Showing 1-10 of 285 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 18 September 2011
I bought a pair of these clippers from another website because there was a four week wait for Amazon's £29.99 bargain pair and I needed them quickly. I had an old pair of Babyliss clippers that were getting increasingly hotter every time I used them and the grade one comb guide I used had begun to melt.

I was always quite happy with my Babyliss clippers until I started to use these. They are nice and light without being too light and plasticy and glide over my head so smoothly that it takes half the time to cut my hair. The clippers come with three comb guides, a precision trimmer, a cleaning brush and a handheld mirror. The mirror has an elastic hand strap so you can use it with one hand and not worry about dropping it. There is no hairdresser's cape or carry case included with this item which is a slight negative but can be forgiven for the quality of the items you do get.

I normally cut my hair down to grade one (3mm), and was worried when I bought these that they wouldn't cut as short as I like, but using the shortest of the comb guides (1-3mm) I got a perfect cut at 3mm. I even went a bit shorter to 2mm and will use this setting from now on - but beware - 1mm doesn't sound like a big difference but it's quite significant, especially, if like me you are blonde haired. I now look completely bald!

The rotating head on the clippers is a great idea but does take some getting used to - persevere and you'll get there in the end!

All in all, I would highly recommend this item and am so glad I bought them myself - any doubters should take the plunge and wouldn't regret it!
on 23 July 2012
i had the previous version of this shaver, whilst it was ok the head never cut short enough for me, let me tell you there are no such worries with this shaver. You can shave down to 1mm with it, you alter the setting with either a different length comb or like me you put the smallest comb on and then you can actually rotate the head of the shaver down in increments of point 5 of a mill, it shows the length of cut on the back of the unit, very handy. The main head can be rotated around so that you can cut easily in different directions. I am very happy with the razor and is a leap from the earlier model, i just hope that it lasts a bit longer than the last one that died on me, so far i cannot fault it, at the time of buying amazon had shaved a bit off the price too, will add about the longevity later or when it eventually dies.
on 9 December 2011
Having used multiple clippers over the years (generally binning them when the guard attachments broke - I admit I'm too lazy to try and get replacements), these are by far the best clippers I've owned to date. I've had all sorts - corded, cordless, ceramic... The main difference I notice is the weight of them, extremely light (perhaps half the weight of other clippers I've had) - yet despite this they are as powerful and perfectly up for the job. Even though I've never had a issue with other weightier clippers, the lightness of these really helps when cutting your own hair. Yeah the head part rotates, yeah it helps somewhat (mainly for comfort if you take an age to get the back of your hair right) but honestly the main sell point is the weight and value. Of course they only get 5* because they do a good, even job of cutting too.

Guards go from 1mm-30mm, can also be used without a guard for tidying sideburns etc. Blades are self-sharpening/maintaining so no worries there. Also waterproof but I don't trust them/me quite enough to stick them under the tap just yet; the typical brush is included for a quick clean. There's a mirror included to help you see the back of your head, nice touch. Unfortunately no carrying pouch so bit of a fumble to get them back into the box... nevermind.

Charging takes 1hr to fully charge which equals 1hr of cutting time... nice and quick, other clippers always took an age to charge and I had to think 'ahead' to charge up beforehand. A flashing light indicates when charging and a solid-state light shows when charged. They can be used with the charger attached for emergency head sharpening events, but much better to use cordless.

Fully recommended!
I've had the previous model of these Philips hair clippers for over 5 years, they are still working but the battery is getting old and I worry it won't hold enough charge for a complete haircut so I opted to get this new model.

Over the last 5 years its saved me nearly £200 in haircuts, no appointments, etc.

I cannot recommend the Philips highly enough, after all 5+ years and no issues is a very good recommendation.

I like the new look of the new model and its now waterproof which is a major benefit for keeping it clean and free of hair.

You have so many options as to how long you would like your hair to be cut down to, it doesn't have to be be shaved head time, just change the combs and set the depth, its extremely flexible.

I recommend one setting for the whole head, then carefully come down a few levels for around the ears, finally take off the comb to trim the back hairline (see my tip below!) and to remove sideburns or to trim and shape them.

The first couple of times you cut your own hair you might end up with hair all over the place and think, i'm never doing this again!, don't panic, just keep at it, after just a couple more times you will perfect it and hardly make any mess at all, I now can do it over the bathroom sink and leave no mess anywhere else, then its just a simple clean of the sink which takes moments.

