on 13 October 2011
In my opinion this controller is the best controller for the PC, much better than the more expensive controllers.

Firstly I would like to clarify what you receive as well as the controller.

1) A black wireless receiver, which plugs into the USB port on the computer- which just looks great, matches the controller nicely
2) A CD containing official software drivers for the controller (the bits that make the computer realise that you have pressed a button), and management software, which allows you to manage any extra wireless accessories that you wish to use (eg wireless headset).
3) 2x AA batteries- Personally I would rather pay more for a bundle of the controller and the "Quick Charge Kit", but the free batteries are perfectly adequate.

The down-low.

Ease of setup 5/5.

The software from the CD was installed in less than 2 mins (on a laptop running Windows 7)- no hassle at all, and no need to download anything extra from Microsoft at all. From there pairing the wireless controller to the receiver was just as easy.

Build Quality and Opinion When Using 5/5

The analogue sticks are very responsive, as well as every other button on the controller (special mention does go to the trigger system, which feels as though it has really been perfected over the last 5 years). In fact there is not a single bit on this controller that you could call "cheap". It is very solid, has a nice weight to it, and gives me the impression that this is a quality product.

One key point is how well this controller feel in the hand. My hands are a little bigger than the average, but I can easily play for hours without any discomfort using this controller, which sets this one apart from the rest in my opinion.

The receiver works excellently. No lag whatsoever, even from 2 metres away.

Compatibility 4/5

Depends on which game you are playing, however if the game definitely supports this controller, then it works perfectly.

Overall 5/5

I have no regrets whatsoever buying this product, and I hope that anyone reading this review considers purchasing this product over any other controller, even better than the Logitech F710.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 May 2012
Just to clarify you get the 2nd generation Xbox 360 wireless controller with this purchase.

1st generation Xbox controllers have grey analog sticks/Dpad. (Xbox Elite Console)
2nd generation Xbox controllers have black analog sticks/dpad with a reflective, silver Xbox home button. (Slim console)
3rd generation Xbox controllers have a twisty dpad.

Also this controller will also work with the Xbox 360 as well as with the PC. The package you are buying here is simply a Xbox controller WITH the Microsoft PC Receiver. You can connect all your Xbox controller to the PC with that device.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 September 2011
The packaging for this 2011 release is much improved, those finger slicing packaging are gone~ This is the offical controller from microsoft, therefore it can play any PC games that requires a offical controller. It is comfortable in hand, responsive and precise.

++: well built and responsive, what you would expect from microsoft.

--: you cannot 'turn off' the controller, you need to either idle it for 10mins or take out the battery pack. There is also no switch to switch off the reciver aswell. Personally, I would switch off the usb port (if you have a divice to do that) or simply unplug it when it is not in use.

overall score: 10/10--just like the xbox one, but for PC~
on 1 August 2012
As other reviews say, great controller. My main reason was to eliminate the wires dangling from me when I play games on the PC, which it does. I thought that the wireless receiver (which connects to the PC) would be of a flash drive shape. Instead, it is a long USB wire connected to a 'tablet' shaped receiver which is meant to sit on your desk. I would have preferred it out of sight, but I suppose this is acceptable.

There is one problem with it - when you turn the computer off, the XBox controller stays on. It realizes that it has lost its connection to the wireless receiver and starts searching for it. It continues searching for it for a long time, perhaps indefinitely, and can drain your batteries. Holding down the guide button doesn't turn the controller off. Many searches reveal that users are pulling the battery pack out from the back and reattaching it. I feel this was a major oversight on the manufacturer's part.

To work around this problem, I went to GitHub and searched for 'xbox controller off', where I found a project. The project has an exe/script which you need to add to your shutdown scripts (instructions are provided) so that when the computer turns off, it calls this script and this script in turn tells your XBox Wireless Controller to turn itself off.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The controller is exactly the same as you'll get with the Xbox Slim Console, so it will look the part when used either with a black xbox or PC.

Inside the package, you get the controller and a wireless usb receiver that you simply plug into Windows, after installing the software on the disc. Once installed, plug in the receiver, hold the button down until the green led starts flashing then, press and hold the guide button on the controller for 3 seconds, then press the link button on the top left of the controller body and you're done. The controller will "find" the receiver and you're off.

What suprised me initially was the sheer number of pc games that support this controller. Games years old like FEAR even support a controller, to modern ones such as Deus Ex and particularly ports of games you can be sure to support the Xbox controller if they were also released on the Xbox 360.

In terms of comfort, there is no comparison to the PS3 controller, or any other controller for that matter. No logitech controller has ever felt as comfortable, ergonomic or look as stunning in the hard. You will never get a cramp unlike when playing with a PSP, DS Lite, or PS3 Six-Axis.

Connection also is rock solid. When the controller is turned on, it's ready to use in <2 secs. Nor does there appear to be any lag or interference despite all the wireless accessories, keyboard, internet adapter, mouse, phone on my desk.

One flaw you might however look for is some controllers have a battery cover that is slightly loose, meaning that occasionally the controller will sometimes lose power due to the batteries not making proper contact. This happened with my Xbox 360 controller and I was sent a replacement from the Czech Republic, which seems to fit better and the problem hasn't occurred since. Beware though, shipping takes close to 9 days if this problem affects your unit from day one, it might be easier to return to Amazon for a replacement.

