on 6 February 2015
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D couples enhanced graphics with glasses-free 3D visuals, while a streamlined touch-screen interface and newly implemented motion controls provide a fresh and intuitive feel. The game also features the Master Quest - a second quest with revamped puzzles and redesigned dungeons that feature the same graphical and interface upgrades as the main game.

This is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, just as you remember it, reborn for a new portable system and a new generation of gamers across the globe. If you have never played this classic game, stop reading this review and get out there and buy it. The core essence of Ocarina of Time ages exceptionally well (even in light of sequels that have expanded on it), and it's never looked better. That Nintendo and Grezzo were only willing to adjust and enhance so much (by and large the sound is untouched) is truly admirable and speaks to their respect for the source material and its original developers. There is no doubt in my mind that it was the right choice. Why mess with perfection?

That said, that decision comes with a price, one that will frustrate many of you who have played this game over and over again and are in the market for drastic change. If the graphical boost isn't enough - and let's be honest, we're already seeing some games on the 3DS that look better than this - you're not going to have much else to satisfy your interests. It's clear this game is being released to find a new generation of gamers that are just discovering Nintendo's franchises. The rest of us will have to determine if it's worth re-visiting a Hyrule we've known for nearly 13 years. Rest assured, though, that doing so will not only let you relive a masterpiece, it will let you experience it in the best way possible.
on 19 June 2011
Normally I don't write reviews for products, but I felt I HAD to make an exception for this game.

Thirteen years ago a twelve-year-old girl sat down to play this game and was instantly transported to another place, and here in 2011, that now grown woman was just as instantly grabbed when the first glimpse of a now more sinisterly sneering Gannondorf was revealed in the images of opening sequence. Link waking up in his mostly identical-to-the-original house did not prepare me for the awe inspiring moment of stepping out into the Kokiri Forest for the first time. From that moment on, with each new marvel of added detail, the most common word to leave my mouth was "wow" even as a grin of utter enjoyment remained on my face.

Once sparce areas of grass and ground now dotted with upright stems and flowers.

The glory of seeing real hills beyond parts of the boundaries of the explorable areas, instead of flat unyielding walls you couldn't see beyond even from high ground.

The Lost Woods, now looking like a real woodland when you peer up to the canopy overhead.

And, as strange as this might seem... I was particularly piqued when I noticed that at night, light now shines onto the ground from the windows of houses. There are now so many small details that just bring the original even more to life, that weren't there before.

And then there's the revamp of certain locations and rooms in dungeons and the open world. The three I feel I must mention are:

The Temple of Time, for which my jaw literally dropped when I saw how it had gone from a plain hall into a cathedral complete with chandeliers and stone collumns.

The Fishing Pond, which in the original resembled an earthen pit with a pool in the middle, with a flat wall of tree facade above. Yet now it is a glorious landscape, with real trees and plants, and even a WATERFALL to replace the original inoncuous stream coming out of the wall. I sat in there for a good fifteen minutes just using the gyro controls to look around, before I even considered using the fishing rod I'd just hired.

The third place is the last room of the Ice Caverns. For those who remember the original room, with its black walls and repeating pattern of glowing diamond/circles, the transformation is another jaw dropper although I will make no mention of what has been done to it... I wouldn't want to spoil the moment of seeing it for yourselves. This isn't just a remake, this reimagining of a classic is a true work of art.

The story draws you in just as it did back in 1998, all the more endearing for the tweaked animations. The lazy carpenters now literally SKIP around Kakariko (I will never be able to look at them seriously again). And after clearing the Dodongo's Cavern, Darunia now touchingly ruffles Link's hair before delivering two 'friendly pats' on his head... If that scene doesn't make you laugh more than it did the first time after seeing that, then I don't know what will.

All in all, this is definitely a 'must buy' game for both Zelda veterans and newcomers alike. Ocarina of Time isn't just a game, it's an experience, and one that shouldn't be missed.
99 comments|189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2011
For some reason I never got around to playing Ocarina of Time on the n64. I played about half of it on the Wii's Virtual Console though and can confirm the the 3D version is the defenitive version.

The clunky Nintendo 64 Graphics have been re-rendered to look better in 2D, let alone 3D. And the 3D in this game really works, riding Hyrule around on Epona feels breath taking in 3D, it's almost like being there.

For those who've never played a Zelda game before, here's the jist.

The Jist:

"You take control of Link, and solve puzzles around the world of Hyrule and in various dungeons, fighting bad guys, defeating bosses and collecting new items for your inventory that allow you to progress further."

