The Tomb Raider Trilogy (PS3)
Price:£12.63+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 July 2011
This "classics" set contains 3 games on one Blu-ray disc. The games are Legend, Anniversary and Underworld which form one continuous story in which Lady Lara Croft searches for the truth about what happened to her mother.

I remember my sister playing the TR series of games on her PSone in the 1990s and I loved the stories. Unfortunately, when it came to playing the first game I wasn't that great. The saves were limited and that was also a problem. I can vividly remember Lara walking off the edge of a tall structure (somewhere around the Atlas section of the game) and dying over and over again until I gave up. I had more success with the subsequent Tomb Raider games. That's why, when I saw this triple play was available, I decided it was a must have. To be honest I was looking for something to break me of my Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil habits.

LEGEND

The main game has 8 levels which takes Lara on a round the world journey from Bolivia to Peru, Japan, Ghana, Kazakhstan, England and Nepal, before returning to her Bolivia for the final showdown with an arch-enemy.

There is the option of "playing" Croft Manor, but this only opens for play after the completion of level 1 Bolivia.

The game is relatively short (compared to some of the other games I've played), but it is engrossing.

The controls are, mostly, easy to learn and operate.

ANNIVERSARY

There are 14 levels of continuous play. Unlike Legend Lara doesn't jump from country to country, but stays, exploring, the one location - and it is a large location.

This is the remake of the original Tomb Raider, though it didn't dawn on me straight away. I had thought it was a little familiar in places but it was only when I hit the dreaded tower of the Gods and the Swords of Damocles that the penny dropped. I was a bit slow on that one, but it's been a long time since I tried to play the original game.

I dreaded the Midas section, and I was right, you have to be good at the quick jumps, or be willing to repeat the moves over and over again until you are successful.

Once again the controls were, mostly easy - the one I had the most problem with was the `rope swing and jump back' move, but this can be practiced in Croft Manor.

Croft Manor is open right from the start of the game. There is one thing I missed in Croft Manor and that was Winston the butler following Lara around with a tea tray and passing wind, silly I know but I did miss it.

UNDERWORLD

This game has 7 main levels with most of them being subdivided, and sends Lady Croft globe trotting again.

The game starts with a short prologue set in Croft Manor, and it is well worth participating in, though it can be bypassed.

Level 1 (Mediterranean Sea) has 5 parts
Level 2 (Costal Thailand) has 4 parts
Level 3 sees Lara return to Croft Manor for a single part
Level 4 (Southern Mexico) has 4 parts
Level 5 (Jan Mayan Island) has 2 parts
Level 6 (Andaman Sea) a single part
Level 7 (Artic Sea) has 3 parts

Underworld has the most problems, and these bugs can be truly irritating.

The camera doesn't line up properly with the movement. You can line up your jump perfectly, hit the jump button and she jumps to the right or left of where you have lined her up with - frequently that plunge sends her to her death and you back to the last checkpoint.

The camera flies to an unhelpful angle. For example, I jumped to a column and the camera ended up giving me a close up of the grey rocks, this meant that I was unable to tell whether she was on the column, had fallen to her death, had fallen into the scenery (which was what I thought the first time it happened), or had landed in the wrong place. Recovering the camera angle meant that I had to try and work out where Lara had landed, what direction she was facing and where she was supposed to go next (this was not that easy at times).

There is an interesting bug where Lara was riding her motorbike and suddenly she stops in mid-air and the motorbike continues on, leaving her straddling fresh air - not a good look for her ladyship. Unfortunately this is another restart moment, and this isn't the only one.

There are the instants where Lara slips into the scenery and gets stuck there, she literally becomes part of the building, once again this was a restart moment. I also came across an interesting one where Lara was walking along a beam and suddenly came to a stop, as if she was at the edge, and she refused to move until I made her jump up and down over again. And so on.

I admit that I was very shocked to come across so many bugs in a game.

There is one thing that annoyed me right from the start. The guns, which were originally on the R1 button are now on the R2 button and the R1 button is for limpet grenades. I've wasted lots of limpet grenades because of this. I know that there is probably a way to change the button designation, but, from my point of view, there should have been consistency across the 3 games.

Having the guns on the R2 button means that, what were natural buttons now became more difficult, even after I became use to the new configuration, it just seemed less natural to reach for the lower R2 button.

