5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming on the PC
I bought this controller solely for gaming on my PC, as i don't own an xbox360. And really mainly to play Skyrim, as i didn't like how it controlled on the PC. The interface felt like it was made for console too much.

Published on 15 Dec 2011 by R. Degen

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect controller with use on Windows, however Up button on the D-Pad arrived defective
I had to purchased a new Xbox 360 controller for my PC as during playing Dark Souls i accidentally destroyed my RB button so for Dark Souls 2 i purchased a new controller. Whilst the controller works fine and also matches my system it arrived defective with the Up button on the D-Pad been defective, this is only a small issue but chose to stick it out.

The...
Published 4 months ago by A. Trott

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming on the PC, 15 Dec 2011
R. Degen (Arnhem, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC) (Accessory)

I am actually surprised how many games actually work with it out of the box! Titles like Skyrim, GTA 4, Overlord, Borderlands and Saints Row 3 work right away and some even display the proper buttons on the interface as soon as you use the controller. Also a lot of the indie games from steam work with the controller (for example Trine 2 and LIMBO).

If a game doesn't support it, there are plenty of tools available to bind the buttons and analog sticks to keyboard presses and/or mouse movement. This opens a whole world of customization. I've tried this with World of Warcraft and a game called VVVVVV and it worked great.

It has a descent long wire which i guess is mainly for the xbox's purpose. There is optional software that you can install to make it respond to pressing the Live button, but i don't see any use for it if you only plan to use 1 controller, so i suggest not installing it. Windows 7 (and probably Vista too) will pick up this controller right away so you don't need to install things from a cd-rom.

So in short, if you're into gaming but still prefer a PC over a console like me, this is your thing! I can safely say that pretty much every new game that comes out that is also on the consoles will work with this controller out of the box. I should have bought one of these ages ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars good product., 27 Jan 2013
M. Griffiths (West Midlands England) - See all my reviews
bought to use with pc to play pc games. once you plug in first time, it downloads software automatically, and so far works with every game im told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug in and PLAY!, 7 Aug 2012
Drakos (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Great controller for the PC. I bought this as I wanted to play a few PC games that I felt more comfortable with using a pad. Bought it and as soon as I plugged it in, connected straight away and worked perfectly. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal controller at unbeatable price, 31 Jan 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'd looked at several unofficial controllers before buying this one, and I'm glad I spent the extra few quid to get the real deal. As a PS3 owner with quite small hands I'd always thought that the DualShock controllers were a little easier to hold, but this Xbox controller is definitely more ergonomically shaped and fits in the hand snugly.

I know many PC gamers would never even consider giving up the keyboard/mouse combo, but for some games you just need those analogue sticks! I'm using this to play Just Cause 2 (movement and flying was just too stilted and boring with a keyboard) and Fallout New Vegas, which works surprisingly well with a controller. Of course, some PC games just have too many key commands to fit on a controller, but for multi-format games with controller support (basically any Games For Windows release, and the majority of other games too) this is a real bargain - especially considering the £35 price tag on the wireless Xbox or PS3 controllers! Yes, this is a wired version, but the cable is extremely long (about 3 metres) and easily reaches far enough away from the screen. I use this to play games on an iMac using Windows 7 on Bootcamp, and I never use more than half the cable's length sitting a good distance away.

Worth noting that setup was incredibly easy: just pop in the included disc and install the drivers, and you're away! With many games, you don't even have to set up the controls (Just Cause 2 detected the controller and set all the on-screen control tips accordingly - I think this happens with all Games For Windows games). Of course, with some poking around on the internet, you can also find software to make this controller work with any game you choose.

So unless you see wireless functionality as a requirement and are prepared to pay nearly double for the privilege, this is a real bargain for a quality controller that will be familiar to any Xbox users and will add another dimension to your PC gaming, if it's what you're after. It's boring and repetitive reading hardcore PC gamers saying "why the hell would you ever use this for PC?", and in answer to those people I say "don't waste your own time commenting on a product that doesn't interest you!" For those who DO like the idea of a gamepad, you simply won't find better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, sturdy and responsive, 18 Dec 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After years of being a keyboard and mouse elitist I've come to recognize the value of controllers for certain type of PC games - especially platformers. This controller is reasonably priced, comfortable and well laid out. The only slight let down is the D-pad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, could not have been easier to get going!, 23 Oct 2014
I bought this to go with LOTR: Shadow of Mordor. I like using the keyboard for FPS titles but for rpg and other genres I ususally prefer a controller.
Maybes it just what i'm used to after years of gaming on the Playstation but it just feels right.

I was contemplating going for a wireless ps3 controller as I know there is a method to get that working on a PC, but the workaround seemed long winded and I wanted something that would simply plug and play.
I didn't waste more money on going wireless as I felt it simply wasn't needed; no extra money for charge packs / batteries etc, and no worrying about wireless connectivity.

I really could not have expected this to go any simpler. Literally plug it to any usb port and it self installs in the same manner as some usb drives do when you plu them in for the first time, (you know what I mean, the little pop up box that shows above the task bar to tell you that its all good to go). A driver disc cd comes with the controller but I cant think why anyone would need it.

So after this initial install I loaded up Shadow in the North. I was expecting to have to navigate to the options menu to manually assign the corresponding buttons on the controller. Surprisingly I could use the controller immediatley; better yet, the game knows that your using the Xbox controller and in the tutorial and throughout it explains what you need to press in reference to the Xbox button layout, i.e. It tells you to press X, Y, etc..not W,A,S,D.

I've read other reviews which indicate it may not work so seemlessly with other games but I think most modern games should work fine.

In Summary.
Like I said I wanted just a simple plug and play device and this delivered; I will likely purchase a 2nd to play fifa etc.. with friends.
I've always been a big fan of both PC and console gaming, and consoles will always have a special place in my gamers heart; but after discovering how easy it is to play with controllers like this I think I may be moving more towards just PC gaming in the future.

Good price, great functionality, great quality = Top buy

5.0 out of 5 stars This is brilliant, 25 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This controller is so useful. It's cheaper than the normal Xbox360 controller, of sturdier quality (the cable is less flexible) and it still works on Xbox360's as well as Windows PCs. It is black, therefore matches nearly all PC set-ups and I leave it next to my mouse and I can use it for games, if I need to. A vital accessory for any PC gamer. Best PC controller I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real cool for gaming, 5 Jan 2012
This control pad sets you into the whole fun of gaming with PC. Solid experience with Batman asylum, wolverine, Assasin's creed, batman arkham city and lots more

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect controller, 4 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I used to own an Xbox 360, but sold it to invest in a gaming PC. And it was the best thing i ever did.
I bought a Saitek P380 Duel Analog controller and the thing almost made me cry. Bad responce time and backwards controls, it was cheap and I was sorry I bought it, (still have it if anyone wants it?). So, I decided to get the Xbox 360 controller for windows, it was perfect. Exerything works like a charm and its deffinetly worth the small bit extra. Bottom line...if your looking for a controller for your windows PC, this is the only little fella you need. Top class

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Good, 10 Jan 2013
Keep it simple, it works as it should. No problems. Use this with Just cause on PC however maybe I have become acosustumed to using the mouse as some games I have lost my aim, for example a shooter like COD.

Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC)
Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC) by Microsoft (Windows 2000 / 98 / Vista / XP)