5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed renovation
Published 21 months ago by M. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dissapointing
I played the entire saga and I thought this game would be the best of them.I was wrong:the puzzles are a little boring and not as difficult as the other ones and the use of 3D technology could be way better.The only thing I am happy with is the downloadable puzzles you can enjoy everyday.
Published 18 months ago by Asanu

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed renovation, 27 Oct 2012
M. Johnson "Pure Nard" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
As a fan of Professor Layton I know I wasn't alone in worrying about where the series could go once I'd completed "Spectre's Call." Though the game was still entertaining to a point, it was obvious that the games' formulaic approach was wearing thin. The series needed a little change in direction and thankfully that is provided in the Professor's first outing on the 3DS.

The main core of the game hasn't changed. The Professor receives another letter from another old friend describing another strange set of events at another odd little town. He sets off to investigate, with Luke and assistant Emmy in tow, to find a town full of odd people who converse and live their lives providing puzzles to strangers. It's everything you've come to enjoy from Layton.

The big changes attribute greatly to the 3D factor. Conversations, navigation and a lot of puzzle solving now takes place using the 3D screen. No more prodding around every inch of the environment looking for hint coins, as the new magnifying glass search reveals areas worth investigating for you. No more flat, gestureless dialogues with the townsfolk, as the more rotund, 3D characters gesticulate greatly whilst speaking on the top screen. It takes a little getting used to seeing the characters in a more polygon model, but it succeeds in giving extra life to them. The anime cutscenes are even more impressive in 3D and the carnival like town of Monte D'or provides a stunning backdrop.

Of course, once past the visuals, it is the gameplay that is of most importance. The puzzles here are as entertaining and head scratching as they've always been, with a steady difficulty curve but a good mixture as well. Whilst not many take as much advantage of the 3D available as I feel the could, there are a few welcome breaks in play in the form of other guises, (horseriding anyone?) The story is also intriguing due to the flashbacks to the past, and the ability to play within these flashbacks, making for some interesting plot turns and discoveries about the Professor's past, though I'd argue this is one the weakest mysteries to solve in the series so far (it's sort of obvious who the villains are here.) The minigames are much improved, with all three being playable to the end. In previous games, my interest has waned in at least one of these minigames and in one of the games (Lost Future I think) I didn't bother with any of them.

My only minor gripe was the pateince you have to allow yourself for this game. It's a good job that you spend a good while being amazed at the visuals in this game because in my first two hours of gameplay I only came across ten puzzles. There is a lot of talking to characters who, for the first time ever in a Layton game, don't insist on giving you a puzzle to solve before giving you information. It's a strange choice from Level 5, but you are rewarded for this patience as the game wears on.

This was a much needed change of pace for the Professor. Spend some time zooming in and out of the environments and just enjoying the splendour of a well loved series in 3D, before getting down to a few good old head-scratchers. Had we had more of the same, I may have grown tired of Layton and called time on my interest in the series. As it is, I can enjoy this game (one free puzzle a day for a year) until the next one is released, rumoured to be the last for the DS, something I'll be genuinely sad about

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid entry into the series and a great use of 3D, 17 Jan 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all, after scrolling down, most of the one or two star reviews are from people who bought the game thinking it would run on their old DS (DSi, DS lite etc.) and whilst a few of them are jokes, these should all be ignored because these people aren't reviewing the game, they're reviewing amazon's inability to make 3DS games run on their DS, Gameboy, or PS3. This is not a valid criticism of any in game mechanic or feature.

I just want to say that I'm about an hour into it and the worst I can say about it is that the puzzles seem a little bit easier. The puzzles are still hard enough to be entertaining, but everything else has been done just as good as the last game, if not then better. The visuals are impressive, the game runs smoothly and has excellent storytelling.

I have to say that Professor Layton games are easy to get into if you haven't played any of the games before any specific entry, but this one won't disappoint for old fans like me. Definitely worth picking up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long awaited 3ds game of the great Professor Layton Series, 16 Jan 2013
I chose this game as I am an avid fan of the the Professor Layton Series, this game did not disappoint me it was well worth the money and the wait following The great Layton on his investigation into the mysterious mask

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Game play, 12 Jan 2013
The 3d effects are truly remarkable and the game is the best in the Professor Layton series. Role on the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series yet, 6 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
To the people giving it one star, video games consoles have a life span of 5-6 years, and have done for the last 25 years. The fact that this game is on a new console after 4 DS games shouldn't be surprising, or a reason to mark it down. I suspect this is down to the DS being some reviewers' first games console. Welcome to a fantastic pastime, all, but yes, you do need to upgrade the hardware if you want to play the latest games. This is in no way unusual, it's absolutely standard for all computer games, and it is clearly marked on the box and in the Amazon entry when you bought it. Like any media product, check it runs on your hardware before buying!