If you've probably played this type of game before, but nobody does it better than the makers of Zelda, after all they've been doing it for 25 years. And if you haven't played this type of game before, maybe it's time you gave it a go.

The start of the game is fairly average, Zelda is renowned for starting slow, but it gets much much better. And when you finally finish the game, you'll be sad it's all over (if you do feel like playing throuhg a second time, you get to play the master quest, which has new more difficult puzzles and dungeons).

This is THE must have game for every 3DS owner. Once you've played it through it'll be the bench mark for all your future games.
on 29 December 2011
I was 12 when Ocarina of Time was originally released in 1998. I did receive a copy for my N64, but didn't really play it much, my somewhat diminished attention span, would mean that after an hour or so I would flick back to playing Turok 2 which I had also got for christmas that year.

Now 13 years later, I'm in a far more suitable mind frame to be appreciating this game. Admittedly I have only really found Zelda this year, after downloading both this and Majora's mask for my wii. It was only when I played this that I realised what I had been missing. This was recommended to me by a friend, who knew I adored the Metroid series. Vastly different, there are a few similarities between the two franchises. Since then I've gone on to own and complete this, Majora's mask, zelda 1 and 2, links awakening, a link to the past, twilight princess and wind waker. But I'd say this is more than likely the greatest one in the series followed closely by wind waker.

Anyways on to talking about the actual game itself. Like my title implies the port from N64 to hand held console hasn't taken away anything from the overall feel/experience of the game. At times the lush, vibrant colours can overwhelm especially with the 3d effect turned on, but that's a minor complaint, since it can be toggled on or off to suit. One more slight qualm that I have was with the controller system, when aiming Link's fairy bow, the whole tilt-to-aim system in place could get rather clumsy and felt a little awkward, however the ability to put on or take off the iron boots in the water temple at the touch of a button compensated for this slight technical hitch.

This game is truly immersive. Like all Zelda titles (or the one's that I have played), there's always that feeling at the back of your mind when playing this 'just a little bit more', I am unable to exercise any semblance of self control and play this in moderate amounts. The proof is in the fact that I got this along with my version of the 3ds on christmas day, and have since completed the game. The graphics look gorgeous, and have been updated and feel contemporary, fitting well into to todays game scene and never look dated or evident of its 13 years of age, they have done an excellent job of polishing this classic game. The story line is so thorough, well thought out, and paced perfectly, Your character Link growing as the story develops. There are some wonderful and magical moments, I won't spoil them, but everything from opening and delving into treasure chests to unlocking a hidden or secret passage, really creates that sense of accomplishment that I feel is essential in any game, its that sense of reward that encourages the gamer to continue playing. I'm glad I've been initiated into the glorious Zelda franchise, it really is a gem of series in the video game scene. Even if you remember this the first time around, and may have even previously completed it, I recommend you give it a go in its hand-held brilliance, you won't be disappointed. It is as peerless and timeless, as the hero Link, who stars in it.
on 30 January 2012
Having never played the original game, the story line was completely new to me so I had no prejudgments when playing. I still haven't finished, but so far I love it. Some people complain that the 3D creates a feeling of fake depth, you only have to switch of the 3D to see what a difference it really makes in this game. The graphics are bright and smooth looking, with added detail from the original game (having seen comparison screen shots) especially in the water levels. It has thr right mix between being challenging and fun, with all the usual zelda puzzles.

One problem I did have is with the controls, they can be fiddly and awkward at times. You use the left shoulder button to target enemies and items/look around using the gyro sensor in the console (something which I have never understood in a console which has such a small sweet spot for the 3D effect). This would be a nice feature to explore your surroundings better if it wasn't quite so clumsy and the auto targetting seems to have some priority issues.

I wouldn't let the problems put you off buying this game, it is way better than any other zelda game on the ds so far and really is a must if you are going to own any 3D games.
on 18 April 2013
Quite frankly, Ocarina of Time is astounding. It should come with a public health warning that it will take over your life and encourage you to skip work/school/eating to see what comes next.

It's impossible, in a few words, to do justice to the complexity of the kingdom you explore and the simplicity of controlling Link, the beautiful arc of difficulty, the freedom to roam as you please and interact with other characters whilst not feeling constricted by a storyline.

