4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, did the job perfectly
Usually I let my hair get quite long before going and getting a short cut at the local barbers (about £10 a time). As my hair on top is getting slightly thinner and more noticeable when my hair is longer I wanted to be able to keep it short regularly trimming it back.
Published on 18 Aug 2011 by Peter Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Cuts great, but a bit fiddly
Published on 3 Aug 2011 by S. Warren

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, did the job perfectly, 18 Aug 2011
Peter Edwards (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips QC5530 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper with 180 Degree Rotating Head (Personal Care)
I used the "medium" comb on its longest setting to achieve the length I wanted. I were pleasantly surprised when the end result was a great even cut all over. Trimming loose hairs at the back of your head is hard but the rotating head and hand mirror makes it easier.

The quality is great and Phillips seem to have put a lot of research into the development of this product to make it as easy as possible for the end user to operate.

4 Stars because even though it is a great product, for the price I think it should have included a case/ bag of some sort for storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Cut' Above The Rest!, 18 Sep 2011
Steve Allen (Watford, Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of these clippers from another website because there was a four week wait for Amazon's £29.99 bargain pair and I needed them quickly. I had an old pair of Babyliss clippers that were getting increasingly hotter every time I used them and the grade one comb guide I used had begun to melt.

I was always quite happy with my Babyliss clippers until I started to use these. They are nice and light without being too light and plasticy and glide over my head so smoothly that it takes half the time to cut my hair. The clippers come with three comb guides, a precision trimmer, a cleaning brush and a handheld mirror. The mirror has an elastic hand strap so you can use it with one hand and not worry about dropping it. There is no hairdresser's cape or carry case included with this item which is a slight negative but can be forgiven for the quality of the items you do get.

I normally cut my hair down to grade one (3mm), and was worried when I bought these that they wouldn't cut as short as I like, but using the shortest of the comb guides (1-3mm) I got a perfect cut at 3mm. I even went a bit shorter to 2mm and will use this setting from now on - but beware - 1mm doesn't sound like a big difference but it's quite significant, especially, if like me you are blonde haired. I now look completely bald!

The rotating head on the clippers is a great idea but does take some getting used to - persevere and you'll get there in the end!

All in all, I would highly recommend this item and am so glad I bought them myself - any doubters should take the plunge and wouldn't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips shaver, 23 July 2012
i had the previous version of this shaver, whilst it was ok the head never cut short enough for me, let me tell you there are no such worries with this shaver. You can shave down to 1mm with it, you alter the setting with either a different length comb or like me you put the smallest comb on and then you can actually rotate the head of the shaver down in increments of point 5 of a mill, it shows the length of cut on the back of the unit, very handy. The main head can be rotated around so that you can cut easily in different directions. I am very happy with the razor and is a leap from the earlier model, i just hope that it lasts a bit longer than the last one that died on me, so far i cannot fault it, at the time of buying amazon had shaved a bit off the price too, will add about the longevity later or when it eventually dies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips QC5530 - Quality Bit of Kit, 9 Dec 2011
M. Wilson - See all my reviews
Having used multiple clippers over the years (generally binning them when the guard attachments broke - I admit I'm too lazy to try and get replacements), these are by far the best clippers I've owned to date. I've had all sorts - corded, cordless, ceramic... The main difference I notice is the weight of them, extremely light (perhaps half the weight of other clippers I've had) - yet despite this they are as powerful and perfectly up for the job. Even though I've never had a issue with other weightier clippers, the lightness of these really helps when cutting your own hair. Yeah the head part rotates, yeah it helps somewhat (mainly for comfort if you take an age to get the back of your hair right) but honestly the main sell point is the weight and value. Of course they only get 5* because they do a good, even job of cutting too.

Guards go from 1mm-30mm, can also be used without a guard for tidying sideburns etc. Blades are self-sharpening/maintaining so no worries there. Also waterproof but I don't trust them/me quite enough to stick them under the tap just yet; the typical brush is included for a quick clean. There's a mirror included to help you see the back of your head, nice touch. Unfortunately no carrying pouch so bit of a fumble to get them back into the box... nevermind.

Charging takes 1hr to fully charge which equals 1hr of cutting time... nice and quick, other clippers always took an age to charge and I had to think 'ahead' to charge up beforehand. A flashing light indicates when charging and a solid-state light shows when charged. They can be used with the charger attached for emergency head sharpening events, but much better to use cordless.

Fully recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product but.., 19 Nov 2011
I really liked this product, the quality is very well and working very well, very handy and easy to use. But if you want to cut your hair longer than 3 mm it is little bit hard, because the front part is plastic and when you push it on your head it will go deeper until 3 mm. so if you want longer than 3 mm, it is not the perfect one, but still it is pretty good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hair today..., 14 Oct 2011
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never used electric hair clippers before but I have used Philips' electric razors for many years. I initially thought that the product seemed a bit 'plasticy' and flimsy when I first got it out of the box but I guess this is in line with the current crop of Philips razors and I suppose that it makes both products light and easy to use.

