5.0 out of 5 stars Sat Nav
We bought this after talking to a few people and used it for the first time to travel from France down through Italy, across Scily and all over Malta. It did not falter once. It was in short the best sat nav I have used. Much better then my previous Tom Tom.
Published on 13 Nov. 2011 by John

3.0 out of 5 stars Tends to take strange routes
The device is relatively easy to use. The suction cup that affixes the stand for the device will not stay adhered to a smmoth plastic dashboard and fall off at most inconvenient times.
The problem we have had is the device sets out routes that take you on all manner of small B and unclassified roads when a good and faster route using "A" and other main...
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by Comrie

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2440 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps (Electronics)
My prior satnav experience was limited to 5 days visiting 15 different addresses in France with a TomTom and it simplified the process enormously. This Garmin was the best price bargain at under £100 and seems to work very well, easy to programme, easy to charge and a pleasure to follow the vocal instructions. The screen mount is excellent and very easy to use since one doesn't have to connect/disconnect the power cable.
I am very pleased with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic sat-nav despite a few shortcomings..., 30 Mar. 2013
The Garmin 2440 is a well-made unit, using generally reliable (although not infallible) Garmin mapping. However, regular usage has revealed a few minor, but irritating, drawbacks.

Pros

Large, 5" screen with clear, up-to-date Garmin mapping
Great value-for-money for a large screen sat-nav
Purchase price includes latest mapping revision from Garmin's official website
Useful speed-limit display
Over time, it calculates the estimated time of arrival based on your usual driving speeds

Cons

The spoken route instructions are of variable quality. The sound is slightly garbled and some of the road and place-name mispronunciations are hilarious! Overall, it's not really worth having verbal instructions if they are so inaccurate.

The 'split screen' innovation, a feature which appears whenever you exit a major road or motorway, could be more useful and the idea really needs further development. At the moment it just shows a still, generic picture of an exit lane with a pink arrow showing that you should come off. Frustratingly, where there are two or more exit lanes which lead off in different directions it doesn't show you which lane you need to get into. Exit lane guidance is a good idea, but the feature needs more detail and preferably a moving picture of some sort rather than a rather nondescript still image.

There is an annoying variation in volume depending on whether the unit is plugged into the car battery or running off its own battery. When the internal battery runs down and you have to plug into the car battery the jump up in volume is deafening. You then have to fiddle with the volume control whilst driving in order to sort out the racket. My last Garmin suffered with a similar problem but to nowhere near the same extent. Surely Garmin should have fixed this anomaly by now!

For longer trips, the unit often takes up to two minutes to calculate the route. This is significantly longer than my previous Garmin. Route re-calculations take similarly longer.

Disappointing battery life. This is probably due to the larger screen requiring more power. Reducing the brightness of the screen mitigates this to some extent, but for normal use, battery life is rarely much better than between two and two-and-a-half hours.

The speed limit display is often wrong. Speed limit advice is a really useful feature, given the increasingly variable speed limits on Britain's roads. However, the speed limit information is not always correct, especially on old A-routes! There is a facility to insert the correct speed and save it to the database, but this needs to be done 'real time' and therefore requires inputting whilst driving, which is not always a great idea.

Overall, the Garmin 2440 is a bit of a mixed bag. The important basics (screen size, build quality, mapping and value for money) are spot on, but the unit is let down by some fairly minor, but annoying niggles. Hopefully, future versions will rectify these issues. In the meantime I would still recommend the 2440, especially if priced at under £100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best GPS, 20 May 2012
CatSailor (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the third Garmin GPS I've bought over the years and I have to say they never disappoint. Compared to other GPS units I just think its better designed and easier to use. The company themselves make GPS for light aircraft and boats and I think this shows in the engineering behind the product. Great product, I'd definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabby Garmin, 15 Nov. 2012
S. Spencer - See all my reviews
I have a Garmin GPS V (its old but good) and it gives different vehicle types, anyway I thought it was time to upgrade and bought the Nuvi 2440. read some of the other reviews and yes it does take a little while to down load the up-to-date maps but how many times are you going to do that, my old one did not have that option and it never (well hardly ever) let me down even in Canada. This one is very good, although I miss the vehicle types as I tow a caravan. with the motorway junction split screen its the first time that I have not panicked at the M5 M4 junction (hate that place)By playing around with the thing there are bits and bobs that are not shown on the manual. It does all the silly thing that all GPS's do and like most especially tom tom has areas that it takes you the long way round, but as an aid to driving it very good and I do like the speed limit signs

5.0 out of 5 stars boston Sat Nav, 23 Sept. 2011
I purchased this Garmin nuvi 2440 sat nav after insisting I would never use one after missing an important junction on a recent trip!!!! Unit is excellent and simple to use. Now I wonder how I ever managed without one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Quality, 12 July 2012
Mr. S. Fish - See all my reviews
This Sat Nav is great it has a large touch screen display that is full of colour. It quicky and swiftly functions when operated by the user. It is very accurate once it is locked on to the satilites and give both accurate readings and direction. I have had mine for a year nearly now and have no complaints what so ever. I highly recommend garmin to everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for Money, 29 Jun. 2012
Pluses
1. Large screen
2. good directions
3. lane guidance
4. overall great value for money

Minuses
1. Did not come with charging wire / adaptor at home
2. If you do not have a house number it does not take street address details and directions are not correct

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont use this in Tenerife!, 11 April 2013
I have just returned from a holiday in Tenerife and used one of these devices with my hire car. In the past I have used Tom Tom devices and the in-car systems of both Mercedes and BMW. Incidentally, my 7 year old Tom Tom has outperformed both in terms of the routes chosen and general reliability. So this was my first Garmin experience and in truth probably my last. Personally I did not find it particularly intuitive. OK you could probably put this down to my lack of familiarity with Garmin devices. However, also on occassions it stubornly refused to find the Satelittes and driving out of the airport it switched off totally just as I was approaching junction with the main motorway, leaving me with one of those 50/50 calls that we all love in an unfamiliar Car and unfamiliar Country! So I didnt get off to a great start with my little friend, but where I really had a problem with the device was the routes it choose for me. The device was consistantly directing me to use tracks which a goat would find difficult to navigate. Or on some occassions to turn onto roads which did not seem to exist or ever have existed. It became a source of great amusement to the kids.....'where will the sat nav try and take us next Dad'.
Reading some of these reviews it seems as if it is a perfectly good device on mainland Europe, so this may be a problem specific to Tenerife. But in any case, it is worth knowing before you buy and I definately wouldn't take it with you to Tenerife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 23 Sept. 2012
Garmin certainly has received some mixed reviews across its model line.

This is the second Garmin machine I have owned, and this by far outweighs its predecessor in terms of speed, overall functionality and looks. The screen size is quite large, so I would suggest that if purchasing for use in a smallish car, you may want to opt for a slightly smaller screen, otherwise you certainly will affect visibility.

The operating system is perfect. I have used in both country and city locations and it has worked a dream. The POI's are up to date and the ability to update with latest maps on purchase is a real bonus.

I have owned the unit for over a month now and looking forward to many years of arriving at my chosen destination 5 minutes before it advises me that I will.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy out!, 22 Jun. 2012
Bought this prior to going on holiday in Italy. Maps were correct most of the time. Missing a few roundabouts here and there. Sent me wrong once. Overall I'm happy with it and would recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›