Here is a tip, get some packing tape, pull off a strip, line it up with your ears, keep it level and pull it towards the back of your head, now pat it down. Use it as a mask to cut the back of your head level and no one will ever know you cut your own hair :-)
on 6 June 2013
Been using this for about a year now. Didn't want to write a review till I was sure, but WOW !! So simple to use. I've never cut my own hair before. And seeing as all I need is short back and sides, with a little left on top for me to style, I thought I'd might as well give it a go. This product makes it so easy. The best thing for me is how easy it is to blend in the sides and back.

The mirror provided is OK, but a little small if you ask me, but other than that the clippers are fantastic. If you're thinking of cutting your own hair, I doubt there is a product out there that could beat this one on ease of use and quality.
on 13 June 2012
I have been using this product weekly for nearly two months now, having bought it to replace an old pair of remington clippers.

The first thing I should point out is that my hair is very short and so I only use the 3mm and below fitting so cannot comment on the other two clippers, one of which appears to have caused some customers problems.

My experience of this product has been fairly limited thus far (used it 8 times) but I have to say I am impressed. It is easy to handle, holds its charge and most importantly has provided a neat and accurate cut each time of asking. There is a dial that allows the user to alter the length of the cut (for me 3mm, 2.5mm, 2mm etc.), this is a real bonus and means that if I want to have ever so slightly longer hair on top than at the sides I can, not something that I was able to do with more traditional trimmers (whereby 3mm, 5mm, 9mm..... were the only options, not much use if you want a really short cut).

Overall I am very pleased with the purchase and if, like me, you have very short hair I would totally recommend.
on 15 January 2013
This is the first time we have ever bought hair clippers, so we have absolutely no experience in using them at all, but the adjustable length settings and great design of these clippers just made it so easy!
My husband has used them twice on our little boy, on a longer setting at first, then a bit shorter once he had got used to it (and we were feeling braver!). Both times, the finished cut was even and neat.
I even used it on my husband's hair (and I have never been known for having a steady hand, so I was a little nervous!) and I have to say, it looked pretty good!
I did find I needed to hold his hair upright on top to get the cutters to cut it, but I think this was probably more to do with his hair, which was long and quite sparse on top, than it was to do with the cutters.
My husband has not yet been brave enough to try to do his own hair, so we can not comment on the DIY ability of the clipper.

All in all, I would highly recommend these clippers to anyone, especially beginners, as they are just so easy to use, and give a great looking finish!
on 30 August 2012
This product is the business! I usually pay between £10.50 and £14 for a barber but after a friend did my hair for me with his pair of clippers I decided to buy my own. In just 8 weeks the product will have almost paid for itself (I bought my clippers from Superdrug - the till rung them up at £59.99 but the ticket price was £29.99!! A bargain). I have straight hair and find the best way to cut is to go against the hair - you may need to go over the hair more than once. Do not apply pressure to the head otherwise the guard is likely to deform and take chunks of hair out and give you an uneven cut - just let them glide over. I have my clippers set to the maximum length (30 mm) which is fine for me. I was always very dubious about letting others have a go at my hair with clippers (a few bad experiences in my youth) but with these its incredibly easy to do your own hair and get great results! 5 stars!!
on 14 March 2013
Had previously tried a combined hair/beard trimmer but that wasn't great at either (if u muck it up it takes ages to grow back so u can try again but it can take time to learn from your mistakes)

This is a much easier way to trim your hair as it makes it very easy to get a good result & any bits you do miss can be easily got at thanks to the swivel head (which only takes a few seconds to get the hang of).

I would especially recommend this trimmer if like me you struggle with movement as the swivel head makes it very easy to get a good cut. Has 3 length combs so u can try different looks & taper the length around ears & neckline. Also can be cleaned out under tap.

Only donwside is the instructions don't make it very clear how to remove cutting head & change combs (but it's not too difficult to figure out) but otherwise very pleased with product.
on 28 April 2012
This is a hair trimmer ONLY for people with short hair. The two length combs that are provided allow you to select the length by rotating the dial on the trimmer BUT the major problem is that the polycarbonate chosen by Philips to manufacture the guide combs, is far to soft, allowing them to bow in the middle when used. However as I have really short hair this is not a problem. But please be aware of this before you purchase. The design of the clippers is pretty impressive, you get a quick charge time of one hour and a powerful motor. Also included is a mirror (elastic on the back) and a brush, the best bit for me is no oil needed as the blades are stainless steel and you can also wash/rinse the blades of under the tap so you always have a clean set of clippers. If you like your hair short I would recommend you buy a pair instead of paying a fortune at the barbers.