on 22 June 1997
I read this book in the summer of 1996. This book
was a life turning point for me. My life was falling apart. My husband left me and my 6 & 7 year old girls were very insecure. I read this book and DID ALL the exersises suggested. My husband has returned and if any one thing attributed to my new healthy life, it was this book. Thank you Dr. Branden for saving my life.
on 16 November 2003
After reading just 4 chapters of this book, i have come to look at myself differently as a person. Not only is this an interesting read psycologically but the exercises employed by nathanial are clever devices for changing and "accepting" the way you think. I strongly recommend this to anyone looking for ways to change their negative thought patterns.
on 16 February 2003
I bought this book with a limited understanding of self-esteem, but enough to know I was lacking in it...Now I realise just how limited my understanding of myself was...I've never looked back. This book teaches you to accept yourself, your past and all your strengths and weaknesses with a view to becoming more self-confident, assertive, positive and living with much greater responsibility for your own life and what you do/achieve with it. It takes no time to read and work through, but the benefits to yourself are almost immediate. This book provides the tools and thought processes *all* people should live with.
My advice, buy it. Read it. Digest it. Live it.
11 comment|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2000
Generally, i don't like "how to..." or "10 ways to..." books. But i think this book is different. It contains psychologycal issues and useful exercises inside. Before starting to read this book, be ready for the journey to deeper yourself. Mr.Branden leads you to discover your inner child, to live more consciously and to raise your self respect and self confidence. I have read many self help books before. But this is different. If you want to discover your inner child, to learn how to raise your self-esteem level and behave with more self-confidence, don't wait and buy this book.
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 1999
I bought this book for my fiance who has a low self esteem. But since she has read this book I have noticed a major change in her. She now holds her head up high puts her shoulders back and is ready to face the world.
on 16 June 2004
I think this book may be good for specific problems - eg if you've suffered abuse or been the abuser yourself even.
I didn't find it enlightening personally.
If you feel this way - that you feel a general pall over your life - a sense of low self-esteem and you can't put your finger on why specifically - then you may be an HSP like me. I highly recommend 'The Highly Sensitive Person' by Elaine N. Aron - it answered so many questions for me of why I think like I do, living in a non-HSP oriented world, and now I know what I am. It justified so many things in my life like my creativity and strong imagination. It boosted my self-esteem hugely because we all like to have definitions of ourselves - and now I know so much more about me! You may be a HSP if you feel a bit like life's a struggle.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 1998
Before reading this book and doing the excercises, I was a mess. I had severe depression and didn't have a job. I couldn't cope with people and their abuse. My self esteem was so low, that I could't return something to the store that I didn't like. I tried seeing psychologists but my parents could't afford their bills. Then I found this book and started working about 10 minutes a day on the excercises. I felt stronger and increased the work load to 6 to 8 hours a day. I pulled myself out of the depression and feel very strong and confident. Thank you so much Dr. Branden for writing this book.
on 26 June 1998
There's no such thing as having TOO MUCH self-esteem; that's like having TOO MUCH health. And this book will help you achieve more of it; more self-esteem means more confidence in yourself--in your career, in your relationships, in your dreams. For anyone who is enjoying life, and is always self-confident, I recommend this book, because it will help you achieve MORE out of life--spiritually, emotionally, vocationally, and socially. For someone who is having an emotionally tough time, BUY THE BOOK NOW--EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO USE UP THE LAST $10.00 ON YOUR CREDIT CARD.
on 16 November 2000
A short, clear, useful, and practical guide to raising your self-esteem. I don't think it's possible to read this without feeling better about yourself. Some of the most sensible advice I've read in years. Everyone should read this book. It's superb value, too.
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2004
Because of the size and look of this little book, I didn't expect much. But I was proven wrong. :-)
This is the best book I have ever read about raising the self-esteem, and the exercises really changed my behaviour and the way I think about myself and about the people around me. It fit whatever level or state you're at, which makes it useful for a development or a longer period of time.
This little book has made me accept my feelings (negative as well as positive) and past actions. I am much more relaxed and confident, and I am a lot better at recognizing the exact values, goals and desires important to me…
I know it sounds unbelievable, but why should a girl from Denmark cross the psychological boarders and write in English if it wasn’t because of my huge gratefulness to Nathaniel Branden?!?
Thanks!!! :-)))