on 15 March 2011
I've only had this a week now but so far am delighted with the build quality and performance.
As always, excellent delivery and aftersales service from Amazon and my thanks in particular to Fiona, Vikki and Alan there who responded to my queries on the spec.
As has already been written in an earlier review, advertised spec is the one point you need to watch and, as the staff above discovered, errors are due to the many variants of the 540 sharing the same product description notes, as provided by Samsung, on the site.
I purchased it noting a Pentium P6100 of 2.13Ghz - in my basket it became 2.00 Ghz,and today it just states Pentium P6100, though below, in spec, it still wrongly states 2.26Ghz and indeed later refers to its i3!! ....... let me assure you this model has a Pentium P6100 dual core of 2.0Ghz. If you want more you need a different model, but I see these run to over £1,000 .... I suppose it's a case of you get what you pay for and for what I need - primarily internet browsing,word/excel use and photo storage/printing this model more than copes. I am not a "gamer" so cannot comment on suitability there!
Also missing from the spec was that it has 3 USB ports for those wondering! Final plus points worth a mention are excellent screen quality, demonstrated by the sample HD video loaded, and it runs virtually silent!
Overall I am impressed enough to be now buying another for my partner and a third for our daughter! Unbeatable value - and trust me I looked long and hard before buying :)

Update: 2nd laptop received and still a happy customer :) No real difference, as you'd expect, other than I actually received a recovery disc with this one that I didn't get with the first!
77 comments|154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2011
I bought this laptop for my brother on a Wednesday and it came on the Thursday... Very fast delivery using the express service.. Item was well packaged and easy to set up. The laptop itself looks amazing. It has a silvery finish to it and although it gets a bit messy very easy it can be cleaned, so no complaints there. Setting it up is extremely easy. Just turn it on and it will take you through the rest. It will say to partition the hard drives. I chose 278gb for drive c and left 25 for d. The rest of the space is for all the pre-installed programs on the laptop which i easily removed. I put my own anti-virus on it with a lot of other free software from filehippo. Mcafee security just doesn't do the job in my opinion. The laptop comes with 3gb ram and a 2.00g processor unlike the one stated in the product. I did some checking and it turns out up to 8gb of ram can be installed on this laptop. Very good if you are looking to multi-task. The 3gb is more than enough for now, but in the future i will advise my brother to perhaps upgrade.

Overall a very good laptop, very fast, and not at all noisy, and best of all at a very good price. Programs i would recommend installing would be avira anti virus, malwarebytes anti malware, super anti spyware, zonealarm firewall and ccleaner, all of these programs are free and can be found at [...] I would recommend uninstalling some of the programs that where preinstalled, mostly games as they take up some needed space, and uninstalling mcafee as i have found out first hand that it is just not a very good anti-virus. Of course this is all up to you but these are just my recommendations for safe browsing and downloading. I hope you find this review helpful.
My in-laws - both in their eighties - wanted to upgrade their laptops and asked me to check some out for them. After comparing a number of contenders this R540 from Samsung seemed a really good deal - the price can vary though. I like the look of Samsung products, their TVs and phones are really stylish, and this laptop is no exception - it looks gorgeous with a silvery brown finish. However, it is what's inside that's important and although this model of the R540 doesn't have the Intel i3 processor that the more expensive versions do, its Pentium P6100 2.0 GHz will more than meet most user's needs.

It has 3GB of RAM which keeps the laptop performing nicely and a good sized hard drive at 320GB which can be partitioned at setup into a C and D drive for system files or data; I chose to leave the drive as one large C drive to make things easier for my in-laws when saving files! Take care when setting the partition as it can be done only once at setup - think about your requirements beforehand as leaving a single drive does not allow backups between drives, and having a large D drive may end up as wasted disc space!

Connecting to your wireless network is very easy if you have your key handy during setup as that is one of the options available. Setup itself is very straightforward, but allow yourself a couple of hours as there are a lot of Windows updates available once your software has installed itself! This laptop benefits from the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium which I find is a great operating system - fast and reliable. The laptop also has a built-in webcam and the speakers are not too bad - using headphones will sound much better though!

Amazons Product Description applies to all of the R540 range - not just this one - but is mostly accurate for this model and is worth reading through. McAfee is pre-installed but needs to be activated after a short period - I removed it and installed VIPRE anti-virus which I much prefer. I also installed TuneUp Utilities 2011 which is good maintenance software and recommended to keep your computer running well.

