5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage romance..., 15 Feb 2012
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am pleased to say that this is an excellent compilation of class acts from years gone by. The period says it all, well written songs with performances that did the material justice. Romance and nostalgia do sometimes go hand in hand and this is a well thought out compilation from a well respected label where sound quality transfers are the normal. There are 25 reasons for saying yes to this CD and for me mine is Dick Haymes singing "Love Letters" which seems to bring together the very meaning of romance and that is a vintage recording from 1945. Thumbs up for both sound and content. Good liner notes too.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Funny Valentine, 1 Feb 2012
A super compilation of love songs. Starting with the Mozambique-born singer Al Bowlly's "Love is the Sweetest Thing" from 1932, this CD just gets better and better. The one that stays long in the memory is Billie Holiday's "I've Got My Love to keep me Warm". I only previously knew Doris Day's amazing rendition, but Holiday's is raw and haunting. Wonderful. Talking of Doris: two of her hits are on this CD: the iconic "Secret Love" and "I'm Confessin' that I love You". The whole disc is rounded off with the eponymous "My Funny Valentine" sung by - who else - but Ole Blue Eyes himself.

My Funny Valentine