4.0 out of 5 stars Too Small by a size
This pair of New Balance shoes arrived in good time, even on Amazon free delivery service.

Published on 14 Nov. 2011 by Exploration HSE Advisor

3.0 out of 5 stars Note on Size Selection
I normally take UK Size 9 but ordered 10 as suggested by other reviewers
They are just about right in size and seem very comfortable when
first tried on. Have not yet had a chance to assess the waterproofing.
J G Edwards
Published on 30 Jan. 2012 by Dr. Julian G. Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Small by a size, 14 Nov. 2011

Initially I was impressed by the quality of these shoes, the materials used, the workmanship. Unlike footwear at similar price, the soles do not flex very much, which is what a wearer should look for. Soft soles would mean that when walking on small stones, the indentations of the soles could cause discomfort.

However, pleasure turned to disappointment when the shoes were put on. They were too tight, and I do not mean just snug. Quick check of the label says UK size 8.5 EE (US 9 EE). In conclusion my estimate is that these shoes are about 1 full size too small. I reckon that I would have to order size 10 ! This was because I was wearing thin socks, the thinnest (for use with city shoes). For walking on the hills, one would choose to wear two pairs, a thin "liner" sock then a pair of terry looped walking socks as second pair (such as made by Karrimor, Brasher, Bridgedale see Amazon site for these).

Such a shame; I really wanted to like these shoes but am discouraged by having to send back & forth to find the right fitting..... and no, already checked, nearest (real life walk-in into shop in person) stockist would be at least 2 hours drive away and no, they don't stock these or equivalent boots. (Also checked on US New Balance website. There were no negative comments on these shoes but the equivalent boots had plenty, nearly all said the boots were 1 size too small.)

Uuummmm..... shall I risk Amazon getting fed up with me if I try to order larger pair ? They are really well made.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely comfortable, hard-wearing, shoes, 13 May 2012
The main thing to mention up front, is that I could not find this shoe in "E" wide fit, anywhere else. I'm really thankful for the the opportunity to purchase them at all!

These shoes look fabulous (I love them), they feel really comfortable and are literally the best shoes I have ever owned. They're almost a trainer, with shoe-like styling, but ultra comfortable and construction as sturdy as a boot.

I am delighted with these shoes. I wear them every day at work and they've improved my life; the "E" (wide) fitting is a bloody revelation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take at least one size up, 10 May 2012
Blondel "Vic E" (England, Deep South) - See all my reviews
I bought these for my husband as they are Goretex, breathable and waterproof. They are a practical and stylish shoe.

Unfortunately, they are at least a size out. I bought UK 9.5 (my husband is normally a 9) and they were too small; his toe touched the end. He didn't get another pair as we thought the next half size up would still be too small and they weren't available in UK 10.5 2E - pity!

The colour is a good strong brown and, being Goretex, they would be perfect for wet and dry weather. Don't hesitate, just go 1-1.5 sizes up from your normal size.

3.0 out of 5 stars Note on Size Selection, 30 Jan. 2012
I normally take UK Size 9 but ordered 10 as suggested by other reviewers
They are just about right in size and seem very comfortable when
first tried on. Have not yet had a chance to assess the waterproofing.
J G Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars slippery, 8 Nov. 2012
A. Johnson - See all my reviews
Very good looking shoes that are very comfortable to wear. They do have one major problem! they are very slippery on metal or polished surfaces. I hope this improves as they 'wear in'

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe but just watch the sizing, 28 Mar. 2014
Whether walking the dog or just general use, this is the best shoe of it's type I've ever owned. I've tried The North Face, Merrell, etc, all of which have been more expensive but none have been as comfortable or as hardwearing as these. They're very well made and the styling is nicely understated. Really can't praise them enough. The only thing you should remember when ordering is the sizing. I had read reviews before buying and the general view is to go a size up, which is what I did and the fit is great. The seller was excellent, too and will definitely order my next pair with them as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Your size 9 seem to be to small for a ..., 13 July 2014
Your size 9 seem to be to small for a 9 and therefore a 9 1/2.. is more appropriate for a 9

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for my 955's, 4 July 2014
As the old shoes wearing out from the inside thought its time to replace.
Managed to get exactly the same size and 2E width fit but now they are 956's.
Very comfortable for me though I normally take a size 11 so as previous 955's at least a size
bigger required for standard UK fit.
Feels like they will last as long as the previous pair.
Quite expensive but not as costly as some of the bigger names.
Value for money and comfortable. Must be getting old.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really well made shoe - Shame about the sizing, 14 May 2014
M Jacob (UK) - See all my reviews
I have had a couple of previous pairs of new balance walking shoes - they are great quality and fully waterproof but for some reason the sizing is not consistent. My feet are just under a UK 9.5 and these were at least a size too snug.

Will have to go to a real world shop to try them on after all :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money Gortex walking shoes, 2 April 2014
This review is from: New Balance Mens MW956GT Trekking and Hiking Shoes (Apparel)
Well made product, previously I have bought Merrell walking shoes, these are as good, in fact I find the tread pattern provides better grip.

Good price, no delay in delivery. Hopefully these shoes will give long service.