4.0 out of 5 stars Bella, Teddy

Published on 8 Feb 2011 by G. E. Harrison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Bella, Teddy, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Bella (Audio CD)
Another piece of 'smart pop' from TT following on from 'A Piece Of What You Need'. Like his previous album some people may see 'Bella' as another step in the 'easy listening' direction. Yes, it is an easy accessible album, one listen and you'll be whistling the songs in the bath but, it is much more than that. Teddy Thompson has evidenced great vocal flexibility interspersing his lovely strong rich tone with glimpses of smooth falsetto, just listen to the track 'Home'. Rufus Wainwright influences TT's work on songs such as this. 'Tell Me What You Want' has a duet with friend and fellow singer Jenni Muldaur. Maybe 'Seperate Ways' seems a long way off but times change. We should either go along with TT or, dismiss him as 'sell-out' (wrong option!). Personally, I believe 'Bella' is a stronger album than 'A Piece...' and I recommend a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Que Bella Musica !!, 15 Feb 2011
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Teddy Thompson previewed these terrific songs in June last
year as part of his Father Richard's curatorship of The Royal
Festival Hall 'Meltdown' 2010. It was a great gig. Mr Thompson
The Younger has grown in confidence as a performer. Funny,
charming, the perfect host for a perfect musical evening.

It's good to have 'Bella' finally out there in the listening world.
His 2008 release 'A Piece Of What You Need' was a bouncy barrel
of fun. A collection of eleven shiny songs with an equally high-gloss
production. With this new project the sound has a nicely raw edge,
a sense of immediacy and an even greater sense that Mr Thompson's
heart is wholly in it. (Mrs Wolf likes his new whiskery look too!)
Once again there are eleven compositions in the can and I can assure
you with confidence that there's not a bad one in the bunch (arguably
it contains his finest so-far : the totally wonderful 'Over and Over'!)

Joining Mr Thompson are David Kahne on guitar and keyboards (Mr Kahne
also produces); Daniel Mintseris on keyboards; Jeff Hill on bass and
Ethan Eubanks seated behind the drum-kit. They play like a real band!

Among the many delights on offer are the gorgeous 'Take Me Back Again',
with its luminous string arrangement; the delicate and haunting melody
of 'Home', which finds Mr Thompson considering the pros and cons of
family life with unsentimental good humour; 'Delilah' a Wild West
love song if ever there was one, full of whistful longing and regret
and the perfectly splendid laconic vocal performance of 'Take Care Of
Yourself' a lilting country(ish) arrangement which might well have had
the spirit of Roy Orbison smiling at our hero from the wings!

Mr Thompson goes from strength to strength. 'Bella' is his strongest
and most distinctive recording. It's a big bundle of joy in fact!

Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars All about the voice..., 22 Oct 2011
D. L. Young "young Danny" (York, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bella (Audio CD)
This album showcases Teddy Thompson's incredible vocal talents very well and it is a mellifluous and finely crafted piece of work. There is recurrent lyrical theme running through Bella; it would seem that Teddy has relationships (or perhaps the lack of them) on his mind. As has been documented in the music press, some of the lyrics are uncomfortably toe curling. This is in contrast to his previous album in which the lyrics were quirky, intelligent and at times wryly self deprecating. We learn that he is looking for a girl 'who's good in bed but knows when its time to knock it on the head' while informing us that 'I could have her any time' on the albums least interesting track The One I Can't Have. The somewhat juvenile nature of these lyrics detract from the quality of music on offer here and this is a pity.

But then to hear Teddy cruise through the stunning 'Delilah' is to forgive all.

Young Danny, York ,UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teddy Thompson. Bella, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Bella (Audio CD)
I first heard "Looking for a girl" on Radio 2. I loved it. I have never heard such cheeky lyrics discribing the type of girl he wants. The music is SO catchy, anyone might feel like taking up line dancing. It really cheers me up. I enjoyd the rest of the album. "Take me back again" is lovely.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit over familiar and lacking some killer hooks, 8 Feb 2011
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bella (Audio CD)
It's early days yet but on the first few hearings I have been a bit disappointed with this CD, as compared to his previous offerings which I have really liked. "Looking for a girl" is a sprightly, upbeat opener but I'm afraid that after that many of the songs seemed over familiar and for me didn't really go anywhere. Teddy sings everything well and the record sounds fine, if a little bland but I thought that many of the songs lacked killer hooks. Also I felt that the strings often sounded as though they'd been added on as an afterthought, except for the closing track "Gotta have someone" where I thought that the strings and the R.T.-style guitar worked really well. Although I did like the emotional Roy Orbinson-esqe ballad "Delilah" again I thought the lush strings overpowered Teddy's voice and buried the song in a syrupy mush. I also enjoyed the country-sounding duet with Jenni Muldaur "Tell Me What You Want" (which was similar to tracks on 'Up front and Lowdown') and also the folky minor key ballad "Home".

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant CD, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Bella (Audio CD)
I just love Teddy Thompson's music and this album is superb! The more you listen to it, the more you love it. There are so many really good tracks that I can't pick a favourite. It does it for me alright!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Bella (Audio CD)
second album of teddys, and thoroughly enjoying it. Voice absolutly amazing. Love him to do an acoustic cd. Deliverey came very quickly. Thoroughly impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bella, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bella (MP3 Download)
This album is my favourite and I have all Teddy's releases,not a single track that's not good. Here's looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 21 Oct 2013
B. Hogg (Hartlepool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bella (MP3 Download)
Had never heard of his guy until I saw him perform on the recent BBC4 program Transatlantic Sessions. But what a breath of fresh air. His voice to me has a mix of Keith Urban, Vince Gill and Roy Orbison and sounding like that trio he has to be a winner in my books. Bought another of his CD's immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revalation, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Bella (Audio CD)
I bought this c.d. originally for my son as he has often spoken about Teddy Thompson's parents as being singer/musicians he enjoyed listening to. Now having listened to this c.d. I am glad I bought it for him. It is a thoroughly enjoyable sound, with a mix of soft, gentle songs and more upbeat renditions all delivered in a rich, smooth and relaxed sounding voice. His "sound"reminds me somewhat of Rufus Wainwright who is, my son tells me, a close friend of Teddy's so if you like the sound of Rufus you are bound to love this c.d.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›