Onto the game itself. It uses the new 3DS features to good effect- better graphics, cut scenes and one of the better uses of 3D so far on the system- the gentle pace of Layton and static backgrounds work well with it. I found the main story lacking, but the characterisation of Layton's childhood friends and their place in the mystery makes up for it. Music is as good as ever, gentle accordions in full effect.

Some puzzles repeat several times (getting slightly harder variations) but this is no different to any previous entry, and the extra puzzles more than make up for it. An extra puzzle is available every day for a year after the original release date, and you only need to tap one button to download all that have been released so far- easy to use and packed with value for Layton fans.

A walking robot minigame is good fun, along with a shelf stacking game and a horse riding one that becomes available about halfway through. The last minigame is a rabbit training game- perhaps it might be fun for anyone that likes nintendogs, but I found it a bit tedious.

All in all, it took over 16 hours for me to finish the story and the majority of the puzzles and minigames, and I still have 355 daily puzzles to go that I'll be dipping into now and then. For those that buy the game after November 2013, you might be able to download all 365 extra puzzles at once!

To summarize then, it's great value. Perhaps not the best Layton story ever, but it is packed with great characters and content, so if you are just here for the puzzles and gentle whimsical humour, it's a good buy that'll keep you going back to it for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars PROFESSOR LAYTON & THE MIRACLE MASK 3DS, 30 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Fantastic game - It seems that every time Professor Layton is realised the game just gets better and beter - The graphics are spectacular and the puzzles do give your brain cells a good workout - I will be buying another copy and the 3DS XL for my retied mother for Christmas - BEST GIFT TO GIVE SOMEONE FOR CHRISTMAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Professor Layton and the Miracle Maks - 3DS, 9 Dec 2012
Dr. Daniel Steffen "danieldsteffen" (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This isn't a 3 and half star product. It just says it is as people are purchasing it while being unaware that this game is for the 3DS not the DS(i, XL). This makes sense as nintendo is really trying to push the 3DS and get some amazing games like this playable on this. Those who live in the past need to wake up an realize that the DS has been out for 7 years. It makes sense that nintendo would rather support its newer and better system, the 3DS.

The 3D visuals in this game are amazing, normally in other games I turn the 3D off but here I keep it on the whole time! The cut scenes are really good in 3D but I would have preferred it if there were more cut scenes. The story in this game is really good and it will keep you busy for a good 12 hours. There are 3 minigames to go through which are fun, and you progress through them as you solve more puzzles. The puzzles are really a lot of fun. The difficulty level is good, not too hard nor too easy.mI do not regret purchasing this game and I will be playing it for a little while longer. Did I mention that you can download 1 puzzle a day for a year?!?! That really increases the playability of the game, and its value. It is a vast improvement in all aspects on the other games on the DS, if you enjoyed them you will enjoy this even more. There are also 2 more layton games confirmed for the 3DS so this might make you want to take the step of buying the amazing console, it is also in XL now.

5.0 out of 5 stars I only bought a 3DS XL for this game and it was worth it., 6 Jan 2013
So I have numerous DS's and game boys and I really thought that I didn't need a 3DS because I already had a DSi XL but then I hear about this and being a huge fan of the games I knew I had to get one. So I did and it was worth it, I've only just started the game and it's already made me give it 5 stars. The whole 3D aspect makes it feel completely new but still loveable in the ol' Layton way and I can't wait to spend several hours just playing it. Just a simple review because the stars already express my view of this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prof Layton and the Miracle Mask, 12 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's the very essence of Professor Layton series with 3D cherry on top. After problems with day one Daily Puzzle downloads (I thought - 'London Life' again or what!) got solved, I can tell ya'll honestly, the best Layton game yet. I just hope that Azran Legacies will be even better... and released sooner.

We've been waiting for this one almost 2 years, Level-5, seriously?

5.0 out of 5 stars Exelent game, 6 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
One of the most charming games I've played in years. Wholeheartedly recommended, could be the best of the Layton series.
Also, I pity the people who gave it a bad review because the game wasn't released on their console too. You wouldn't buy a PlaySation 3 game and expect it to run on a PlayStation 2 would you? Likewise, the 3DS is a new generation console with significantly more powerful hardware than the old DS (32 times more RAM!). The 3DS is not just a DS with a 3D screen slapped on, there's good reason why its games won't run on the dated DS hardware.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS)
15.75