On thing I noticed was I have gained a Tomb Raider background picture on my PS3 menu screen. I'm not sure how, but it's there and I can't find out how to remove it.

Overall, taking the bugs and extras into account it's a really good package of games. The new generation of TR games will feature a much younger version of Lara as she starts to take up her tomb raiding (Tomb Raider (PS3)), so it looks like this will be the last release of "classic" Lara.

If you're looking for a game that will keep you occupied (it's single player only) for hour upon hour then I can recommend this one, or should that be these 3.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 October 2011
The Tomb Raider franchise was revolutionary in the way it brought to us 3D exploration and platforming back in the 90's - as influential in that genre as the original Doom was to first person shooters. Unfortunetly the franchise lost its way under Core Design the original developers, due to lack of innovation and a tired formula. Step in Crystal Dynamics the new company put in place by publisher Square Enix to shake things up, tasked with making Lara's adventures once again feel fresh and relevant to a new generation of gamers.

Tomb Raider Trilogy, which consists of; a remake of the first Tomb Raider, the critically acclaimed Legend game, and the most recent graphically impressive title Underworld - don't just bring back the nostalgia of playing Tomb Raider back during its days in favour, but even now I believe are some of the best games made available today.

The appeal of these games is the pure wonder of exploration and puzzle solving of ancient temples, vast jungles, eerie ocean floors and more. This type of level design is my entire appeal of gaming, being engrossed in another World, and using problem solving to further progress and discover wonders within it.
on 31 March 2011
The Tomb Raider Trilogy for PS3, published by Eidos Interactive, is a collection of the three second era Tomb Raider games that have been remastered in 720p HD. The Tomb Raider Trilogy is the collection of the following games; Tomb Raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Tomb Raider: Underworld. These games all contain a linked storyline and as such make a logical collection for the Classics HD range. Tomb Raider: Legend is a prequel game that introduces some of the characters and explains some of the back-story for the remainder of the trilogy, Tomb Raider: Anniversary is a remake of the original Tomb Raider game and Tomb Raider: Underworld attempts to conclude the plot elements from the previous two games.

The games themselves are excellent value for money and offer a huge amount of gameplay hours (at minimum 30 hours and for most people is should be even more). Also the games themselves have aged quite well both graphically and gameplay wise, with only Tomb Raider: Underworld suffering with its occasionally frustrating camera angles. The trilogy of games all follow a story based style of gameplay with a blend of acrobatics to move Lara through the environment and gun-based combat to defeat her enemies. Although the trilogy of games all have a similar style of gameplay, each individual game has certain characteristics. Tomb Raider: Legend is quite combat oriented, Tomb Raider: Anniversary is puzzle and exploration oriented and Tomb Raider: Underworld attempts to strike a balance between the two.

Overall, this is a fantastic trilogy that should appeal to any Tomb Raider fan and to almost any gaming fan in general. If you have enjoyed The Tomb Raider Trilogy then I would recommend the Uncharted Series (Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Platinum Edition (PS3),Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Platinum Edition (PS3) and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)) as they have a similar style of gameplay and also focus exploration. I would also recommend Prince of Persia Trilogy (PS3) which is a collection of the remastered Prince Of Persia - The Sands Of Time Trilogy of games, as it is part of the same Classics HD range and also features puzzle and exploration based gameplay - albeit set in a different era.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 September 2014
Great trilogy of games from the Tomb Raider series, I had a blast playing through each of these titles especially Anniversary which is probably the most nostalgic game for me. The Tomb Raider Trilogy from Crystal Dynamics and Square-Enix contains Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld in 720p HD, along with the addition of Trophies and a few other goodies, this assortment is designed to appeal to all the hardcore Lara fans. But even if you’re interested in some solid action/adventures, the Trilogy should probably be on your wish list.

The first game, Tomb Raider: Legend was developer Crystal Dynamics’ first entry into the well-established series. Legend sees Lara Croft getting back to her tomb-raiding roots that made her famous in the first place. Tomb Raider: Legend offers a fantastic blend of platforming and puzzle solving. Throughout the course of the game you’ll have to find creative ways to traverse the terrain; the occasional gun fight is thrown in to keep you on your toes, but completing complex puzzles is required to move on. Boss fights and the now almost-mandatory vehicle stages round out the experience. Although it was short and a bit on the easy side, I still thoroughly enjoyed this.

