5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully formed small troop turn based strategy game
I would never have considered this; none of its design or marketing indicates that it's a relatively cerebral turn-based strategy game. Other games in the series are action games. However, I was very fortunate and won some 3DS games in a competition. When I looked at reviews to see which ones to keep, I discovered the true nature of this one and decided to give it a...
Published on 19 April 2011 by Alison Scott

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring game
Very dull repetitive game
Published 4 months ago by D. Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like tactical turn based games, get this., 20 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I usually have no interest in the Ghost Recon brand and am especially wary of Ubisoft launch titles, but after I heard this will be a tactical turn based game headed by Julian Gollop (of X-Com fame) I kept my eyes on it. When amazon.co.uk ran the pre-order offer of getting a 3DS with this game at a reduced price, I took the leap of faith and ordered, even though there was a review embargo in place and I had no idea yet if the game was worth playing or not.

Now over 30 hours of gameplay later, I can definitely say that I do not regret my decision. I'm still not done with the campaign mode and after that there is still the skirmish missions I've unlocked along the way. There is also offline multiplayer missions to be played on one 3DS via hot-seat mode.

Since I want to keep this short, I'm not going to write about story, graphics and gameplay and such. Read an in-depth review for that. However, if you do like turn based strategy games like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics A2, I highly expect that you will enjoy this game as well. It has its own style of gameplay and definitely plays like a game that can stand next to the greats and not just fill the time until a new iteration of those comes along.
Just keep your expectations regarding difficulty in check, as I'm playing it on the hardest of the three and it feels just somewhat too easy now and then.

It definitely gets 5 stars for fun and being addictive, but things like the lack of online multiplayer and some small issues that could be improved here and there in a sequel make me give it 4 stars overall. Still, you wouldn't want to miss out on this game unless you can't stand turn based games at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost recon, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Excellant game dont really like turn based stratagy games got this after reading good review glad l did great price as well

5.0 out of 5 stars ghost recon, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I bought this for my son, he has used it a few times on his 3ds, he has said it is good but I'm not into games so can't comment much on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Outstanding strategy game. Nice tactical overview across top & bottom screen.
Probably the best game for 3D graphics on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TBS game, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
This would be a good addition to the game library of anyone who likes turn-based strategy. Don't be put off by the fact that it looks a million miles away from Fire Emblem and Advance Wars.

The 3D graphics work nicely and the game does a great job of introducing you to gameplay features such as cover, use of grenades and how to check for return fire.
The cutscenes are pretty bland and the dialogue is banal but the gameplay is good.

At it's current low price you owe it to yourself to give this a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
My favourite 3DS game so far (Luigi's mansion 2 may yet dethrone it) and an absolute steal at the £6 or so I paid for it. I'm not going to review the game in the entirety it deserves but suffice to say this is an exceptional little turn based strategy game befitting the Ghost Recon name. The story is surprisingly engaging, the graphics are superb; fully utilising the 3D capability, and the game mechanics are highly polished. I've burned through hours and hours of this game and I'm still yet to explore all the content. The story mode itself is a very generous size and completion of this unlocks a wealth of other modes and content.

I'm not saying all the best games on Nintendo's consoles are 1st party titles but I wouldn't have been shocked if this game was just phoned it and took advantage of the DS's good reputation with turn based strategies to make a quick buck. So for this game to turn out to be almost iconic of the quality of games available on the 3DS is something of a surprise. Put simply, if you own a 3DS then this has to be in your collection. And if you don't own a 3DS, this is absolutely a game worth picking one up for.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great!, 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
This is a good game. I think it is quite hard, but good. I recommend this game if you like shooting games. People explode into dust which is funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, fun game.. but..., 9 May 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I really loved the game play, story is a little bland but I can forgive that. The reason it only gets 4 stars is because of the graphics, they are not really bad but I feel they could have been better.

One of my most played games on 3ds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strategy game, 7 May 2013
Stuart Gregory (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Decent graphics, challenging hard mode, the ability to customise your soldiers, this is a great little turn based strategy game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn based strategy, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Excellent turn based strategy game, if you love this genre then buy this now. The upgrades and new equipment make you level up your characters.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS)
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS) by Ubisoft (Nintendo 3DS)