on 29 December 2013
I played Rayman 2 on the PC when it was first released and thoroughly enjoyed it back then. The game is just as fun as it ever was and still looks surprisingly good. However, whilst I have had no problems with the 3D effect on the 3DS with any other title so far, this game seems to suffer some ghosting issues so I have largely played it with the 3D effect disable. This does nothing to ruin the fun but it does make the platform redundant. Still worth playing and others may not have the same issue with the 3D effect as I have experienced.
on 1 April 2011
This being one of the few adventure games that came out on launch, I decided to buy it. I remembered Rayman from his 2D games and the delightful charm of the previous games, as well as the rather good sense of humour. Sadly, I feel like a lot of that has been lost in his transition to 3D.

First of all the graphic looks like a first generation Nintendo 64 game. It has nothing of the colourful crispness of the other 3DS games I posses. The controls are okay once you get used to them, but I found the fighting somewhat awkward. Much worse than every single enemy I have encountered so far is the camera though, which is clearly hell-bend on killing you. It loves focusing on everything other than the enemy before you (even when this enemy is a boss), hides behind things or does all the other glorious things cameras in the early days of 3D did. We are not in the early days of 3D anymore though. 3D has been around long enough that there should be really no excuse for this awful camera movement unless they didn't bother to update the game at all... which is where in my mind half the problem lies. A game that was not that amazing to begin with got ported onto the 3DS without any major effort. The 3D effect looks okay, but again nothing like other games.

The worst part however is the story. When I last played Rayman it didn't really pretend to have a story. Free X to save Y - GO! Was the extend of it. Which was perfectly fine and adequate as the levels were fun and interesting and the light-hearted set up really didn't need much of a story. Sadly, this time around they decided that a story was needed. The dialogue is outright painful to put it politely and the storyline stupid enough to hurt your head. It feels almost as if they decided Rayman should be more like a Mario game, but should take himself somewhat seriously and sound more heroic. The result is very much not like Mario to put it mildly. It doesn't feel unique like the original Rayman games anymore - just like a fairly generic jump and run, with mediocre graphics and really bad story. A massive shame.

Note: I am 24 and am reviewing this from an adult perspective. I don't know if a kid might enjoy this game more, but I did not - especially as I know the original.
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2016
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, and Nintendo have been mercilessly exploiting this for over a decade. But if you've played the Dreamcast version, then I would recommend that you DO NOT PLAY THIS. It's such a shamelessly poor port. Just avoid it as there are far better games vying for your attention and money.
on 18 May 2014
Those, who played Rayman 2 on Dreamcast, or PS1 know that it is a very competent platformer, but when you buy it on 3DS, you shouldn't be paying too much, because let's be honest, a remake should not be too expensive. Luckily, this one wasn't and shipping frm Ireland wasn't problem either.
on 7 July 2012
Bought this game a few days ago. I've had more fun playing on it than Mario 3d land! The first Rayman on ps1 is my favorite game of all time. For some reason, I never played the second. This is a great port of it, and I recommend anyone to play it who wants a good adventure game!
on 13 March 2014
Its not quite how I remembered it back in the day but what can I honestly remember? Haha.
Story is weak, my 3DS XL system speakers struggle to play the sounds properly (sometimes).

Can't say I would reccomend but I won't go as var as to say don't buy it.
on 10 April 2013
THIS WAS GIVEN AS A PRESENT AND THE FEEDBACK WAS TO GIVE IT 4.5 STARS ! IT HAS PROVIDED A GOOD CHALLENGE, FOR SOMEONE WHO LIKES THE MARIO PLATFORM GAMES, AND IS NOW STUCK ON A PARTICULAR SECTION. SO THIS GIVES IT A GOOD SHELF LIFE.
on 7 May 2011
I have bought 7 3DS titles so far - Pilotwings, Street Fighter, Ridge Racer, Monkeyball, Lego Star Wars, Samuria Chronicles and this. All the games have been amazing in 3d and have excellent graphics... except for this one. One of only two games I have traded in. Graphics very poor compared to the other games, storyline is terrible and the 3d seems to "double" the images on this game but not on any of the others. I think the people who have given it 5 stars havent tried any other 3DS games yet! Avoid.
on 28 November 2013
I bought this as a gift for my brother's birthday, ordered it on the 26th, said my estimated delivery was between the 29th of November and the 18th of Decemeber but I got it the very next day, very impressed!
on 14 January 2014
this was brought for my son for christmas and he seems to enjoy it. he tends to get into a game for a while and change between what he's got. he likes rayman and so this is a good game for him.