5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Hour start of a gripping series.
I work in a library and a girl came in asking for this book, after searching for a while on the shelf, and her telling me she really wanted it to read because she had been told it was amazing, we found it, but it made me curious to find out what all the fuss was about and i wasn't disappointed.

The story has a really good plot line and keeps you hooked...
Published on 12 Mar 2007 by Barmy_Bex

3.0 out of 5 stars Im not sure what to make of this book
I like the whole premise of the 25th hour, I wouldn't have thought of it and I kinda wish I had, so there. Scott Westerfeld wins right there. Now. He shouldn't have named his characters something as epic as "Midnighters" if he wasn't going to deliver the epicness, which, if you ask me, he didn't. They do NOTHING. Until Jessica arrives, sure, but I don't really like her,...
Published on 26 Sep 2010 by Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Hour start of a gripping series., 12 Mar 2007

The story has a really good plot line and keeps you hooked throughout, the idea of a secret hour in the day when time freezes and only those born at midnight can see it is an excellent idea and works really well, you can really connect with the characters and feel your heart racing for them at points in the story where things get a bit hairy!

Scott Westerfeld has created a terrific series and after reading this one, you will be begging for more, which you can get from teh other two in the series, 'Touching Darkness' and 'Blue Noon'.

I highly recommend these books, they are truly grippping reads that will grab you and maintain the magic no matter how many times you read them.

so go on, try it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Oct 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Jessica Day has just moved to Bixby, Oklahoma from Chicago with her family. Still trying to find her niche in the local highschool, she's noticed by a group of students who are very different from your average teens. Not to mention that her dreams at night are becoming very, very vivid--such as the fact that for one hour at midnight, time seems to literally stand still.

Such is the life of the Midnighters, a group of teens who were born at midnight and have the ability to see the "blue time", the twenty-fifth hour of the day where time stands still for everyone else. Each of the group has a special power, both in and out of the blue time--Rex is a Seer, Dess is a Polymath, Melissa is a Mindcaster, and Jonathan is an Acrobat.

Jess is, of course, skeptical at first that time is actually standing still, and that her new rag-tag group of friends has special powers. But soon unmistakeable proof arises that the arrival of Jessica Day in Bixby is causing change--the creatures of the blue time are becoming dangerous and seem to want her dead.

Jess needs to find out her own special power before something bad happens to the town and it's midnight inhabitants. As the group struggle to keep the night creatures away, it's up to Jess to discover which power she possesses that's making everyone so nervous.

I LOVED this book! A totally original concept, Scott Westerfeld has created a series with truly interesting characters and crystal-clear visualization. I can't wait to read the next book in the series, to see where the Midnighters go from here.

Definitely a recommended read!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling story even if it has a lot of snakes, 17 Nov 2010
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Written in 3rd person narrative but mainly focalized from Jessica's point of view. She is 15/16 and just moved to a new town due to her mums job. This isn't just any town. Jessica starts having strange dreams as soon as she gets there.

The other Midnighters recognize that she has the aura of a Midnighter before she does. The story actually reminded me a lot of The Power of Five by Anthony Horowitz which also features teenagers with special abilities fighting an ancient evil.

The only way you can become a Midnighter is if you are born at exactly Midnight (The Midnighters), the evil can only exist in a single hour starting at midnight but compressed down to a single moment in real time. Only The Midnighters are able to access this Secret Hour.

The story follows Jess as she comes to terms with being a Midnighter and discovering her special power. All the while being hunted by the Darklings (the ancient evil that used to rule the world). Throw in a budding romance with fellow Midnighter Jonathan, and you have a very compelling story.

For someone like myself that has a phobia of snakes, there are a lot of very detailed descriptions of snakes/slithers *shudders*. So that did actually dampen the story for me as I was trying very hard not to picture them within my imagination. It is certainly the stuff my nightmares are made of.

As to the other Midnighters the only 2 I actually liked were Dess and Jonathan. Dess seemed almost savant with here mathematical abilities. Melissa and Rex were not developed in depth but I have the feeling that they are pivotal to the ongoing plot. Something about their personalities and strange relationship really put me on edge. I have the feeling that there is a lot more to them than has been shown so far. Not all of it good. Hinted at within the narrative is the suspicion that they have their own agenda (especially Melissa) and are manipulating the other Midnighters.

Overall, a compelling story with some awesome superpowers but the amount of snakes really lowered my enjoyment of it. SORRY - as I always say reading is subjective and having a phobia about something certainly affects your enjoyment of a book when it contains lots of the thing you are scared of :( However, I am intrigued to discover the hidden agenda Melissa and Rex have, therefore will suppress my imagination to follow the story ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and gripping!, 25 Aug 2007
M. Ivanova "i_am_she_wolf" (London, uk) - See all my reviews
I discovered this book by accident, but I fell in love imediatly and wanted more! And thank God there were 2 more books!
I love the first one, this one, grips you from the beginning and never let's you go... If you lose concentration, you may not make it alive (which is more about heroes, not reader:))
Girl moves to small town where she is drown to strange crowd of goth looking teenagers, but not all as it seems, they are the good ones and trying to survive in the midnight blue hour when ancient things go bump and no technology works is a harsh reality of this odd group of outsiders, because they are the only ones moving in blue hour...