I decided to go for one of the longer hair settings for my first self-inflicted haircut and while this was a bit awkward to acheive it was relatively quick and surprisingly easy. However, when my wife came back she was not very complementary about the cut, saying that it looked like an old-fashioned pudding-bowl haircut with the hairs all the same length. She therefore tidied it up for me, varying the lengths of the hair at the back and sides by using the shorter 1mm and 1-3mm attachments. For my next haircut a few weeks later my wife took charge using just the 1-3mm attachment and produced a very professional looking short trim very quickly.

I think that for these short haircuts this clipper is ideal and now that I can see what is involved and how to do it I would certainly try to cut my own hair again. However, I think that you can get a much better finish if you can get someone else do it for you and by varying the hair lengths by using the different attachments. As others have said a plastic box or case to keep the clipper and its attachments in would have been nice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cuts great, but a bit fiddly, 3 Aug 2011
S. Warren "ste_warren" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a start, I am a baldy and shave my head twice per week on the shortest setting (without the plastic comb attachments). I have used this shaver twice now, and my thoughts are that the clippers are very efficient, they cut my head very short and I would absolutely recommend these for a decent short cut. The drawback for me was that it's a bit fiddly when you start turning the rotating head round to get to harder to reach places. With a traditional shaver, you simply hold it differently to get to the hair behind your ear and you tend to learn (with practice) how to get to these hard to reach places. With this thing, I found it to be a bit of a hassle. I am certainly going to stick with it for a while longer simply because it is so efficient at shaving, but if I am being honest, there are lots of alternatives out there that cost a fair bit less that do the same job, only with a bit less messing about. I will review this review in 1 month once I have used more regularly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working properly after a few weeks, and not fit for purpose!, 22 Dec 2013
B. Ward (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Worked great the first couple of times I used it, but the third time, as others have also reported here, it started making a high pitch noise for a second then cutting itself off, as if it was warning of being jammed. I tried brushing out hairs and taking out the cutters and putting back in, but it kept doing it. Not only that, but this last time I realised after cutting one side of my hair, that it was shorter than I wanted. Having double check what setting it was on, I realised it had altered from what I set it to. I had set it to 15 but it had gone to 7! I decided to test by rotating it to the highest setting, then gently pushing in, and realised that a firm but not too firm push would actually move the comb attachment in and adjust the setting. So you only need to push down slightly while cutting your hair for it to adjust and cut your hair shorter than you wanted! Totally not acceptable! This, together with the constant cutting out, made me throw it to my kitchen floor in anger. I am now on the look out for a better quality one, and will NOT be buying from Philips range again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Clipper, Lacking equipment, 8 Sep 2013
Just got the item a few days ago.

Only used it once and I already found a good deal of difference between this one and my previous Philishave.

Good things:

1-No scratching
2-Even cut
3-It helps cutting the hidden parts. So much that my usual blind spots are surprisingly well cut, not needing correction from my wife.
4-So many degrees of cutting, range is very helpful, from less than 1mm to 30mm
5-Turning head--I thought I would not use it, but it helps a deal with the ear surroundings.
6-Very comfortable to hold
7-Washable.
8-No power loss from plug to wireless.(That was a surprise)

Bad Things:

1-It does not come with a bag? Quite bad.
2-The plug, it comes with the UK/Ireland triple plug. Not really a choice in most bathrooms.

Overall what I cared of is that the cutting experience and the handling are just perfect for my needs, I have weak hair on top but quite strong on the sides and back, so much that my previous clipper was getting stuck at times.
With this one the whole cutting experience was right from the first second, no need to check manuals or adapting to it.

The accessories are fine, so far I used the 3 to 15mm and 1 to 3mm. The first of them is just so smooth you have the feeling it is waxed, the second one is not that smooth but I guess it is kinda expected as it is fixed.

By that I mean all the heads do have "suspension" but the shortest one so the experience will be smoother for those needing a short but not extreme cut. The ones looking for a 1mm cutting, just be milder in your movements :)

So, the feeling is the "I'm a happy groomed camper" kind.

I give it 4 stars due to having an inconvenient plug and the lac of a bag to keep it all tidy up.

Good product indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic clippers, 4 Aug 2013
I've had two of these clippers and would recommended them to anyone looking at cutting their own hair (either presently or in the future). Easy maintenance and overall comfortable.
One thing to just be aware of is that the guards can sometimes break (hence my second pair), however it could have been down to me handling too harshly as I have short(er) hair e.g. 2mm haircut which these clippers can do perfectly.
After the first pair broke; I looked around for others - but I felt that no other clippers to match the awesomeness of what these clippers provide.
Philips 10/10 for this fantastic item!! I will be buying again.