The Samsung R540 offers a good range of laptops with slightly different specs for different needs - this model offers a very good range of features at a competitive price and my in-laws are very well pleased with their new purchases - much better than their four year old HPs! Well built, well featured and good looking this laptop will suit many different users and will suit beginners and more experienced users alike.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2011
Brought one for the wife, it is absolutely superb. We checked all the laptops available and found that for value for money it had all the features we were looking for. Especially fast wifi as we run all the pc's etc in the house wireless.
Really liked the Samsung recovery feature which I recommend using after installing all your software, did a full back up on the 2nd partition and dvd discs (takes 5 discs and a couple of hours.) So if someone accidently deletes any system software you have a quick way of seting the laptop back to original settings etc.
I was so impressed that I brought one for myself.
Samsung do make good quality equipment and highly recommend it. Would liked to of seen one available for 32 bit as well as 64 bit, I have some old software that runs 32 bit bit but have managed to install that with the installed windows 7 using the old mode facility.
All in all it does everything that it says on the tin.
on 3 June 2011
Bought this Samsung to replace my very old Dell, which was so slow, I didn't get a computer until I was in my seventies, this was all set up for me, so getting a new one and setting it up myself was daunting, I should'nt have worried it was a doddle to set up, I love the look of it, and the keyboard layout, the touchpad is very posative,and the features are easy to use, My old computer was Windows XP, and I found 7 much better, so very satisfied with this purchase.
on 6 June 2011
My 6 year old Sony laptop died and so a new one was required. I already had a Samsung phone and TV, so decided to make it a Samsung notebook. So far, and this is after about 3 weeks steady use, I am pleased with it in every respect, with the one negative surprise of finding it did not have Bluetooth installed. But this is minor, with dongles so cheap.
It is (to my eye) beautifully designed and made; it is fast, has good and easily understood recovery and backup systems.
The delivery etc, as almost always with Amazon, was faultless.
on 15 March 2011
This laptop serves our family well, for fast internet browsing, very good webcam, and overall performance. Our first laptop so cant compare it that much however I must say it is extremely quiet. Even has a special quiet mode. On the whole, if your looking for a very good laptop this is great.
on 5 July 2011
I was a little disappointed with the graphics card the Intel GMA HD. This laptop is an upgrade from my 4 year old Samsung R20 plus laptop, which had a built in ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 series. A laptop which cost me almost a similar price to this new upgrade. Now i'm a huge fan of The Sims 3 and having checked the specs I knew it would run smoothly on this brand new laptop. Which I can clearly state runs smoothly as a nut on this new laptop. However the problem is the Intel GMA HD card doesn't support anti-aliasing, however my old graphics card in the Samsung R20 did. Which means even on all the high settings in the game, objects and Sims appear with jaggy rough edges whilst in gameplay. Having read up on technical sites, it's not possible to upgrade the graphics card that comes with this laptop.

So I will just have to live with the rough jaggy edges, however this is a very minor issue I have with the laptop and for most won't be an issue in buying this sleek looking machine. However while it will run games a couple of years old, expect to have rough edges when playing 3D games.
on 26 May 2011
Okay, it's not an excellent machine, and spec wise, you get what you're given.

Nonetheless, for the price it's a nice looking, well fitted out machine which will do pretty much what you ask of it, if what you ask is portable web-browsing and standard office work. It's not going to play games, but it will play your music and your videos. You youtube? No worries, you want to whack together a doc or a spreadsheet or a powerpoint? No worries. It's got ample ram to keep things snappy, the disk could be a little bigger, but it does the job.

Good build quality too.

Highly recommended for those looking for a cheap out-of-office laptop that does the business, or for those that want to get away from their desktop,

No complaints about the screen, it's what you'd expect from an item at this price.

Good all-rounder at a decent price.
on 12 June 2011
I ordered this laptop for my wife and Amazon delivered with in 1-2 days from UK to Germany! For the price this laptop is hard to beat. Runs straight out of the box and will do for any normal home / office laptop requirement.

Only problem is the touchpad which is over sensitive and gets jammed and moves by itself even though your fingers are no where near it. This laptop would have got 5 if not for that annoying issue.

Otherwise great laptop and recommend for most home / office users.