The second game, Tomb Raider: Anniversary celebrates the tenth anniversary of the series with a remake of the first Tomb Raider, which was originally released on the PSOne. The game starts off in 1945 New Mexico where a nuclear explosion releases a mysterious winged creature. Back in present day, Lara is approached to find an important artifact that she once helped her father search for. Her search takes her to the Peruvian Mountains, Greece and Egypt, where she will need to track down all three pieces of the artifact. Tomb Raider: Anniversary has been updated from its original form to incorporate many of the elements that made Legend such a great game – such as a pole swinging element, ledge hopping and updating Lara’s look and a bullet time style of combat. With clever level designs and great puzzles (St. Francis Folly being my favorite) and gameplay it's easy to see why fans world wide praised this original game back in the day. The Anniversary edition in my opinion is a perfect example of how to remake an older game, the graphics and environments look stunning and you no longer have to deal with stiff and awkward controls topping the original in almost every aspect. Crystal Dynamics did a great job at making a ten-year old game feel current, and it still shows in this collection.

Tomb Raider: Underworld is clearly the best game in the trilogy. The graphics are stunning at times, and the camera has been tweaked, performing better than the previous titles in the trilogy. The only real downside is the lack of DLC that was previously released on the Xbox 360. The Tomb Raider Trilogy offers a significant value – 3 of the best Tomb Raider titles released, many hours of gameplay, plenty of puzzles to solve, treasures to collect, classic Tomb Raider action and a ton of replay value. Although the three titles do have a connecting storyline, they don't really follow one another within a TR timeline. Still, this HD collection was definitely worth seeking out. Highly recommended.
on 3 April 2011
The Tomb Raider Trilogy contains remastered versions of Tomb Raider Legend (PS2 - 2006), Tomb Raider Anniversary (PS2 - 2007) and Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3 - 2008).

First up is TR Legend and its a great start to the trilogy. The story is decent enough, taking you from Bolivia to Peru, Japan, Ghana, Kazakhstan, England and Nepal on a quest to find the missing pieces of Excalibur. The combat isn't great to be honest but for me, TR has always been about exploring, platforming and puzzle solving which are all present here. My only real gripe was that the updated visuals aren't as great as I expected. Some levels look better than others but It didn't blow me away in the same way the God of War Collection did. A great game nonetheless.

Next up is TR Anniversary which looks stunning and is exactly what I expected from this HD collection. The original Tomb Raider on the PS1 is my favourite TR game so I had high expectations for Anniversary. It doesn't disappoint. Anniversary is a near perfect remake and although it feels much smaller in scale than the original, it works all the better for it. All the best bits from the original are present (or re-imagined versions of them are) and the not so memorable parts have been ditched to create a solid pace from beginning to end. Visually, Anniversary has never looked better. Its a huge step up from Legend and the controls are much more responsive. My favourite game in the trilogy.

Last and unfortunately least is TR Underworld. If you play the games in the order they were released (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld), the first thing you'll notice about this game is how awful the controls are. Lara is more real than ever in that she now has a mind of her own, often hesitating before jumps and plummeting to her death or leaping in the wrong direction. However, once you adjust, there are some great locations to explore... Mediterranean Sea, Coastal Thailand & Jan Mayen Island were some of the prettier levels (and my personal favourites). Unfortunately, Underworld just doesn't flow as well as Legend or Anniversary and isn't nearly as much fun as a result.

Overall score 7/10. They're not perfect but Legend, Anniversary and even Underworld are still a lot of fun to play. With time trials, bonus content and trophies for all three games, there's plenty of replay value.
on 13 September 2011
Loved Tomb Raider since the very first game.

Hated Sony when they made the PS3 incompatible with PS2 games and even bought a spare PS2 slim from ebay mainly to be able to play the Tomb Raider games. With this release I can now play them on the PS3 with the enhanced graphics as well. Result.