Graphically stunning, beautifully rewarding in terms of time spent versus achievement - gaming just doesn't get better than this. When I get to the end of it I might just get my memory erased so I can enjoy the thrill of discovery all over again.
on 4 July 2014
If you haven't played Ocarina of Time before, you're in for a treat. My biggest concern was that it might feel dated due to it being originally on the N64 but the updated controls, graphics and the 3D effect really help things stay fresh. It's essentially the same game but minor tweak shelp tighten things up, such as Navi not interrupting the flow of play as much. Ocarina of Time is a true classic that any fan of video games should play. Part RPG, part adventure, it's amazing how Nintendo brought Zelda into the third dimension and I hope that Majora's Mask receives the same treatment.
on 10 April 2016
Since acquiring my first Zelda game (A Link Between Worlds) just over a year ago I've been realising that not playing these games as a kid was the biggest mistake of my childhood. All of the Zelda games I've played so far have been awesome, and this one is no exception, fully deserving its reputation as the greatest video game of all time. Excellent storyline and gameplay, amazing graphics, even the soundtrack is great. The controls are intuitive, and very similar to Majora's Mask 3D which I got last year, so took very little getting used to. The whole thing is just really beautifully put together, a must-have for any fan of the series, or even just any fan of video gaming. It combines a great storyline with epic battles, exploring and solving puzzles in order to progress. What more could you want? The game now includes Sheikah Stones, which I understand weren't in the N64 version. If you get stuck, these can show you a short video clip showing you what to do next. For the first time I actually felt really disappointed at having finished a game, purely because I enjoyed it so much I wish it didn't have to be over. On completing the game for the first time you unlock Master Quest, which is harder with a reversed map and different dungeon layouts. It won't be too long before I try that one out. So far only Skyward Sword has matched this one in my opinion.
on 1 November 2015
Ahh the memories. As an adult living with Aspergers nostalgia is a huge part of my life. My childhood revolved around games such as this and i can still remember the sheer impact and fascination playing this game for the first time had on me. OPEN WORLD? 3D GRAPHICS? CHARACTERS WITH REAL PERSONALITY? WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE? yes thats more or less how I felt. and now i can relive this moments where ever i go in the world aslong as my 3DS batterys charged.
The game itself is one of the best games in creation. Its lengthy, immersive and thoroughly beautiful with plenty of Dungeons and a handful of side missions there's loads to do and explore. and if you've played this before and complete with relative ease theres the new"ish" Master Quest mode which redesigns the dungeons puzzles, mirrors the map and changes the placements of the Skulltulas making for a fresher feeling challenge.
I have completed this game 100% with all items, Skulltulas and heart pieces in both normal mode and Master quest mode at least four times a year since its release and im still not bored with it. I would recommend this game to vintage video game players and new alike. This is video gaming at its best mixing brainteasing puzzles with epic battles and hours of exploring. For the best experience though do not use a guide. in the old N64 days we didn't have the luxury of looking answers up on our smart phones. and nothing makes for a better moment than when you go away and think about a puzzle before coming to a successful conclusion.
on 1 February 2013
Okay I want to say that Ocarina of Time is one of the best Zelda games created, and one of the best to be released originally on the N64; and I was fortunate at the time to have played it on that particular game system. So it should be no surprise that I would be thrilled of its release on the 3DS.

So why then have I only given it 4 stars, well the answer is simple. Aside from the new improved graphics and textures, and along with the option to replay boss battles and the Master Quest version included. There really isn't anything new included. And for someone who played the original version countless times and even the bonus disc that was released along with Wind Waker it's kind of a disappointment as there is nothing new to discover and no new locations and dungeons to explore.

When Link's Awakening DX for the Game Boy Colour was released the designers opted to throw in some new elements; such as the Camera Shop where the Mouse would follow you around with a camera and take random photos at certain locations. Or the bonus hidden dungeon that when completed gave players the choice of one of two Power Ups.

I reckon of course time and memory space is good reason why the developers couldn't develop and add new things like these to this revamp. And though I understand fully that a revamp is the ideal way introduce the game and others like it to a new generation of gamers who missed out on the days of the N64; or simply just to turn a profit. For me, someone who had experienced those days and the game; as I said there is nothing new the game can offer and so would have been satisfied if Nintendo would instead focus their efforts and time on an original Zelda Title for the 3DS.

But hearing now that Majora's Mask and Link to the Past are now lined up as future title releases I guess I may have to wait a while longer or until Nintendo release another hand-held game system with its own Zelda title.

Those are my thoughts, but hey I'll say it. Ocarina of Time is still a great game.