Published on 3 Mar 2011 by John J. Martinez

3.0 out of 5 stars Anthems Hip Hop
This C.D just wasn't what i expected the song were remixed and i didn't know many of them. I gave it to a friend though who loves it.
Published 23 months ago by Selina Blundall

5.0 out of 5 stars Very surprising and well represented catalog of the classics of hip-hop!, 3 Mar 2011
John J. Martinez (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
I have to be honest, I was wary of this CD. In the past, I have reviewed other imports from our British cousins of "compilations" of not only hip-hop but goth, rap and rock and roll here in America on Amazon.com. They all have fallen short by placing a few songs from the correct genre then putting songs that aren't even close to what was part of the original intent of the package. Well, my Amazon friends, this is a home-run, a touchdown, a score and a goal all wrapped up into one musical box - the good folks a Ministry of Sound Recordings have put together a surprisingly well-documented and just plain great catalog of some of the highlights of hip-hop over the last 25 years.

I could sit here and describe every track, but as it's a compilation I'll say this - to be honest, this is one of the better hip-hop compilation CD's I've had the pleasure to listen to in a long time.

We go from founding members Run-DMC to Kool Moe Dee, and from Snoop Doggy Dogg to the eternal classic love song to hip-hop titled "Used To Love H.E.R." by Chicago rapper Common Sense (later shortened to Common). I listened with glee as KRS-One, Cypress Hill, Big L & Jay-Z mixed it up with Dr. Dre and Nas and Xzibit.

Now my only negative comments about this 3 CD set are minor, but important - they seemed to run out of steam towards the end of the 3rd CD and threw in club style songs like Flo Rida's "Low," T.I.'s "Dead and Gone" and J-Kwon's "Tipsy," which to me are not "anthems" of hip hop - they are good songs, but not "classics" and considering the previous 25-plus tracks proceeding it, it's kind of an insult to the others included that such light stuff was left for the finale.

(I also did not recognize the songs by British rappers Sugar Bear, Roots Manuva & Blak Twang, but as this was released in England, I understand throwing in some artists from the European theater, and as I listened to them I looked them up on Wikipedia etc. and found they are worthy of this compilation for their contribution to hip-hop worldwide.)

All in all, the setup was nice, ALMOST the entire album was worthy of a listen - almost 3 hours of great music (and totally uncensored, which was an extra treat).

I almost took a star off because of the inclusion of radio-friendly middle-of-the-road music with no real heart towards the end, but I still gave it 5 stars regardless - we all can't make the perfect compilation, and I haven't found one yet - but this was as close you can come to!

Enjoy the music, as hip-hop is vital as a music form and the majority of the music on these discs can be spun and you will enjoy it!

(Thanks for reading, please let Amazon know if this review helped you, don't forget to leave me feedback if you'd like, and please check out my other reviews on the American version of Amazon.com!)

4.0 out of 5 stars some good songs, most great songs, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Anthems Hip Hop (Audio CD)
Having bought this to diversify my rap and hip-hop music base, I waited patiently until it arrived, and when it did, i listened to the whole thing from Track 1 to Track 54. It is, simply put, Gold. I have not had the time to familiarize myself with all of the tracks, but I already have my new favourites.

It starts strong, With Walk this Way, Can I Kick It? and It takes Two, before moving deeper into the annals of Hip Hop before arriving at Peter Piper by Run-DMC, which is a refreshing break from the somewhat repetitive mix of Hip Hop disc one presents.
Disc Two presents a huge change of pace with the song from Dr. Dre & 2Pac to start things off - with California Love, followed by Snoop Dogg's 'Who Am I?' and Cypress Hill's 'Insane in the Brain'.

Disc Three is even better, with the very catchy Hard Knock Life and Wu-Tang Clan's Gravel Pit to start things off, followed by the fast, heavy flow of 'Ante Up'. The heavy beats continue with Nas''Get Ur Self a....'and Xzibit's 'X', followed by a change of pace from Dead Prez 'Hip Hop'and 'Harder Than You Think'from Public Enemy. The disc finishes strong, with the head-warping bass of 'Tipsy', and eventually coming to an end with 'Dead and Gone' a fitting end to the aptly named compilation of Anthems.

This CD has opened my eyes to the history and diversity of Rap and Hip Hop as a genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Anthems Hip Hop (Audio CD)
Not being a particular fan of modern Hip-Hop, I bought this CD after hearing some of the albums tracks. It's a brilliant resource of classic Hip-Hop hits from the early origins, in my opinion the Golden Era. A must have for any music fan!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Leaven Ruins the Lump!, 20 Dec 2011
Would have given this five stars if it wasn't for the last three songs on this album. How can you put rappers/entertainers such as Flo-Rida and T.I with true artists/groups such as BDP, Big L, Kool G Rap, Wu-Tang etc. Last three songs stopped this from being a really good compilation album. I get what they're trying to do by going from old to new school, and putting modern day rappers in with the old school cats; but why not get some good modern rappers on here, like Reks or Immortal Technique or something? Flo-Rida T.I. ain't even real Hiphop - erase these guys from this comp and you've got a dope album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to hip-hop..., 12 Mar 2011
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anthems Hip Hop (Audio CD)
...mine was John Barnes' rap on New Order's "World in Motion".

OK so I'm kidding about JB, but if like me you're the type of person who's always had an interest in, or an appreciation of, rap music without ever really holding it close to your heart then this CD is for you. It covers a broad base, not all of which I would call "anthemic", personally, although the likes of "Walk This Way" and "Jump Around" are the exceptions that prove the rule.

The overriding flavour is distinctively - though not exclusively - east coast USA. Bitter bling-merchants of the ilk of "Fiddy" Cent are wisely given a body-swerve in favour of a largely more fun and/or uplifting selection.

Certainly there are faults - even to a rap outsider (me), for example Kool Moe Dee's surely had better moments than "Go See the Doctor"? There are notable omissions as well - no Kanye, no Stereo MCs, no Beastie Boys, no Stetsasonic, no Ice-T, no Ultramagnetic MCs, no Mantronix and no "White Lines"...all of which would have fitted in with the spirit of this otherwise very well put together compilation. But hey, I'll leave the quibbling to the over-fussy chin-strokers in their box-fresh Adidas. Seriously though, this collection is probably not one for the purists (who I suspect will have all, or at least all they are interested in, on here already anyway), though nor does it (I hope) insult their intelligence.

Overall, MoS's "Anthems" series is plugging the gap left by the sorely missed "Mastercuts" compilations of the 1990s. This one's for anyone who likes the idea of hip-hop but never had the motivation to endure a whole NWA album. It contains many pointers for future listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Anthems Hip Hop (Audio CD)
many thanks for my new cd hip hop anthems this is a great cd with classic sounds great buy thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Pumping tunes.., 28 Jan 2014
As with all MOS albums this is a blinder. Some are a bit same-same, but this is different. Great old-skool tunes as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Anthems Hip Hop (Audio CD)
i brought as a gift for a Christmas present, the person who received it loved all the songs on the disc

5.0 out of 5 stars Hip Hop, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Anthems Hip Hop (Audio CD)
If you love Hip Hop music then you will love these Ministry of Sound Hip Hop Anthems CD's. Brilliant tracks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anthems Hip Hop, 1 Jan 2013

Anthems Hip Hop
Anthems Hip Hop by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)