4.0 out of 5 stars Cameron plays it for thrills
The last time I reviewed one of Cameron's books I detected a profound change in style. The first two Tyrant books were quite serious, deep and weighty. Making a pretty serious effort to recreate ancient Greek society and attitudes. As a result they felt like going back in time but were also a tad slow.
'Killer of men' and Tyrant 3 saw a switch to a more light weight...
Published on 14 April 2011 by Mr. A. I. Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars A great read with a few flaws
Published on 20 Mar 2011 by JPS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A great read with a few flaws, 20 Mar 2011
JPS - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought and read this book as soon as it was available and as fast as possible, being a fan of Christian Cameron's historical novels. However, I've hesitated before commenting on it for a couple of months, because I was a bit disappointed. This book has many of the usual ingredients, mentioned already by previous commentators (see "Parmenion", in particular), and I see no need to paraphrase others. Because of these, it is still an excellent read. There are, however, a couple of items which almost spoilt it for me:
- the story of a couple of teen-age twins that manage, almost single handed, to rally support, reconquer their parents' kingdom and defeat all their ennemies is hardly credible. In particular, having Satyrus turning out into a seasoned and talented admiral is a bit much, even if it follows a previous defeat... At times, the book sounds like an adventure story for teenagers, rather than the well-researched and well-written books that ameron had accustomed us to.
- another little issue is the author's tendency to kill of a high number of his secondary characters at the end of some of his novels, which reaches new highs in this one. Seeming aware of this, Cameron seems to try to justify it in his author's note by mentioning that lots of people tended to get killed in battles! It looks like he got tired of some of his characters and chose the easy way out to get rid of them.
Overall, a great read, well above average, but a couple of notches below the first two books with Kineas. Might be time to put an end to this series and focus on the new one around the battle of Marathon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cameron plays it for thrills, 14 April 2011
'Killer of men' and Tyrant 3 saw a switch to a more light weight but thrill a minute type of novel. Generally they are easier reading but I find myself missing the detail and at more of an emotional arms length away from the lead characters.

This was particularly so in this episode which felt a bit rushed to me and both Satyrus and Melitta much too good to be true. It put me in mind of early Wilbur Smith.

Having got the grumbling out of the way I should also point out that I love early Wilbur Smith and so really enjoyed this fast moving and action packed tale. This included plenty of epic battles both on land and at sea in amongst some more 'back alley' skirmishes and daring escapes as the twins back a determined effort to win back their Kingdome and exact a bit of revenge on those who have crossed them.

I think had I not known what the author is capable of I would be able to take the book at face value and would be sounding a bit more positive but it just seems a bit like watching Eddie Izzard telling a series of knock knock jokes! You know he can do better.

However despite this I could not bring myself to give the book a 3 star rating because it is very readable and Camerons inclination to kill people off keeps you very much on your reading toes!

In summary a fast moving and exciting book from a very talented author but I feel he has maybe lost something in his efforts to be more mainstream and have mass appeal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Author, 6 Feb 2011
Mr. Ray. Brown (Arbroath Scotland) - See all my reviews
I Have read the 4 books in the Tyrant series and cannot find the time to put each book down,
I am Hungrily awaiting the next in the series,
This is a part of history that is more hearsay than fact but it does not detract from a brilliant story,
Christian Cameron is a serious challenger to Conn Iggulden & Bernard Cornwell.

Plato

4.0 out of 5 stars King Of The Bosporus - King of The Historical Novelists?, 20 May 2011
I am going to base this review on the 4 books so far in the tyrant series rather than this 1 book.

A few weeks back I bought, Killer of Men and loved it, so I went and then purchased the Full Tyrant series. I was not disappointed, it's a fantastic series of books. I highly recommend it.

So why did i only give it 4 stars?

It would have been 4.5 if that was possible, but I am dropping 1 star because there are 2 slight problems with the series.

The first is that there are several story/plot lines that start and don't get developed, This could well be because they are going to get developed later.

The 2nd is a problem I defended in my Killer of Men review,so I feel a bit hypocritical, the vast number of characters and characters with similar names. Even now after 4 books in the series I still have to pause when Eumenes/Eumeles appear to work out if i should be cheering or booing! I really don't think i've read any books with so many characters. The books take you along at such a great pace that it's not always possible to absorb the characters names, and then 300 page further on you think, i recognize that name, who the hell is it!

I realize that a lot of this will be down to the fact that many characters are based on real people,

On the other hand i love the way that minor characters from the previous books pop up again.

Christian, If you read this please add a list of characters to the back of the book, oh and why you are at it any chance of better maps ;) (btw to do get a bonus every time you mention Hubris? :) )

So to wrap up, it's a great series of books and i would recommended it to anyone who like historical novels

Christian Cameron follows in the footsteps of people like Conn Iggulden and Simon Scarrow, if you like their series you'll love this series but be prepared to invest a few more brain cells in it

Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent story, 27 Mar 2011
Hard to believe that part four in a series is as good as the first three parts.
Well, Christian Cameron did it. This book was as thrilling as the first three in this series.
I'm hoping for a fifth book or else a sequal to "Killer of men".
I'll be the first to buy them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 4 Feb 2011
Yet another 'page turner'. When I started reading this book I could hardly bear to put it down and when I did reach the end I was left wanting to read the next installment of the story.

It continues the story of the twins whose parents were killed when they were young (they are now just twenty) and follows their efforts to regain their birthfight. Set in 310 BC, not long after the death of Alexandra the Great, the detail of daily life, religious belief, waging of absolute war are woven together in a tale that leaves the reader 'wanting more'.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great panorama of a period, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Tyrant: King of the Bosporus (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant characterisation, love these books, the maps could be better and could have modern day names as well. But on to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars TYrant King of the Bosporus, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Tyrant: King of the Bosporus (Kindle Edition)
Christian Cameron has done it again. Another thrilling excursion into ancient history with believable characters and accurate detail. Intend to read all his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical bodice ripper for boys, 29 Mar 2014
Love Christian Cameron's books, and the gungho approach and derringer do are so well written the story flows along without a hitch. Larger than life, vigorous and loveable protagonists fill the pages and give excellent value for a night of self indulgence. Bloke's answer to a box of chocolates.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow on to the saga so far., 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tyrant: King of the Bosporus (Kindle Edition)
As with the preceding volumes, this was another book that kept one's attention from cover to cover.
Can't wait for the next one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›