on 16 May 2011
after very tentatively buying and ultimately being unable to STOP READING 'the vigilante' until its dramatic conclusion, it was a complete 'must have' to purchase 'the consultant' immediately after finishing the first book!

the second book in the series(so far) of 6 books, sees the original characters develop even more than in book one. I'm not here to spoil any part of the book so general details wont even be touched upon..

looking back now i have read all six, this is very probably my over all favourite.
witty, shocking, the descriptives enthralling all the way through..

if i could buy it for all of you i would, as it is, trust me.. buy it now
on 10 April 2012
I loved this book. From the moment I picked up my e-book device I was hooked. A few pages was all it took to capture my thirst for adventure, intrigue and lust to read on. I feel that it was very well written with plenty of thought given to the plot-line which kept me guessing until the very end.
There was never a boring moment as Claude packed the novel full of twists and turns. Despite reading what Chris was doing, Claude managed to keep just enough information back from the reader so that when the Vigilante executed his plans it didn't feel like you were repeating yourself.
A brilliant read...5 stars without hesitation from me.
Bring on the next book.
on 2 August 2012
I have to say this is the first book of Claude's I have read. I was halfway through before I realised that this was the sequel to Vigilante. *Facepalm* But it didn't detract from the story in the least.

What's that old adage? You can't keep a good man down. It could've, and probably, was written with Chris Barry in mind.

Claude's writing is captivating. His characters are well-drawn and enhance the story as only great characters can do.

Chris Barry retires and despite being a multi-millionaire he gets involved as a consultant at an export business where a director has just been murdered. It's not long before he becomes suspicious of the partners in the firm.

But as his covert operation hots up, something happens in his personal life that puts both him and his wife in grave danger.

I must read for thriller fans.

I better go and read book one now! :-)
on 8 January 2013
I read this as the second of the 2 freebies - the first being Vigilante - and enjoyed it just as much. I've read the criticisms of the first book and I realise the writing isn't perhaps as well honed as some other thriller writers, but the story carried me along and I enjoyed it as much as the first. (I still hate his constant use of 'cuz' instead of 'because' -it really gets irritating!).
The story has been well told in other reviews so I won't add to it. I do wonder if there really is a part of the police concerned with 'discreet activities'. It seems a little bit of a stretch of the imagination, but the story is so different that I'd like to think there was! Certainly the team must have trained with superman, they are so indestructible. I love all the spy devices that are used and also wondered if they are real or figments of the author's imagination.
Once again, I really enjoyed this book, lost a fair bit of sleep reading it and then went on to the next one!
on 2 September 2012
The Consultant is the first Claude Bouchard novel I've read. It won't be the last.
Bouchard is a strong, fluent writer who hooks you and doesn't let go. The story moves at a vibrant pace, rarely pausing for breath. Once you get used to the idea that you're expected to be on the side of Chris Barry, the millionaire vigilante who often kills (but only real baddies), it's pretty hard to put this book down.
The Consultant isn't a deep psychological thriller. The baddies are irredeemably bad and the hero is a guy with a simple, though illegal, mission in life who also happens to adore his wife. But Bouchard's aim isn't to tax your mind with profound moral or metaphysical issues, it's to whirl you along on a breathtaking journey that you don't want to end.
In that he succeeds admirably. The Consultant is the confident work of a writer who knows where he wants to go and how to get there. I look forward to reading more of Claude Bouchard.
on 18 February 2015
I first read the book 1 in this series - The Vigilante - in a boxed set of 9 Killer Thrillers. Boy, is this author good. So much going on and from so many characters.. I had to write down all their names and what they did to follow it correctly.... But well worth doing.... Very intense and possibly all who read this novel will totally appreciate what the Vigilante does and why.... wouldn't we all like justice to be served on a plate . If I could give this series a 10 I would. Now for the Consultant, the second book in the series.... Another Brilliant read, and a areal page turner. Some of the characters from bk 1 are in this and you will understand why... My grandfather who was a police officer, always said that a police officer needs a mind of a criminal (so they can be caught)... and this book certainly brings that phrase to the fore. Love, Love, Loved it.... This is certainly one for the men too......
on 20 September 2012
The Consultant (VIGILANTE Series) Well I've only just written a review about Claude's first book in the series, 'Vigilante', which I thought was outstanding. I bought The Consultant as soon as I had finished it and I actually found myself physically trembling at one point - I kid you not!! I would not normally admit to this sort of response to a book I can assure you but it really had me going like no book I can remember. The two books have reignited my interest in reading having not read any fiction for a long time. I have already bought Mind Games and I have a funny feeling another review will be along soon. The Consultant is ingenious in it's construction and keeps you interested, pleasantly nervous (if there is such a thing!) and excited throughout....more please!!
on 20 July 2012
A clandestine government agency engages a vigilante to look into suspected drug-dealing at an import company (the protagonist, Chris Barry, appears in a prequel which I hadn't read). He makes his inquiries and takes remedial action by killing a whole host of characters, one by one.

And that's about as complicated as it gets. This sort of tale will therefore be for some, but not for all. There is really not a lot of colour in the novel, nor does Bouchard do much with his characters.

There are a couple of smaller plot holes and I must say the introduction of so many new characters and situations late in the story did throw me.

There are a few typos (Kindle version) but not enough to annoy.

Overall, an easy read without challenges.
on 3 February 2013
This story follows on from the first one (Vigilante) and early on ties up a couple of loose ends. I enjoyed the Vigilante and this was just as entertaining. I don't think M. Bouchard will win a Booker prize - but then Booker prize winners don't usually write books I'd go for. There's nothing unpredictable about the eventual outcome, but the author presents the plot in a way that keeps you guessing. A previous reviewer has commented on being put off by the continual use of "cuz" - I was similarly irritated by the constant "anyways". Despite that, a worthy sequel to the Vigilante, and hopefully the 3rd in the series - Mind Games - will continue in the same vein.
on 24 March 2013
I loved the first book in this series and wasn't as keen on this one for some reason. It was still good though..........it will be interesting to see how the third one goes.
I'm still a great fan of Mr Barry, though, but I did prefer his actions in the first book.
In this one there were a lot of annoying mistakes too where small words like a or to or it were missed out. No rhyme nor reason for it but it was aggravating. Something else too was the repeated use of safe instead of save. So these little niggles let it down for me too.