One final thing is the vibration. If you're used the wired white controllers from around 2007, the vibration is terrible. All the buttons and triggers rattle, and the effect feels very discrete and noisy, not representative on what action is occurring on the screen. The vibration in these new black controllers is extremely quiet, and it feels there are more degrees of sensitivity, from light to, heavy. It feels natural and responsive to what's actually occurring on the screen. E.g. If you're falling of a cliff, the vibration will start slow and gradually build up you fall further and faster.

In essence this is the cheapest I've ever since this wireless controller, and at only <£10 on top of a wireless xbox controller it's worth it considering that genuine wireless receivers cost >£10 on ebay with plenty of counterfeits posing the real thing.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows is a nearly flawless product. It avoids all the weaknesses of wireless gadgets, and the sepoerate quick charger and batteyr pack is a must in my opinion. Almost only way to improve this controller would be to include the charger in the kit. Vibration feedback isn't too common in pc games but I didn't miss it too much. This is the best controller around in my humble opinion for Windows. And I think the overall performance and mechanical quality justifies the price and is reflected in the controller.

This isn't really Microsoft's fault, but the Game For Windows LIVE brand is starting to let PC gamers down. Most recently, Bioshock 2 on PC had no controller support at all. However using software like 'xpadder' or similar you can asign keys to the controller for games. In fact theres a solid little community out there building software and profiles for this.

If you need/want a controlelr to play games on your pc this is it! Installed in seconds on Windows 7. If you alreday ahve an xbox 360 with wireless controllers you need only buy the receiver as the controllers are one in the same!

It dropped a star as it was entombed in blisterpackaging that you need inductrial grade scissors to get through!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this controller to play Skyrim on my PC because I had been an XBOX user for several years & a mouse just didn't feel right for fast gaming.

The controller at just £25 versus expensive gaming mice, seems like a natural transformation from XBOX gaming to PC gaming. Some PC games were meant to be played on that platform and don't feel the same on an XBOX,

The package came with a receiver which is USB so just plug in and your good to go. It worked with Windows 8.1 without the need for driver installation. Just press the silver XBOX button on the centre of the controller and that's it. No fuss, no complicated macros & no frustration with an already familiar layout I was able to play Skyrim without having to gaze down at my keyboard which breaks game immersion. The receiver is small with a long lead and displays a green light when plugged in to show all is well.

Caveat: Make sure that any game(s) you have or intend playing will support this controller before purchasing it. At the time of writing the much awaited TESO (The Elder Scrolls Online) MMORPG will not support this controller on the PC/MAC version of TESO.

Playing Skyrim on my higher spec PC is a better experience than with the XBOX but spoiled by my 2 button mouse which is limited in functionality. But with this Wireless controller (2 AA batteries required) you plug in and go without the fuss of more expensive and complicated macro programming MMO mice.

This item took 5 days (postage free) to arrive and was boxed in a tight bubble pack bearing the traditional Microsoft Logo.

The controller works only with a PC and won't double up with an XBOX. I found this item impossible to find in the shops locally although the wired version (£4.99 dearer!) was available.

Glad I bought it for the money.
on 6 February 2012
I bought an Xbox 360 controller because I was becoming tired of fumbling with the keyboard when playing PC games. Installation is simplicity itself. Simply load the software and plug in the USB cable! Games that support the controller recognise it immediately and it works just the way an Xbox 360 would - except you get the much better PC graphics, etc.

The big question has to be; is the controller easier to use than a PC keyboard? I'm afraid that the dury is still out on that one. I've got so used to playing with the keyboard, that it's taking time to re-learn the games with the new controller. It'll take another few weeks before I can finally answer that, but I'm making progress.
on 8 August 2014
Product came a day before expected. It is exactly as described and looks exactly like it does in the picture. Very quick installation disc. Absolutely fantastic, I can't recommend getting one highly enough. It is actually just a legitimate Xbox 360 controller with an official Microsoft receiver and installation disc. I also own an Xbox 360 and can confirm that it works absolutely fine with my Xbox 360. It comes with 2 AA Duracell batteries but also works with rechargeable batteries as I have rechargeable Duracell batteries which I put in it. The only thing is, you can't turn it off as the Xbox button doesn't do anything when linked with a PC, so you need to just disconnect the battery pack in order for it to turn off, it's really no hastle at all but that's the only way you can do it without leaving it for ages until it turns itself off (which it will if you leave it for long enough). Obviously when you are using it on Xbox you can use the Xbox button to turn off your console which automatically turns the controller off. Overall, very impressed and would recommend getting one for optimal PC gaming along with having it as a spare Xbox 360 controller.
on 2 July 2012
I am a recent convert to gaming on the PC and quickly found trying to play Dirt3 and Metro2033 on a keyboard intolerable hence searching for a suitable controller. I've always like the Xbox 360 controller so thought I'd go for the PC version.

As far as I can tell this controller is identical in form to the standard wireless controller you get for the Xbox 360, same matt black finish. The wireless has worked flawlessly and the wireless USB receiver that comes with the controller has a healthy length of cable on it in case you want to position it somewhere other that just on top of your PC case. Quick and easy set up, batteries included. Packaging was official and sealed and was delivered by seller quickly.

Controls for all the games I have tried so far are what you expect them to be on Xbox, no changes required. If like me you are used to the Xbox controller this is a must have.