I still think Anniversary is the best of the bunch for those of us bought up on the original Tomb Raider.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a must have package for all Tomb Raider fans. Legend and Anniversary have made a solid transition to HD, with Underworld looking as good as ever. The game play may not be as smooth as many newer adventure titles i.e. Uncharted, but it is clear when playing where the inspiration for these games came from. The stories are great and the voice acting has held up surprisingly well considering they're a good five/six years old. The exclusive content may not be anything too exciting but is still a welcome bonus. For those new to the series this is an excellent place to start, as you get three fantastic games on one disc, and trophy support is enough to make this game worth while for those familiar with the series. I was sceptical at first as I have such fond memories of Legend and Anniversary, but they were as fun to play as ever and at this price the set is a bargain.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 February 2013
First of all I have to mention that I'm a huge tomb raider fan, so I guess I'm alittle biased, but these games are brilliant. The best of the bunch is tomb raider anniversary, which is a remake of the original ps1 game. Anniversary perfectly captures the atmosphere and sense of adventure of the original but brings plenty of new things to the table. Levels have either been completely revamped (for the better) or extended from the original game. The controls are mostly responsive, as is the camera system. The puzzles are well thought out, and its refreshing to play a game that requires some thinking, as opposed to the abundance of shooters on the market (but thats another story).
Tomb raider legend is more action oriented than anniversary but that is by no means a bad thing, plus it does have its fair share of puzzles too.
The last game, tomb raider underworld, is another fun entry in the series and features the largest levels in a tomb raider game (well, at least until the reboot is out). Underworld is better than legend and has more exploration/puzzles. Also the story is connected to the original game, so its exciting to revist old locations.
Lastly the HD transfers of each game is brilliant (underworld was already on the ps3, but legend and anniversary were not). The visuals are lush, detailed and full of life. I highly recommend this for tomb raider fans or just adventure lovers in general, plus its a good way to hype up the new tomb raider reboot.
Happy raiding B-)
on 19 June 2011
Having been a fan of Tomb Raider since the original I was happy to see Legend and Anniversary getting a HD upgrade. I played both for the PS2 and was pleasantly surprised at how well these games hold up today. First off Legend was especially pleasing considering the age of the game it looks wonderful on the PS3, the same can be said for Anniversary but thats not such a shock since it was released on the 360 a while back. As for Underworld that remains a graphically stunning game. The detail in the levels is just immense this is especially true in Underworld which has numerous locales, the Thailand level springs in mind for its stunning visuals.

The gameplay its self is extremely fun, I recently played the original Tomb Raider and although great the controls really are archaic, but in these titles controlling Lara is actually fun. The platforming in Tomb Raider games has always been top notch and the same can be said here. The levels are perfectly paced with a blend of action, puzzles and exploration. Legend is the most straight forward its shorter than the other titles but still great. With the added bonus of trophies and numerous unlockables (Including stacks of alternate outfits) Legend will keep you busy beyond its rather short main story, add in The Croft Manor and Time Trials and theres plenty to be getting on with. Anniversary is more of a traditional Tomb Raider (obviously since its a remake of the original). The levels are harder and the experience is much longer. Even if you played the original, Anniversary remains a challenge. Underworld is very much a mix of the two it has the action of Legend but the vast and sprawling levels of Anniversary, couple in the stunning graphics and Underworld truly shines.

The story of Tomb Raider is of course extremely melodramatic but non the less great. The voice acting is top notch and Underworld especially has an excellent dark tale to tell.

The theme that comes with this title is not dynamic and although cool isn't really anything special I find the free Underworld themes (on the Playstation Store) to be much better looking. As well as the theme you get numerous "Making of" videos that are interesting but nothing really special.

I should also note that the games are not without a few issues. Legend has minor sound issues (that were not present on the original release), there a also certain points where the visuals get a bit off for example Lara's skin becoming very dark when wearing an alternate costume in certain light. Also a rather serious issue is certain points of a level not activating and preventing you from progressing this happened just once to me on the first level with a trap failing to reopen and leaving me stuck. However upon reloading this didn't happen again throughout the game.

Overall these titles may not be ground breaking but they do what they set out to do perfectly, too often people review a game based on what it isn't but I'm focusing on what they are and thats fun, challenging and utterly immersing. These are the final titles of the current gen Tomb Raider and for the price they really are worth the cash, if your a Tomb Raider fan then you've probably already bought this title, if your not a fan then maybe now is the best time to give it a chance? Three games, one disc, low price you really can't go wrong.
on 4 May 2011
Tomb Raider legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary have both transfered beautifully from PS2 to PS3. Both games are hugely enjoyable, with unlimited replay value, and now come complete with trophies to earn, a few of which can be a little tricky to achieve. Also on the disc is Tomb Raider Underworld, which is the basic game. If you are a fan of Tomb Raider, or just enjoy a good game with puzzles, treasures, traps and time trials, then this 3rd person adventure shooter package is a must have for your gaming library.