1,344 of 1,358 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars More fitness magic on the Wii!
The Wii has long been an exercise tool in our household. We've had various Dance games, not to mention the ubiquitous Wii Fit (which even inspired us to join our local gym!), but variety is the spice of life, and is certainly helpful if you are trying to keep your keep-fit regime interesting.

So, ordering Zumba was a bit of a no-brainer for me. It looked a bit...
Published on 1 April 2011 by Macintyre's Speculum

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit let down
Published on 11 April 2011 by kelly

1,344 of 1,358 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars More fitness magic on the Wii!, 1 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory (Video Game)

So, ordering Zumba was a bit of a no-brainer for me. It looked a bit like Just Dance from the promo videos, which was an encouraging sign, and Zumba itself came highly recommended, so what would it be like for me, a Zumba novice to do?

Well initial findings are very encouraging. It gave me one of the best workouts I have had in ages. I was still sweating after I had had my shower! But it was amazing fun though too. I went with the tutorials first, as I had never done Zumba before. Being a Zumba virgin, I found it difficult to follow the onscreen characters, and I felt a bit of a headless chicken. However, I soon realised that Zumba Wii rewards enthusiasm more than technical expertise. As a result I relaxed a bit and just enjoyed it.

I'm sure in a couple of weeks I will be doing it like a pro, or at least not doing it like an idiot. But thats the beauty of all Wii fitness programs: you can close the curtains!

The belt was functional, but so was my pocket, to be honest. If I lose the belt I won't lose any sleep over it. Provided your waist isn't over 50 inches wide you will be fine with it.

One other thing, make sure you have plenty of room when you do your routines, as you won't be staying in the same spot all the time....

Michael Macintyre did a routine about Wii fitness games, saying you soon realise that you can just as easily perform them by laying on the sofa and waggling your wrist. While this is true, it kind of defeats the object. Zumba is a keep fit tool, and from my early experiences, a very good one at that. It is not a pro Zumba instructor though. If you want do Zumba well, I would definately supplement this with proper Zumba training. If you already do the training you will love this though, as it allows you to practice at home. If, like me, you are new to Zumba, and are just looking for an interesting way to keep fit, then this is also ideal. Yes you can just sit on the sofa and waggle the remote, but the only person you are fooling is yourself!

With regards to how comprehensive this is as a Zumba product, I guess only a Zumba expert would be able to tell you that. However, you do get a wide variety of options:

Tutorials:

- Calypso (Basic)
- Calypso (Single Single Double Pump)
- Calypso (Basic with a Travel)
- Cumbia (Basic)
- Cumbia (Machete Step)
- Cumbia (Sleepy Leg)
- Merengue (March)
- Merengue (Que Te Mueve)
- Merengue (Pump)
- Reggaeton
- Reggaeton (Bounce)
- Reggaeton (Single Single Double Basic)
- Salsa (Travel)
- Salsa (Forward and Back)
- Salsa (Cuban)

- Expert 45 minute Class 3
- Expert 45 minute Class 4
- Expert 45 minute Class 5
- Zumbathon

So, from a novice's point of view, there is plenty to keep me coming back for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Like Going to a Zumba Class Then You'll Love This!!!, 4 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I waited and waited for 2 months for the Wii Zumba Fitness, but it was well worth the wait. I have been to Zumba classes in the past and found them great fun, and it's no different to playing it in your front room. It's easy to set up and you have different lengths of workout routines, along with easy, medium or hard. You are also sent a belt which has a pouch to put your Wii remote in (the remote should be on your hip when you put the belt on). I started with a medium and I recognised the routines straight away from the classes. I had to stop going to Zumba as I joined a gym and couldn't afford to do both, which was a real shame as I loved going to the classes, but this is a fantastic alternative, and you will feel like you've had a work out by the end of it...but you'll probably have a smile on your face aswell. The best fun I have had on my Wii in ages!!!!1

5.0 out of 5 stars Zumtastic!!, 1 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have recently been attending zumba classes but wanted to be able to do it at home as well especially when i couldn't attend.
OMG! this game is fantastic! I worked up a sweat and felt like i had done something! just as good as the real class!
OK so may lack in the same atmosphere but that can be fixed with some loud music and good friend! my mum was loving following behind me as was my 4yr old daughter!!
I m a happy girl because now everyday can be zumba day! and i intend to make sure it is :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 22 Jun. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Zumba for the Wii is a great little game... I used to do various classes and gym work 4 or 5 times a week, but due to a back injury, cancelled any gym subscriptions i had, a few years ago. I have missed my exercise, and have tried various ways of trying to get back into it and nothing has held my interest....untill Zumba Fitness for the Wii.