This book is amazing, just like the rest of trilogy!

4.0 out of 5 stars a good reas, 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Secret Hour: Midnighters: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
An interesting ideas well told. Worth a read. The secret midnight hour may not be a place I would want to go I am going to start book right now

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 8 April 2012
This review is from: The Secret Hour: Midnighters: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
Having read & loved another series of books by Scott Westerfeld (Uglies Series, check it out if you haven't read it!), I decided to see what else he had written.
I went into reading this book not really knowing anything about the plot, but I found it really imaginative and well written. It really kept me enthralled and I was eager to find out what happened and keep reading. I'm excited to get started on the second & third book!

4.0 out of 5 stars fab start to a series, 2 Aug 2010
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I really enjoyed this book.

The whole story was set up around a group of midnighters - people born at the stroke of midnight who get to experience the 25th hour of the day. I loved idea from the outset. The focus of this book is the discovery of a new midnighter - the new girl in school. This book was fast paced and action packed. Whilst readint it you got brief overviews of each of the characters involved and the whole world built up around them It was really creepy in a lot of places when the group were coming up against the creatures that lived in the midnight hour which played on people's nightmares and could can form. I loved the different relationships between the characters and would like to see how they develop. All the characters themselves were interesting by my favourite by far was Dess and her weird and wacky ways.

To have given the book 5 stars I would have liked a little more background on the characters and whole midnighters world as I already have lots of unanswered questions. Let's hope they are answered over the course of the series.

Fast paced, action packed and leaves you wanting for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Young Adult Series, 9 July 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Whilst this offering has been about for a bit, Atom have repacked this classic Young Adult offering and not only done a bang up job of it but made sure that the next generation of Young Adult readers has a real series that will not only blow their mind, but generate something really unique and special. Whilst this is the first part of the Midnighters series, the concept is pretty unique, the characters fully formed and backed up with a pretty good pace that very few will be able to equal. If you want something that really will blow your young adult readers mind, generate something pretty damn special in their imagination and help them fall in love with reading again, then you absolutely have to buy this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 7 Mar 2010
Tasha (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Moving to Bixby, Oklahoma makes Jessica feel like an outsider. Then, after a series of what she assumes to be bad dreams, she finds out just how unusual she really is.

In Bixby there is a secret hour. At midnight time freezes for an hour and the town belongs to the dark creatures.

Jess is a Midnighter, one of a small group of people who know about the secret hour, each with a special ability. Jessica doesn't know what her talent is and the group are keen to find out. The dark creatures know though. They're scared of whatever it is and determined to stop Jess from using it.

I was pretty much hooked on this book after just a few pages. I love Scott Westerfeld's writing - just the right amount of detail combined with some great action. There's good explanations of what the secret hour is all about without making it too complicated.

The characters are well developed and the relationships between them were totally believable. I liked that Jessica didn't just fit straight in and that there were issues between some of the other Midnighters.

I was left wanting more at the end of the book and fortunately I have "Touching Darkness" (the second in the series) sitting on my book shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., 18 Dec 2009
Strange things happen at midnight in the town of Bixby, Oklahoma. Time freezes. Nobody moves. For one secret hour each night, the town belongs to the dark creatures that haunt the shadows. Only a small group of people know about the secret hour - only they are free to move about the midnight time. These people call themselves Midnighters. Each one has a different power that is strongest at midnight: Seer, Mindcaster, Acrobat, Polymath. For years the Midnighters and the dark creatures have shared the secret hour, uneasily avoiding one another. All that changes when the new girl with an unmistakable midnight aura appears at Bixby High School. Jessica Day is not an outsider like the other Midnighters. She acts perfectly normal in every way. But it soon becomes clear that the dark creatures sense a hidden power in Jessica ...and they're determined to stop her before she can use it. (From Amazon.co.uk)

Before this, I had never read anything by Scott Westerfield. I had tentively passed Uglies in the bookshop, but never picked it up. I found this in the school library and asked my friends about it. One of them had read it and didn't like it that much. But me, being me, did not listen to this particular person, as she was a twihard. I was going to read Numbers but I really wasnt in the mood for something that edgy. Maybe I'll try again tonight...

I was instantly captivated. I really do see why Scott Westerfield is so famous (in the YA world)now. Midnighters is a original concept, and I immediatly fell in love with it. Westerfield's writing style is fantastic, easy to get into and addictive. The plot was fast and twisty, really enjoyable.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the ending. I need the sequel. Like, now. From the cover (ther UK cover, the above is the much nicer US) I was expecting something really cheesy and science-fictiony, but it was much better than I expected. I would go as for as to say that it is one of my favourite books.

You grew to love the characters. I could relate to Jessica, even though her character was a bit flat at times. I howver, have a problem with the army of red-headed heriones swarming the YA market. Red heads are rare. They were all very realistic, despite you know, having special powers and whatever. I can't decide whether Jonathan or Dess is my favourite character. I would absoltely love to be that smart at maths. I liked Mellisa, despite her bad moods. Truth be told, she was ind of like me. Yes, I am that weird...

In conclusion, I order you to go annd buy/borrow/whatever this book- it is absoltely amazing. It will keep you cnstantly on the edge of your seat. Has anyone else read it, is so, what's your thoughts?

The Secret Hour: Midnighters: Book 1