4.0 out of 5 stars A Sci-Fi Gem
Wake is another future classic from Robert and the start of a news series for him, in which the principle protagonist learns to see the web and learns of the consiousness stirring within.

As with Flash Forward its beautifully sculpted. The characters a triumph especially with the care and consideration of the protagonista which I really love with an overall...
Published on 16 Jan. 2010 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

2.0 out of 5 stars Great story, poor writing
Once I read 'Wake', the first book in the trilogy, I 'had' to read the other two because the implications of the story are so intriguing that I wanted to know what was next. Intriguing pretty much like a blockbuster can be with lots of action and shallow characters though.

If you're a geek and don't care too much about poetry, you'll like it.
There are...
Published on 23 Feb. 2012 by Gianluca Galetti

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly Lacking, 16 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
This is the first book of Sawyer's I have read and...bear with me...the first time I've felt compelled to pen a review. As a premise the spontaneous awakening of AI on the web sounded interesting and I expected to be swept along with a convincing and enthralling account of how it may come about. I was sorely disappointed. Sawyer's treatment of the mechanism of the awakening is brief and simplistic, a thin and brittle layer of gloss that is as unconvincing as it is shallow.

Sadly that is not the only problem with the tale which progresses in a monstrously linear fashion. Two side stories are never fully developed and fail to connect at all with the main thread leaving one with a sense of puzzlement and disappointment.

My overall impression though was that this is a book for young teenagers and Sawyers unpleasant habit of signposting areas of mathematics to go away and study reinforced that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Technologically laughable but a great story, 31 Dec. 2010
D. R. Cantrell (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
The premise of this story - a blind girl gets a Device to make her see, and ends up being able to see the structure of the world wide web - was a real turn-off for me. It's ludicrous, is one of the worst-explained parts of the story, and given my profession it's a great big flashing warning that we have here an author who's going to write wrongly about something I am an expert in. However, I already know from several of his previous works that Sawyer writes good stories, so I decided to risk it and buy the book second-hand for a pittance.

I'm glad that I did. Thankfully, while he does get the technology wrong on so many levels, the story is indeed a good one, and we also have believable characters and sound dialogue. That papers over the technological cracks that would otherwise have spoilt it for me. There is another weakness though - the ending leaves far too much dangling. Of course, there's a sequel, so no doubt things will get tidied up there, but I so much prefer series where each individual episode at least tries to work on its own.

Recommended, apart from to sad sacks who insist on rigourous hyper-correctness in their fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story!, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
You have to read this book!
This was the first time i read a book by this author. It was a very good read! The story is about a girl living in Canada who undertakes a new procedure in Japan to overcome her blindness. Things don't go to plan so she comes home still blind! Once home though, her new implant starts to work and she ends up seeing the web! It's really well done, there's science to back up whats happening, but it's written in a way that's easy to understand.
There are also other stories that run alongside the main story and they all link together through the internet, where a sentient being is emerging. I was left wanting to know more about the charactors from all the stories and I cant wait to read another book by Sawyer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
I bought this book entirely because of the TV show Flashforward, which I am enjoying. I'm always intrigued when films or tv shows are based on books because the book is generally more enjoyable. I found the ideas on which this was based very interesting and consequently thoroughly enjoyed it. The main character is detailed and engaging and you're with her the whole way unlike many science fiction series which seem to have huge numbers of characters which it is imposssible to keep up with.

If this is the start of a new series, I will definitely be following it.

Wake