I have read various reviews, where people are disappointed in the graphics etc, but when you use the Wii for anything, you should not be relying on graphics, but on the whole concept of interacting with the game. I agree that to navigate round the menus is a bit confusing, but once you are in a routine of using it all the time, then it is easy enough.

I try and do a 20 minute class every night after work and then a 45 minute one on a saturday or a sunday, and i have to say, i have noticed a difference.. wobbly bits do not seem that wobbly anymore and you feel great after as you have worked up a sweat and actually feel as though you have done a workout. I started off on the beginner classes, and progressed to Intermediate, (i am still building myself up to do expert!!)

At first, the moves can seem fast and difficult, but like any aerobics class you would go to at a gym, the more you do it, the more simple they become and you dont have to be precise...just do what you can, as long as you are moving, you are still working out! You can get the moves wrong, in the comfort of your own living room, without feeling embarrassed in a room full of people. You are scored on how much energy you use, and how well you mirror the moves, so there is an incentive to better your score each time and put more energy into it...but if one day you dont feel like putting too much energy in, it doesnt matter, as this is just a personal score and doesnt mean anything!!

I am disappointed that you cant buy "cheap" 2nd Zumba Belts for the times when you may want to do it with friends... but i am sure in time, these will be available for a fraction of what they cost now.

I have also noticed that my batteries in my wii controller go down quite quickly as i do it more or less everyday, but it is well worth the price of a couple of AA bateries every few weeks, to have the ease of doing this in the comfort of your own home.

I have recommended this to friends who are struggling to find the inspiration to go to a gym, or just cant afford to attend classes etc... I have certainly got my moneys worth out of it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Better Than 'Just Dance' - Equally as Enjoyable, 19 April 2011
Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This fitness game covers all levels from Beginner to Expert, and it does help if you have done dance classes before (not necessarily Zumba, but any style of dance). However if you are not used to exercising and perhaps have never danced before I would probably recommend Wii Fit Plus with the balance board, rather than Zumba Fitness because you may find the Zumba moves even at the beginners level too challenging. I know this because I have previous tap/modern/ballet dance experience and I picked it up incredibly easily. However my mum who has never danced before and doesn't do any exercise (besides housework and walking the dog!), found it too difficult and just gave up. She said she was really disappointed she couldn't do it, but she just didn't enjoy it because she found it too difficult. However she does enjoy listening to the music when I am exercising! The Zumba music is great!

This actually works better than the Wii game 'Just Dance'. It is more accurate. If you've got Just Dance you will know what I mean. You could be doing the move exactly right and it says you are only doing it 'ok' rather than 'great', and it is based on points so obviously the more 'great's' you get, the more points you get, and if it's not accurate you are not getting an accurate score. With Zumba Fitness, the instructor's comments are more appropriate and accurate. He or She says 'Keep going' if you're slacking, or 'great! You've got it!', which encourages you to work even harder and burn more calories! At the end of the Zumba Party or Zumba Class it will give you an overall score. I don't really find having a score relevant for just one player, but if you've got two or more players, you may want to compete against each other.

What baffles me about Zumba (and 'Just Dance' for that matter) is why they have made the dance instructors almost psychedelic to look at. Couldn't they have just used normal looking instructors like on the Wii Fit, or even better, a real person? Maybe that is something we have to look forward to on the Wii 2 console with better graphics due out next year.

You are provided with a Zumba belt where you slot the Wii mote in the front. It often slips up whilst you are exercising which is a minor glitch but it doesn't really bother me that much. I just pull it back down and tighten it a bit more so it won't slip.

All in all, it covers a variety of dance styles, however my favourite part has to be the 'Cool Down' Belly Dance for obvious reasons! By the end of the workout I am completely out of breath, and am really sweating so I welcome the 'cool down' at the end, plus the music is great!

