5.0 out of 5 stars Dune
Very pleased with this. It replaces on old video cassette version, which was recorded off-air in the UK about 20 years ago! Picture and audio quality were just fine. Also, the product was received in within the quoted time-frame. Thank you Amazon and Scorpion movies
Published 21 months ago by Skopeloscot

1.0 out of 5 stars Abyssmal
For those of you looking for the Director's Cut of Dune, I can tell you that this is NOT it. This is the infamous Alan Smithee version, which is reviewed in depth elsewhere.

Published 19 months ago by Captain Lucy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Abyssmal, 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dune Extended Edition (1984) Kyle MacLachlan, Virginia Madsen DVD (DVD)

Suffice to say, David Lynch had his name taken off this for a reason. That reason being that whoever got their hands on this movie and added in the awful narrative voice-overs that belong more in a 1960's Disney documentary did the same job on Dune as the annoying man who sits beside you at a comedy show explaining all the jokes. There are some extended scenes and some scenes that didn't make the original cinematic cut, but on the whole it's not worth sitting through the hatchet job done on this to get to the new bits.

Avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only buy this if you want a few voice-over commentaries - and not even by "Irulan" unfortunately, 28 Aug. 2014
I love the books and the original movie. The extras in this extended edition are mostly a few voice-over commentaries that illuminate (though not necessarily needed) the story a little more. You won't miss anything much by being without this extended edition but I bough it anyway as I'd no idea at the time what the additional material was. In fact, it's not necesary at all unless you just want to have it. It tends to break up the original good editing, and can be irritating. Fortunately there's not too much of it.

I would rate the original movie 5 stars, no question, as it is simply brilliantly done. These commentaries are unnecessary (I can't see that even someone who had never read the book would need them, although the bits of info may be appreciated by those new to the story, I can't say.) But worse, the big fault, which drops this version to 3 stars (and I was tempted to make it 4 but couldn't quite bring myself to do so) is that the voice-over commentaries should have been made by the Princess Irulan, who writes the history of the Empire of that time and is frequently quoted in the original books. It made no sense at all that the commentaries for this movie were made by some man whose voice is nothing special anyway so rather downgrades the movie.

I simply can't understand why anyone who has read the book would choose a man to make these comments. It's plain irritating.

An aside on that, I once heard the writer reading from his story. I have to say that this was a really huge disappointment. We in the UK would see the name as DYUNE, whilst he pronounced it, of course, in his American way, as DOON. Where's this DOON, I kept saying during the recording I was hearing? We have a DOON in English literature - Lorna Doone. I've rarely ever found a writer's reading of his or her own work really impressive. It always seems to jar on me, I suppose because we readers have our own idea of how everything sounds.

So I wondered who had added these commentaries and whether his reading was really approved by others who loved the books and why he wasn't told to find a woman to do it? Sorry about that but it does spoil the version for me.

If there are any other pieces added that were not in the original, I didn't notice them - not saying there aren't any - so I can't comment on that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the extension, 16 Dec. 2011
I am a huge fan of the original release cinema version of Dune. I have watched it tens of times and never tire of its atmospheric and poetic effect. When you can recite almost every line in the film while viewing it I suppose it is going to be difficult to watch another version in which extra scenes and dialogue have been needlessly inserted. I had hoped this extended version would give me the movie plus something extra but in fact it seems to take away the flow and fine editing of the original. The voice-over Prologue is a needless addition and the male voiceover that runs through the film just gets in the way, without adding anything. The film doesn't benefit from more "explanation" - for more depth you would read the book - and the music and language of the original do enough to give you the message. My advice is to stick to the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dune, 1 Aug. 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 20 Nov. 2014
Not the best recording or the ONE I thought it would be! Lets hope that with 2015 being the 50th anniversary of the book, Universal studios might cut together the original David Lynch Version of the film!! All 4 hours of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last it makes more sense, 26 Mar. 2013
The DVD arrived in excellent condition. I was not expecting it to be a copy from Thailand but that apart it worked perfectly in my multi-region player and the film was excellent.Well as excellent as it ever was!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Much More Sense, 10 Aug. 2011
Chris Morse "faraway_pictures" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Not only does this add almost 45 extra minutes, it also removes a couple of scenes that I was never really happy with. Notably for me are 2 scenes that were not in the book; the Baron wanting to spit on lady Jessica and also the spulling of the heart plug and the introduction of scenes that are a lot more sensible (Keines spiitting in welcome).
What you have left is a superb film. I don't think anyone realised just what a great job David Lynch had done to produce a single movie from the Novel until the mini series tried it as well over 4hours.
Now the movie is just under 3 hours, feels cleaner, sharper with more pinpoint sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel to a fabulous film, 12 Mar. 2015
I can't say much other than this is an excellent film, made and crafted remarkably well. I only wish we could see anothe sequel where Leto 2 is covered in the sandworms. But it won't ever happen :(.

5.0 out of 5 stars more sci-fi!!, 16 April 2011
my husband is a huge sci-fi fan, while i prefer more worldly crime thrillers, however I love the sound track to this film but found the plot to the original release somewhat confusing. The extended edition expands the plot and has increased my understanding of the film; it is a much more enjoyable story and as the sound track is still fab, it is a welcome addition to the ever expanding sci-fi collection!

1.0 out of 5 stars The quality is extremely poor., 31 Oct. 2014
This appears to be a bootleg, ripped from a VHS, old unapproved Alan Smithee cut, not the proper full length David Lynch cut. The quality is extremely poor.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›