on 14 April 2012
This author, Claude Bouchard is new to me, but wow will I read more. Brilliantly written,very clever, gripping tale about a vigilante killer who seeks out his targets who have all commited various horrendous crimes themselves, and not been apprehended. It keeps you interested throughout. I read it in bed over three nights, but could not wait to get to bed each night to read on.
on 12 January 2012
I downloaded this after noticing a link to the thriller on twitter. I read it in a day. This is a clever novel, which draws you in as the characters search for the vigilante killer in desperate attempt to stop a string of killings. To be honest, you have to sympathise with the killer at first as his victims are all evil criminals, who deserve to die!! Barry is a computer wizard and Dave McCall is a detective. Together they form the perfect investigation machine as they hunt for the vigilante. A new thriller writer for me, but I will read the rest of the series now. Ten out ten thriller.
on 8 January 2013
I got 2 of these books when they were free, and in spite of a few irritations, I have bought all of the series.
There have been several good synopses given of this book, so I won't retell the story, but I really enjoyed this one best of the whole lot (I'm on my 5th book now).

The main irritant is the authors constant use of 'cuz' instead of 'because'. I realise people do shorten it, along with many other words, but the constant use of this one word got on my nerves and I noticed it mored as I read more books. No other words were shortened in this way

This first book has such an intriguing plot and is well written (apart from 'cuz!!) with few mistakes from translation or not being written in the author's mother tongue. I stayed up until the early hours for 2 nights reading this, as I usually only read in bed, but it was so exciting I had to keep reading! Mr Boucharde is to blame for severe loss of sleep.
I highly recommend this book, and I'm sure few readers will stop at just one book!
on 11 April 2012
Wow, I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. It kept me guessing till the
last page and left me wanting more. I have downloaded the next four books in the series
and can not wait to read them. I highly recommend Vigilante, the plot and characters will
have you hooked from the first page!
on 29 January 2013
I found this to be a well-written book with a reasonable plot - not original (Death Wish etc), but with enough differences and credible characters to make it enjoyable so you don't keep making comparisons. The plot concerns an unknown individual who is bumping off undesirables who the police can't lock up due to red tape or insufficient evidence. The police (although secretly admiring the vigilante) are not making progress and enlist the aid of an investigative company specialising in computing and technology headed by a "whizz kid". The story ends with a twist, and there are some loose ends; these are actually addressed in the sequel (which I've just started). Hopefully the vigilante will exterminate many more vermin.
I actually got the first 3 in the series free, but I think that the present price of £2.50 per book is reasonable (at least for the first; the second seems to be holding up well so far).
on 11 January 2013
Enjoyed this first in the series (although it's by no means new - 1995 vintage) and have already begun the second - The Consultant. Incidentally there is no way you can read the second first since it gives the game away for the first tale.
At several places though there is a little cheating going on to help disguise who the Vigilante is if you haven't already guessed. For instance we are shown a character musing over possibilities, something he would never have done since he knows the answer - he is the killer. And the few red herrings are a shade laboured. As a police procedural this has its faults, however this is a very enjoyable read and the characters come across sympathetically and believably. Writing with a good flow. Recommend it for easy escapism.
on 18 November 2012
I read the sequel first (and preferred it) yet enjoyed this one. It was fast paced, well written with very convincing and loveable characters. I'd gladly read a third in the same series, even though I'm not much of a series person myself.
on 1 December 2012
I was debating whether to give it a three or four star rating. It did however manage to keep the interest going enough to want to read the second book. I hope the second one manages to raise the story enough to keep the interest going.
on 19 November 2012
I read 'The Consultant', the second in Claude Bouchard's Vigilante series, a couple of months ago and gave it five stars. I'm giving its predecessor, 'Vigilante', five stars too for exactly the same reasons. It's fast-paced, inventive, full of twists and turns, keeps you guessing and defies you to put it down. It also has the virtue of confronting the reader with a big moral dilemma. How do you feel about a killer who, on one hand, rids society of evil criminals but, on the other, does it by taking the law into his own hands?
Claude Bouchard's racy, exhilarating style keeps you hooked from first page to last. He is a highly skilled operator, a master of the thriller genre.
on 2 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book. Even though I guessed the identity of the murderer quite early on there were several red herrings
throughout which made it more interesting.