to the star and her polar opposite.

When a tragedy occurs neither of them realise the extent their lives will change. Enter Will Silk, the smooth and very manipulative man who is determined to win over the famous Pia Soto. Will Silk was also another character I loved to loathe but these people were so absorbing that I literally couldn't put the book down.

The story itself moves along at a brilliant pace with lots of drama and many other characters coming into play. The story is also taken to different parts of the world as each character deals with their own situation. At around the halfway mark things really start to hot up and I found that I read the second half of the book in one sitting.

The added bonus for me was the rather big plot twist towards the end (which I didn't see coming) and the fact that I really did grow to like Pia by the end of the story. All in all I was shocked by just how absorbing this book was and I cannot recommend it highly enough. First class read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Found a Prima Donna in myself, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Prima Donna (Paperback)
What an amazing book! I could not believe that I can actually identify myself with the main character. Pia is a ballet dancer, an international star I would say, who is extremely rude, sarcastic but succesfull on almost all levels. She is driven by anger, by what her father did to her family, by the feeling of being ripped off a happy childhood. She gets injured, recovers, changes her approach to life and tries to rebuilt her lost frienship with Sophie who used to be her assistant. Pia never bothered with excuses or using the word such as "please", she got it her way anyway. Not this time. She is being manipulated and expected to be grateful. Yet again she managed to get away from it and start afresh. Does she succeed? Did she even stand a chance after all that happened?
Give yourself a day to find out...

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and well-written, 26 Nov 2010
Ms. Felicia Davis-burden (Staines, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Prima Donna (Paperback)
I really wasn't expecting much from this, but Karen Swan has created a group of fascinating characters and episodes of frequent faux pas - centred around Prima ballerina Pia Soto - run through with a constant tickling question of who's using who. Swan's writing is beautifully paced, enough description without loading the reader down, and the story moves along at a cool breezy speed.

Swan has researched what goes on in ballet life, so we are treated to many classical terms for movements when Pia and her fellow dancers are rehearsing or performing. But the real fascination lies in the unlocking of Pia Soto's true personality behind the Prima Donna image. This is a glorious holiday read - a cut above the usual Chick Lit books. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 14 Mar 2011
Mr. J W "john_w" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really enjoyed this book, great characters and a few good twists along the way...sometimes books like this are usually slow starters, getting you up to date with the technical terms of the dance etc, but this book wasn't like that. Other reviews give you a good insight into the plot of the story....as for me, really recommend you buy it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 26 May 2011
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I just managed to read this huge 566 page book in just over 24hrs. Which is pretty impressive even by my standards.
This is one of the best books I have read this in genre, I literally could not put it down and whilst at work, all I wanted to do was stop working and read.

I LOVED all of the characters, even when they were being complete brats.
I was a bit confused at first by the beginning trying to guess which ballerina was the girl in the beginning, but it soon became obvious. Pia was written very well, she came across as a bit of a spoilt bitch at first but thats the impression we are meant to get I think. There were plenty of layers to this character and I enjoyed reading and finding out more about her character and who she was etc. It was also obvious to me who her love interest would be, and I enjoyed that aspect. It wasnt a love dovey book by any stretch, in fact this made it better for me because the characters did seem to get to know one another even if they started off disliking one another.
I have to admit I was a bit shocked at the transformation of Will Silk...but again I liked that the character changed drastically because it actually made sense, and made sense of his actions and his thoughts. We didnt get a lot from his perspective but am guessing thats because the author didnt want to give away anything.

The descriptions of the ballet world were also written very well. I have no idea how accurate they are but its how I would imagine they are the descrptions of the music, the costumes and the dancing left me feeling like I wanted to go watch a ballet. And made me think of the film Black Swan and the dancing from that is what I imagined.

I haven't read Karen Swan's previous book Players and I am not sure I will after "seeing" Harry Hunter's character in this book, altho I wouldn't rule it out. I would definately read another one of her books in the future though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun!, 23 Mar 2011
Alison Petrie - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good fun, very easy reading and also learned a bit about ballet in the process!

Read it whilst on holiday and great chick lit as it's an easy read with well rounded characters. I am now keen to read Ms Swann's earlier book "Players" because it strikes me that she has a great future in the "easy read" field.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Prima Donna (Kindle Edition)
really good read. A story that you don`t want to put down. And a cliff hanger until the end. Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked! Found it difficult to put book down, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Prima Donna (Kindle Edition)
a rather absurd storyline but captivating to the end. found it difficult to put book down. a light enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writer, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Prima Donna (Paperback)
I am fairly new to Karen Swann books but having read the two most recent Christmas ones, am reading them all. I really enjoy her work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who thought the world of ballet would be such hot stuff, 29 Nov 2010
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you thought that ballet was all about the drama and passion on the stage, wait until you discover what happens behind the scenes in "Prima Donna". Between pirouettes, arabesques and en point work, expect treachery, heartbreak and an amazing discovery.

At the heart of the wealthy jet set lifestyle portrayed by Karen Swan is the wildest and most brilliant ballerina in the world; Pia Soto. At just 24 she has the ballet world at her feet and has earned the reputation as quite a diva. Striving for excellence Pia may be a sharp, somewhat mercenary and ruthless character but her dedication to her art is unquestionable and by the end of this book I liked her and was rooting for a happy ever after. There are countless men surrounding Pia, and although it's fairly clear who she'll eventually end up with, her initial feelings about him and the dalliances she indulges in before admitting these feelings make an entertaining read.

Set in the world of fabulous jewellery, inconceivable wealth and jets to the next polo match, the gruelling schedule of a professional ballerina keeps the story line from becoming too fantastical. There are several blossoming relationships, a steady undercurrent of who is using who and for what purposes plus a memorable leading lady.

Prima Donna