5.0 out of 5 stars Claude keeps me thrilled and in suspense
I have just this moment finished reading a terrific book, and I just have to tell you about it!

The book in question is Vigilante by Claude Bouchard (@ceebee308 on Twitter). It is a crime thriller, but is quite superior to many novels that I have read in this genre.

Published on 24 Feb 2011 by Rich James

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre
Published 22 months ago by Lauren G

5.0 out of 5 stars Claude keeps me thrilled and in suspense, 24 Feb 2011
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)

The story centers around a vigilante killer in Montreal, Canada. The killer seeks out his targets who have all commited various horrendous crimes themselves, and have eluded capture by the police. The story also introduces us to a police detective Dave McCall and a computer expert, Chris Barry. The two team up to solve the serial killings in the city and try to capture the Vigilante.

The book is extremely fast paced, with almost every word advancing the plot in some way. We readers are not subjected to endless flowery descriptions of people and places which can subtract from the flow and energy and pace of a story. However, there is ample description for the characters to be fully formed, multi-dimensional characters. It really is a non-stop adrenaline fuelled read.

The story is packed with twists and turns that lead the reader into forming judgements, only to be proved that their assumptions were wrong. The reader then gets taken on another route, as McCall and Barry close in on their man.

Vigilante really is a very entertaining and gripping novel, which definitely holds your attention. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to purchasing the next books in the McCall/Barry series, also by Claude Bouchard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glued to my Kindle, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
I got this book and it's follow-on The Consultant as freebies and have just read them back to back. There're plenty of posts here re the plot so I'll stick to the my usual gripes about grammar, editing, and proof reading. Well there are no gripes.

Written in a style that reminds me very much of John Grisham, one of my favourite authors, I was locked into the story from the first to the last words. Every word used was relevant to the story, no over powering use of irrelevant adjectives. So if you want 'he crept steathily, like a panther, through the unbelievably autumnal reds, golds, and oranges of the leaves rustling in the frisky breaze' this isn't for you. If you'd rather have 'treading carefully through the fallen leaves' then this is very much to your liking. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: Vigilante - Claude Bouchard, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant, action packed crime thriller. A well thought out story with lots going on and a couple of suspects for the reader to work on - testing our detective skills. Dave McCall is a good cop, young bright and well regarded with a good team. Chris Barry, bright, also young, wealthy and an astute businessman co-head of a large security firm with a team of brilliant minds working on the computer systems. Both likeable guys. The vigilante, although a murderer, who decides to clean up the streets from the criminals which take the police longer in obtaining enough evidence to convict. He means well, but really? This is not the way to go about it. A great unexpected twist at the end. I have a feeling there will be more to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
"Vigilante" poses the difficult moral question of how to feel about a criminal that kills individuals who are "evil" or that have committed horrific acts, whether they are domestic abuse, rape or murder. And this vigilante killer sends messages to the police after every killing; messages that cannot be traced and seem to almost not exist. The lead detective engages in a chase for the killer in which he never seems to get ahead and he begins to wonder whether the culprit lies closer to home than expected.

The basis of the novel is interesting and certainly has its merits although the narration and style of writing is not as sophisticated as you might hope. It certainly "gets the job done" but there is no flair or elegant prose within which is disappointing when readers, such as myself, know that modern crime writing can be undertaken in a thoughtful and striking manner rather than merely writing for the sake of a plot.

The plot has peaks and troughs of interest and at points, I alternately felt eager to continue and then eager for the book to finish. The finale is intriguing and as this is a series, I would be interested to know it continues however, this was a free download and I probably wouldn't pay for the second in the series.

This isn't a particularly hard-hitting novel with literary merit - the style of the author is not comparable to say, Harlen Coben, Tess Gerritsen or Jeffrey Deaver, but it is an easy to read so-so thriller that will serve you well if you are looking for a brief but not absorbing distraction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book for free, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
Got this book for free as an snook on kindle store and enjoyed it more than some I have paid for! Will keep an eye out for this author in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was interesting., 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
I was debating whether to give it a three or four star rating. It did however manage to keep the interest going enough to want to read the second book. I hope the second one manages to raise the story enough to keep the interest going.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, satisfying story, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
I read the sequel first (and preferred it) yet enjoyed this one. It was fast paced, well written with very convincing and loveable characters. I'd gladly read a third in the same series, even though I'm not much of a series person myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read. got me hooked, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded the first three books for free for my kindle. But Idiot that I am for some unknown reason I started reading the third book first. Only when it was too late did I realise my error. Saying all the above I have to say that it did not dent my enjoyment at all and I am now onto book 3, one after the other. I will be buying the next in the series. Vigilante was an excellent read and the way the plot twisted was very well written. I would recommend this to all. For me book 2 was better still, but read book 1 first, obviously...Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A rattlingly good tale., 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
I've had this on my Kindle for a couple of monthsand have only just got round to reading it. What a time I have wasted not getting to it earlier. It is well written, pacey and with identifiable characters. The style is intelligent and compelling and I look forward to reading more of Claude's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "whodunnit"!, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series) (Kindle Edition)
Great book. Good reading from beginning to end. No padding, so it was interesting and followable all the way. And, the revelation of "whodunnit" was a surprise.

Vigilante (VIGILANTE Series)