5.0 out of 5 stars Sat Nav
We bought this after talking to a few people and used it for the first time to travel from France down through Italy, across Scily and all over Malta. It did not falter once. It was in short the best sat nav I have used. Much better then my previous Tom Tom.
Published on 13 Nov 2011 by John

3.0 out of 5 stars Tends to take strange routes
The device is relatively easy to use. The suction cup that affixes the stand for the device will not stay adhered to a smmoth plastic dashboard and fall off at most inconvenient times.
Published 18 months ago by Comrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Sat Nav, 13 Nov 2011
John (Clesse, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2440 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last - One That Is Really Good, 4 July 2011
I have tried several of the new Garmins but this one best fits the bill for me. It has most of the advanced SatNav features of the new range of Garmins at a reasonable price. However, note it doesn't have Traffic info (which can be added as an extra but which has its pit-falls anyway - see other reviews) and this means the power cable for in-car use is slimmer, neater and much less intrusive.
This model works well and does not suffer from the somewhat quirky on/off switch of some of the other new models. It has the larger 5 inch screen and the one supplied to me by Amazon is free of the scratch marks and strange patterns that I noticed under the screen of some other new Garmins. Also, again unlike some others, it came free of any software issues which meant it connected to my PC first time and downloading updates has been straightforward.
So, if you want a good all-round SatNav free of the frills of traffic info and live data (which you can get live from any smartphone without the same subscription fee), then this is definitely one you should seriously consider.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective system, 25 Jun 2011
Pros -

1. Easy to use
2. Good to use around London (haven't tried it beyond that but I imagine it's just as good)
3. Bright screen with good instructions for navigation
4. No software issues (yet); no resets so far after using for a month
3. Seems to be build well

Cons -

1. Does not re-navigate fast enough -- can be a little annoying when you need to get your bearings fast enough
2. May not provide the best route -- however this I've found to be a problem generally with most systems and even google maps. I still think you need to know your bearings by using a Collins map finder (very cheap and worth it in my opinion)
3. Does not have options to avoid for e.g. "A routes" or something similar

Overall, for the price I am very satisfied with the device. The fittings and look are very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price and performance, 17 Sep 2012
I've got a 5 year old Garmin Nuvi that has given excellent service but has outdated maps now (and map upgrades are ridiculously expensive) so I bought this. It has European maps and its performance is A1, my elderly in-laws have been able to master it without problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tends to take strange routes, 12 Jan 2013
The problem we have had is the device sets out routes that take you on all manner of small B and unclassified roads when a good and faster route using "A" and other main roads is available. It appears it selects a route a drunken crow would fly, but not of much use for a car. In Hampshire it took us in circles looking for a B road and we resorted to a simple AA map to get us to our destination. It would be helpful if the device gave you a clear picture of the route it proposes before setting off.

Having used a Tom Tom before, I am tempted to give the Garmin away and buy another Tom Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Best trip investment I ever made, 15 July 2012
R. Steinberg "book lover" (New York, NY, US) - See all my reviews
Garmin SatNav was accurate, easy to use, and made my travels a delight. What the Amazon description didn't tell me was that the Garmin included the power cord to the car lighter and the windscreen mount. So no additional accessories needed to be purchased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Jun 2012
M. Saunders (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace an old Tom Tom. I was surprised how easier the Tom Tom was to use than this model. The information on the screen is limited and you have to choose between options instead of having them all. The instructions can be very late leaving little time to respond.The major problem I have is the inability to recognise some post codes. I have even gone to the trouble of putting these into my old sat nav and with this, it was fine.
I was hoping that after 6 years since I bought the previos one, performance would have improved

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, 14 May 2012
My prior satnav experience was limited to 5 days visiting 15 different addresses in France with a TomTom and it simplified the process enormously. This Garmin was the best price bargain at under 100 and seems to work very well, easy to programme, easy to charge and a pleasure to follow the vocal instructions. The screen mount is excellent and very easy to use since one doesn't have to connect/disconnect the power cable.
I am very pleased with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, 6 Sep 2012
This is my first sat nav and I really didn't know which one to chose, so I went with a mid-range one with reasonable reviews. So far, I am happy. It was easy to set-up, easy to use and also easy to update with the free map update. The maps are still not fantastic (a couple of local road changes that it has not recognised) but I don't think that is a problem limited to this model. The screen is large and clear and the window-mounting works well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 29 Aug 2011
I had very mixed feelings about buying Garmin again after a poor experience with a nuvi 255WT. Basically I purchased a lifetime update for this and then on the second time using it, just before a very long trip it consistently placed me about 10km from my actual position. I could have got a new one for 85 and retained the update but this did not seem very cost effective on a 4 year old model.
Looking at all the newer models they all seemed to have a broad spread of good and bad reviews but this one seemed slightly better.
All this just before a long trip from the Algarve to various places in UK and then back again to the Algarve.
Generally speaking. it performed quite well in Portugal, Spain and UK but you have to be careful to select the appropriate "Avoidances" and particularly the "Motorway", "Toll Roads" and "No U Turns".
The latter is particularly important because, whereas my previous unit told me ("Recalculating") when I had made an error, this one does not and it starts to recalculate very quickly. Therefore rather than giving you the chance of doing a U turn it can take you miles off track to come back to the same route.
I did not take advantage of the free 60 day update before departing so that I could have the most up to date maps just before the free issue expires. The result was that it did not recognize quite a few road changes that looked quite as though they had been completed some time previously. I can't blame it for that but I have some severe misgivings about a map update because of the last experience and the awful procedure on the website.
Basically, I think Garmin leave a huge amount to be desired and they are only marginally better than Tom Tom but this item got me out of more difficulties than it got me into.