Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 (Business Packaging)
Package Type: Business PackagingChange
Price:£17.50+Free shipping

on 27 December 2010
Great little mouse, connects instantly.
uses blue led light for movement and has a battery status light on top which glows for a few seconds when you first switch it on.
purports to having a 10 month battery life (uses 1 AA included)
It uses a nano usb transceiver which can be stored in the bottom of the mouse.
I liked this mouse straight away, because of it's quality feel.
It has 4 way scrolling (handy on my 7" net book) and a custom button on the side.
Even the on/off switch is nice to use (other makes can be tight and need nails to operate)

31st May update
Almost june 2013, so this mouse is 2.5 years old now.....
I did some battery tests of my own, but never got anywhere near 10 months
Best I ever got was 4.5 months using Energizer litium
and worst was one of those with a usb in the top of them at 20 days (but it's rechargable!)
The rubber part of the scroll wheel started to go funny a few months ago (probably my greasy fingers)
so I cut it off and it works perfectly and looks fine.
The rubber grips around the sides are just starting to go loose (I'll put some glue under that)
All in all, a great mouse.
on 11 July 2010
Microsoft D5D-00004 Wireless Mobile 4000 Mouse - Black

This Mouse does exactly what it says in the item description. I have a Toshiba Notebook, which I use all over the house, can't stand the cursor touch pad so I disabled it and bought this wireless mouse. I have had the Notebook for nearly seven months and the battery in my mouse has only just needed replacing. You switch the power on at the base and switch it off when you don't need it. It's sensitive, easy to handle and will roll over anything e.g. knees, duvets, arms of chairs, you name it, it rolls over anything. I have the pink one, and have now bought the black one for my 17" Toshiba laptop.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 July 2010
I hate USB devices that stick out such as wireless mouse receivers or 3G dongles! This one can more or less be attached to a laptop permanently as it sticks out about 8mm & can re inserted into the bottom of the mouse which can be switched off. Ideal for laptops in particular.
This mouse is symmetrical so is suitable for lefthanders such as myself. Most functions worked without installing the MS Intellimouse driver but I installed the W7 64bit version without drama. This isn't a particularly big mouse, there's an extra button on the left side that can be programmed to do almost anything as can any of the buttons. This mouse's scroll wheel is smooth & has horizontal scrolling. The mouse seems to run well on most surfaces without picking up grunge that would make movement jerky. The battery is an AA & lasts for months & months - not a loy I can add - it works fine.
on 27 December 2010
Microsoft generally do a good job with their mice and this is no exception. The mouse feels well built and the action of the buttons is good with a quiet 'click'. The scroll wheel is very smooth and light and has a rubber finish which makes the side scrolling easier. The extra programmable button is well positioned for use with the thumb and is easy to locate without having to look at the mouse to find it. Both sides of the mouse have a rubberised finish with a cross-hatched pattern which feels nice to hold and improves the grip.
The wireless USB receiver is very small and can be left in a laptop without the risk of it being damaged. If you don't want to leave the receiver in your computer, the mouse has a slot on the bottom to store it. The wireless connection has proved to be reliable and I haven't had any problems with it.
If you are looking for a relatively cheap, compact wireless mouse, you won't go wrong with one of these.
on 23 June 2013
I first bought this mouse about 3 years ago now, and have been looking to 'upgrade' to the '5000' which Microsoft say is connected wirelessly via bluetooth but for some reason folks are selling what looks like a 4000 with a nano transceiver as a 5000! So I thought I'm not going to buy something to receive something completely different and would buy another trusty 4000 again. Imagine my shock then at seeing these reviews on here for the over heating nano's! I have never had any problem with my nano. I did used to take it out of my laptop and store it in my mouse all of the time, however I didn't keep that up and eventually just left it connected to the laptop. It has never heated up or overheated at all! The 2 laptops it has been connected to have but not the transceiver! It protrudes approx 1cm from the port on your laptop so does catch or get caught on things but I've never had a problem with that.

I have size 7 hands (glove size) and the mouse fits neatly in my hand, with the rear of the mouse in the middle of my palm and my fingers on the buttons.

The 'extra' side button does take some getting used to but after a while it doesn't feel that awkward anymore and it's really convenient to have a pre-programmed 'back' button, rather than keep moving the pointer up to the corner of the screen. I know it's only a small movement but once you've got used to it, it really does make a difference. I would have liked to have had a forward button too on the other side, but hey you can't have everything can you! You can also change the side button to something else, whatever takes your fancy, in fact you can program all of the buttons to whatever you like.

I agree with the other reviewers that it was a bit disconcerting at first not to have a scroll wheel that 'clicked' as you moved it but it is a lovely smooth action and can move down your pages ever so fast if you'd give it the chance to. Admittedly though, fine tuning can be a bit of a problem if you're impatient with it as I was at the start. I still am sometimes, but I'm not so bad now.

