5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic style romance

Published on 11 April 2013 by Gardenna

5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic style romance, 28 Jan. 2007
kehs (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a gothic style romance tale that is set in a girls school in the 1960s. We follow the lives of 3 girls who are best friends. Their lives mirror the old fairy tales of Rapunzal, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty in a grim, dark fashion. The book covers many emotions - betrayal, love, treachery, envy - and a traumatic event that one of the friends suffers. I was drawn into their tales right from the beginning and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I highly recommend this book.

This was my first book by this author and I will definitely be on the lookout for more by her. If Jasper Fforde and Gregory Maguire are favourites of yours then I think Adele Geras will appeal to you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Ever After - Book Review, 24 Jun. 2011
I honestly have to say that this has to be one of the best books that I have read in a long time. I read a hell of a lot and just couldn't seem to put this book down. Despite being a slow reader it has just kept me busy since I started it about 2 weeks ago. Having just finished I am so pleased that I bought it and would strongly recommend it to anyone. I know that I will certainly be begging my friends and family to read it. Definatly worth the read. It had me smiling and crying at the same time. The characters are so easy to bond with and you seem to end up feeling the things that they do. It just the most astounding book. I do love Rapunzel and Snow White and just the fact that two of the stories from within the pages were just making it so much better. Despite not being a fan of Sleeping Beauty, the story that was based upon that did have me in the most amount of tears.
If anyone hasn't read this book then they really don't know what they are missing. You just have to read this amazing book. You certainly won't regret it I can tell you that much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Ever After- Adele Geras, 30 Aug. 2006
This book 'Happy Ever After' is based on three well-known fairy-tales and is about three friends, Megan, Alice, and Bella. It is one of the most interesting, gripping books I have ever read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it to fellow older readers.

It is slightly more dark and sinister than you would expect, and is about romance, friendship, and adventure. It was beautifully written and is so poignant and capturing. Each one of these girls is completely unique and different from each other, and each have their own fascinating story to tell. It is a brilliant, wild, dangerous and different novel and I urge everyone to read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Ever After, 19 Dec. 2012
N Shad "Sugar" (England) - See all my reviews
I've never read a book set in this era before (60's) so it was interesting and appealed to me from the start. I think the Author has been very clever in the way she has interwoven the stories of the characters with fairy-tale heroines and has managed to do this in a subtle way and more importantly in a realistic way...I did wonder how the sleeping beauty type tale would pan out but...Yes it worked. I was expecting a more `Malory Towers' theme to the story but that wasn't the case. When the story first starts I did feel there was a sinister element to the plot but this tapered off and then appeared again with more serious consequences. But why this book was labelled unsuitable for young readers was a bit beyond me because as an avid YA Fiction reader, this was pretty tame compared to some stuff I've read that is actually written for young readers

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 5 July 2007
this is such a great book - i just couldn't put it down!! i really enjoyed looking for the references to fairy tales, and thought it was really cleverly woven together. Adèle Geras deals with some pretty heavy stuff, but she does it sensitively, and the whole thing fits together beautifully.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not riveting, 11 April 2013
I was quite disappointed by this book - the ideas were really interesting, the retelling of 3 classic fairytales set in the early 1960's but it felt a bit simplistic in the writing style at times. I think the author could have done more with it - there were some really great scenes that were key to setting up denouements in each story that I felt were underwritten or glossed over. It was an okay read and a pleasant enough way to pass the time but no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern 'Far-From-Grim' Fairy Tales, 29 Dec. 2012
Three excellent stories based on three famous fairy tales....concerning three adolescent schoolgirls living in a modern girls' boarding school.....Egerton Hall. Very-well written, believable, and only disappointing when you reach the end of the trilogy. The three stories have been previously published individually....but here they are brought together. A really good bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 26 May 2013
Three stories belonging to three girls at the end of their boarding school life in the 60s, these are funny, moving, thought-provoking and brave stories, written by somebody who clearly knows that world very well indeed. The fairy tale references are subtle and surprising and clever.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 28 April 2013
really didn't like this...I found it unimaginative and predictable...didn't even go on to read last 2 stories...disappointed as potentially sounded quite interesting and was hoping for a clever 'twist' but it didn't happen...just my view!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Happy Ever After: 3 book bind-up (Kindle Edition)
Not too impressed with this. The characters were vapid and unlikable. There were plot holes. There was some originality but not much.

Happy Ever After: 3 book bind-up