1,193 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Written Love Story
I've been a Jojo Moyes fan now for quite a few years, she is very talented and quite diverse in her writing. Every book has been different but engaging, satisfying reads and this, her lates is no except
Published on 6 July 2010 by Lincs Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected like....
Published on 30 Aug. 2010 by Read Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Written Love Story, 6 July 2010
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Starting with the modern-day Ellie - a struggling newspaper journalist who is in the middle of an affair with a married man and travelling back to 1960 to learn about Jennifer - both heroines, both stories are equally engaging, although Jennifer's story does make up the majority of the story.
When Ellie finds a letter in the newspaper's archive, it strikes a chord with her. The letter is from an unknown man who is begging his married lover to leave her husband. Ellie's own relationship is shaky to say the least and the letter intrigues her, she decides to investigate further - if nothing else, it could make a good story and keep Melissa, the domineering Features Editor off her back.
The story then goes back to 1960 where Jennifer is recovering from a mysterious car accident, she has memory loss and she too discovers a letter. This letter turns her world upside down, it appears that she has been having an affair - but who with, and where is he now?
The reader is then thrust into the story of Jennifer and her lover, Boot - a real old-fashioned love story that really tugs at the heart strings. The descriptions of Jennifer's glamorous life in the 1960s are wonderful and reminded me of the style and glamour of the likes of Jackie O, the clothes, the dinner parties, the music - the overbearing husband.
To say much more would be to say too much - but the story did evoke a lot of emotions, with a lump firmly stuck in my throat by the end.
Once again, Jojo Moyes had delivered the goods - a wonderful read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Idea, 30 April 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am not a huge fan of the romance genre, but I had heard good things about this book and decided to give it a go. I was impressed. It was well written, page turning and full of good, believable characters. I thoroughly enjoyed the story about Jennifer and Boot, both of whom I warmed to, and the conceit of the letters as the framework for the book worked really well. The only weak point for me was the modern day story of Ellie, which although necessary as a vehicle for telling the story of the past, seemed somehow weaker and more unsatisfactory. I loved the letters from real people that divided the different sections of the book too. I will definitely be reading more by Jo Jo Moyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book..., 6 Aug. 2010
The Little Bookworm "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book took my breath away. Not only is the cover absolutely beautiful, so is the story. Moyes cleverly mixes modern-day Ellie with 1960's Jennifer. Their stories intertwine in a way you just cannot imagine.

We follow Jennifer on an emotional journey, of love and fate. At times I laughed, at times I cried and at times I gasped aloud. I constantly had a lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach, wondering where we were going to be going next. I felt honoured, as the reader, to be a allowed to read what seemed to be a very private story.

The book is interspersed with emails, letters and texts from real people. These add a lovely element to the book.

This is now one of my favourite books. I couldn't put it down and I read it in 2 days. A brilliantly written book which I defy anyone not to like.

3.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected like...., 30 Aug. 2010
Read Me (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I like the simple idea behind this book - love letters can change your life. Thats it; no more analysing text messages, agonising over emails, is that a friendly x or a romantic x? However although I like the main premise of the book I found myself not wanting to read it. As some other reviewers have said the main character Ellie is not particularly likeable, she's having an affair with a married man, she doesn't care about her friends opinions, she's pretty slack at work and very self centred. So far so bad. Yet as often happens with novels with dual storylines it is the historical (or 1960s in this case) story that keeps you reading. In 1960s London Jenny wakes up after a car crash not really remembering much about her life at all, its all very confusing and after a while she questions whether she and her husband Larry have a happy life together. Then she finds a love letter, written to her that she had kept hidden, ransacking the house she finds more but cannot remember the author. Is he still waiting for her, where is he, why hasn't he contacted her since the crash?
Moyes knows how to keep you reading, providing little tastes of the past so that sometimes we are reading Jenny's life after the crash and other times before. Piecing together the story just as she has to and just as Ellie does when she finds the letters 40 years later. There are definite echoes of An Affair to Remember and some scenes are cliched. Yet if the measure of a good novel is was it engrossing - then the answer for me is yes. I wanted to know what happened to Jenny and her lover and her husband, is it the sacharine happy ending or something altogether more bleak?
This certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea, as I didn't think it would be mine, but you may be pleasantly surprised if you give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 3 Mar. 2012
If you enjoy a good tale, full of twists and turns, and are a romantic at heart, just buy it. You really won't be disappointed. I loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars read it slowly!, 19 April 2011
My mother and sister read (and raved) about this book a few months ago but it took me a while to get round to starting it... and no time at all to finish. Consciously, I kept stopping, going back, to chew over the beautiful words expressed in the letters, and the descriptions of 1950s life in London and the Riviera (an area very familiar to me).