I use the mouse in both hands, mainly my left but sometimes my right. It is easy to change it to left or right handed and the buttons are very receptive to the touch, although sometimes a little too receptive to my right hand as I find it has clicked on things I didn't want but that is down to me not using the correct hand. I tend to hold my fingers above the buttons on my right hand rather than resting lightly on the buttons as with my left!

It is not a 'mini' mouse, it is a reasonable size mouse. It doesn't weigh a vast amount but is not too heavy without being too light.

The bluetrack technology works on most surfaces, it works on clothing, sheets, table tops (not glass though) and other items. The only thing I've really had a problem with is paper! yes paper! If you have a pile of paper neatly stacked then you'll probably be ok, but if it moves about then the bluetrack technology won't work properly. It can't read off of the paper if it's not fixed in place. If you are using an A5 notepad you'll probably get the same result, an intermittent pointer, but use an A4 notepad and you'll be fine so long as you're in the middle. I hope I've explained that clearly! If you have loose clothing on then you'll also probably get the same intermittent result, but use it on a sheet that fixed in place and it's fine, use it on jeans that are heavy enough not to move about when you move the mouse and it'll be fine. I hope you understand what I mean. I have never found it to be a problem, irritating yes, because when I'm in the middle of something the mouse pointer doesn't go where I want it to because the surface I've got the mouse on is moving beneath it, all because I've got used to not having to use a mouse pad etc.

The battery does last a long time, although when I have been browsing the internet or just using the laptop for days on end I've found that the battery probably only lasts about 3-4 months. I've used both rechargeable and disposable batteries and got the same results.

It may be a little different from the mouse you are used to but go on give it a try, you never know you may get to like it if you give it the chance it deserves! All in all, I would definitely recommend this mouse to anyone looking to upgrade their mouse.
on 28 January 2012
What a result! a marvellous buy!

I was looking for a new mouse for my laptop as I don't get on with my touch pad, my old mouse was giving up - the buttons weren't working properly anymore. I had bought a couple of cheap Logitek ones but they weren't up to the job! I needed one for left handed use, and the Logitek ones wouldn't let me change the buttons. Anyway back to this one. The mixed reviews did worry me, but after looking at the various ones & their reviews I decided to try this one.

The buttons are lovely and soft to press, not too hard and don't need a hard, heavy handed press, just a nice gentle press. The back button on the side is just in the right place for your wedding ring finger (remember I'm left handed) you just press it with the side of your finger, it just takes a bit of getting used to.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 December 2010
Before buying this I had also purchased one of the Logitechs. Both are good - the Logitech is a little more ergonomic with a shape that fits into the curve of the palm. The microsoft has a nice rubbery grip though not as form fitting. The Microsoft really does work on almost any surface - I even used it on my jeans! The little slot for carrying the transmitter is neat - it also serves as a reminder to turn off the mouse. Good buy overall.
on 20 September 2013
I like the size and shape of this mouse but the wirelss reception is poor. My PC is on top of my desk and i have the USB receiver plugged in the back. The mouse was slow and jerky. I have since moved the receiver to the front and I have no problems. If your PC is not directly located by where you are using the mouse then i wouldn't bother with this one.
on 10 January 2013
I wanted a mouse for everyday work use, but not be tangled with wires.
Having reviewed dozens of mice and read reviews I opted for this one on the basis having bought Microsoft products before and being satisfied with quality it seemed to offer everything I needed.
Good points:
Nice size, not too big or small that you cant get hold of it
Good tactile feel to the mouse surface
Nice responsive buttons
Tiny wireless transceiver I keep in the laptop all of the time and is unlikely to get lost or damaged as it only sticks out about 7 mm from laptop.
Didn't require additional drivers with Windows 7, even installs on locked down work laptop without admin intervention.
Battery life is ok at the moment, i have had it a couple of months and rarely remember to turn it off.
Switch to turn it off is nicely accessible on the bottom and easy to use (if you remember)
Storage area for wireless transceiver should you ever bother to remove it.
Seems to work on all the surfaces I have tried, and I now do not use a mouse mat, just my wooden desk which is really useful.

Bad point: (NOTE SINGULAR)
Scroll wheel does not have a 'click' effect, so its very easy to scroll too far up or down. I find this a real issue and would have prevented me buying if I had known.

I have persevered with it and learning to live without the click wheel response, so its not a show stopper, just annoying and I expected better from Microsoft in this respect. I guess this is the peril of shopping on line without abusing the store fronts to check things out!

So only 1 bad point, up to you to decide if this will cause you the same issue.
on 4 October 2010
I wanted a portable mouse to go with my new laptop. This mouse kicks butt - it feels so lovely in my hand and the left click button is so soft and when you press it it feels cushioned from behind so it's almost effortless. The best part is the tiny USB adapter, it doesn't have to be removed and I can can switch the mouse itself on and off when it's not in use. There is also a clever little "home" for the USB adapter in the mouse itself for handy travel if so desired. Great buy.