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit let down, 11 April 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have enjoyed playing the game however I did feel the tutorial was not as east to follow, it starts off slow which is great for beginners like myself, however when it speeds up and new steps are added it becomes difficult to follow I felt as though I was just jumping around unable to follow the steps. Overall though when you get into it and learn the steps it is a great laugh especially when playing with a few friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zumba :), 1 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Well I just got my zumba pack through the post and slammed it on straight away. As a girl trying to lose weight for her wedding a fun way I was looking for anything that will shift the pounds.

I did 15 mins of medium dance and wow!!! I felt it! Sweat was pouring off me like no gym workout ever has before. I presume this is a good thing. Lots of times after I have worked out I havent really felt like it did much but after 20 mins fo this I was gasping for water and really felt good. I also wanted to do some more!!!! Who would have thought it!

The cons of the game are the workout calendar which is hard to navigate but other than that its all good. You can shut up the sound fx and the intrsutor and just have music if you want :)
I would suggest you buy it and just get lost in the music and moves!

Jasmin Haigh
Liverpool

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to exercise in your front room, 10 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I don't often write reviews for things I buy on Amazon, however I treated myself to this and tried it for the first time yesterday. I wasn't disappointed. Easy to follow tutorial and the classes are great fun too. I was amazed at how much hard work it was, I was sweating like mad after a 20 minute workout. During the warm up I was thinking "this is the warm up, oh my god!".
It's not about accuracy it's about enthusiasm and whilst you get points for "accuracy" I don't care about the points, I'm in it to get fit and loose weight.

Give it a try, don't listen to the negative reviews on here, it's a brilliant fitness aid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition, 29 Jun. 2011
Jessica Green "Tillykins" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm on a bit of a mission to lose a lot of weight at the moment. I don't have the money to afford to go to classes or a gym so i'm trying to get a collection going at home. I went to one zumba class last year and hated it. The instructor wasn't very good and being new to fitness I felt very self confident. But after lots of friend continuing to rave about zumba I wanted to give it another try. Then I saw this in my local supermarket.

It comes with a belt to hold the wii remote which is good and i was worried being a size 18 that it wouldn't fit around me but it does.

The set up on the game is basic. There is a slot to add your name, there is a tutorial section which explains aspects of the game and shows you some basic zumba moves. There are classes which vary in intensity and length. There is also zumba party which to me I think are the same as the classes but i've only tried a couple. There is also a multi-player element which i think is great and could be hilarious for a girls night in!!!

The first time I did this I looked like a raving crazy person!! i found it difficult to move my feet quick enough and catch up with the moves. But after a couple of goes you get to learn the steps. I found it a great workout and it had me in a good sweat.

The lady on the screen that you copy is kind of like a heat sensor person. She is red if you aren't doing it properly, orange/yellow if you are getting there and green if you are moving in time. I can kind of see why they have done this but personally I would prefer a real person as the heat sensor lady is sometimes hard to see what her feet are doing when she moves quickly.

But all in all i really like it and it means I can zumba looking like an idiot in the comfort of my own home and get a good workout!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fun! I can't stop!, 4 Jun. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I joined zumba recently and after my first class I was hooked, so I started to look on the internet to what was on offer to do at home!

I looked at various zumba fitness DVDs but I've never been a fan of fitness DVD's (something about the way they encourage you and how they look just makes me feel bad about myself...)

So I read a few reviews of zumba for wii, after umming and aahhing over it I decided to take the plunge and buy it.

When I heard the doorbell ring at 8 o'clock this morning I was out of bed like a shot knowing that was my package. I couldn't wait to get started!

The set up of the game is simple, create your profile and you're off! I started off with a beginner 20 minute class and was already breaking a sweat 5 minutes in!

As a dancer, I pick up movements quite quickly, so I have no problem following the little figure on screen, however someone who is slightly less coordinated might feel they'd struggle BUT don't worry! This game recognizes your effort, and to be honest, who cares if you can't catch on straight away? You're in the comfort of your own home and as long as you're having fun, that's all that matters!

I would recommend this game to everyone, especially if they enjoy dancercise. It gets your heart beating, your body moving, your hips swaying. It's great.

And it's for all ages! Kids will love the bright colours and cheerful music, adults will love the keep fit benefits while having fun. My mum (aged 55) will even join in!

If, like me, you're umming about getting this game, I'd definitely say...

GO FOR IT!

Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory by Majesco Entertainment/ 505 Games (Nintendo Wii)