The author has stayed well clear of Mills and Boon territory. This book is heartwarming and heartbreaking in equal measures.

It's so easy to read that I rushed through it - don't make the same mistake. Give me a week and I'll start it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 23 April 2011
I won't go in to the story of this book as it is so beautiful the enjoyment must come from reading it yourself.

The romance of the storyline set in the sixties is written so well that I felt I was transported back to the era. The main characters were believable and inspiring - it is romantic but realistic.

I could not put it down and will certainly be buying more of her books.

My only criticism is that, for me, the end felt slightly rushed - but there is a great twist - 9/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling love story, 19 May 2012
When features writer Ellie stumbles across a love lever from 1960 in the archives of the newspaper she works for, she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the passion and urgency of the words before her, and simply has to discover what became of this pair of lovers.
Flashback to 1960 and a Jennifer Stirling finds herself waking up in hospital following a car crash with no memory of events preceding it. She finds herself simply having to accept the life she is told is hers, that of a high society housewife in a contented marriage; yet something simply doesn't feel right. It is only when she stumbles across the letters from her lover that she starts to put the pieces of her life together and becomes increasingly desparate to find the man who wrote them!
The Last Letter from Your Lover is a beautifully written old-fashioned romance, which draws you in right from the very start and becomes increasingly hard to put down as the story evolves, with all its twists and turns. The majority of the book is set in the 1960s and Moyes recreates the period perfectly, such that the reader becomes quite lost in the society of that time, and such that the parts set in modern day Britain serve as a sharp contrast to the changes that have evolved in the last 40 years. There is indeed a certain nostaliga for a bygone era, the love letters themselves a symbol of something lost, in comparison to the texts and e-mails of modern society.
The story itself is very cleverly constructed, the parts set in the 60s initially switching from Jennifer before and after her accident, such that it shows her trying to solve the identity of her mysterious lover, whilst at the same time the reader is tantalisingly afforded the privilege of flashbacks to the affair. I particulalry enjoyed the parts set in the French Riviera where Jennifer first meets B, as it is all wonderfully glamarous and reads rather like an old-fashioned movie.
In Jennifer, Moyes succeeds in creating a sympathetic character, who despite the fact that she is involved in an affair, readers can but warm to. She is a woman trapped by the restrictions and rigid moral codes of the society to which she belongs, and against which she has to fight for her freedom. The love story between her and the mysterious B is compelling, and the obstacles and twists of fate that keep them apart throughout the story really does have the reader longing for that happy ending.
The final third of the book switches back to Ellie's story in the modern day, cutting off from Jennifer's at rather a climatic point. I have to say that I didn't find myself as engaged in the modern story or characters. Ellie too is involved in an affair, however, simply doesn't evoke the same sympathy as Jennifer and her story just seemed rather mundane in comparison. Still, the modern story does eventually tie with the old, and I found myself racing through the final chapters to learn of the fates of Jennifer and her B; the ending when it does come, after yet more twists in the story, is one of the most satisfying I can recall having read in a long while!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Heartbreaking, Awesome, 21 April 2011
The Last Letter From Your Lover was a tiny bit stifling at first. I struggled to loose myself in it, but only for the first 50 or so pages.

The contrast between modern freedom and the constraints of the 1960's playout heavily in the novel, often the lines blurring. A loose sense of morals and the agonising choice over following your head or your heart the leading themes.

The way the novel is written is entirely fresh and intriguing, swapping from time lines, telling you the story and dropping hints without being obvious about it. The book itself was an amazing read, absolutely breathtaking and tragic and uplifting all at once. I didn't want this book to end - I wanted another five hundred pages waiting for me at the finish line. Sadly, all that was left was my imagination which went into overdrive wondering what happened next.

Jojo Moyes created sympathetic, and at times, frustrating characters and impossible situations. Your heart will ache, your mind boggle and your pulse race within the pages of this amazing book. I urge everyone to read this, and it has become my most recommended read to anyone who will hear me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming story, 20 April 2011
The cover of this book makes you think it will be a fluffy Mills and Boon type of romance which is why I never bothered to buy it before but having read some of the reviews I decided to give it a try. The story is written very well (you need to get through the numerous spelling mistakes and missing words - better editing is needed) with the changes between the time periods handled very easily. The main character Jennifer is a bit weak but I think she needs to be in order for the story to work - a stronger character would not have worked as well in this plot. I think more could have been made of the Asbestos issue - it was touched on but never really in a significant way. The book is easy to read and the story moves along at a good pace - not exactly page turning but enough to keep you interested. All in all this was an enjoyable read.

The Last Letter from Your Lover