5.0 out of 5 stars Frost in flares!
Published on 22 Feb. 2011 by Carol Seddon

1.0 out of 5 stars First Frost
Published 12 months ago by Graeme Bottomley

5.0 out of 5 stars Frost in flares!, 22 Feb. 2011
I loved this, because the authors have been really clever in their approach to a new Frost novel - they've stayed true to the Frost we know and love but they have also given the series an interesting new angle by taking it back to the 80's - this is Frost in flares and a brand new rain mac, before he was promoted, in the days when making a quick call meant finding a phone box first...
A very gripping, easy to read crime novel, and good fun too!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Frost, 2 Mar. 2011
I found this just as good as the other Frost novels even though it was written by another author. I read it in two days, unputterdownable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read in a flash, 15 Feb. 2011
I really liked this book, easy to read and it just fairly skimmed along. Slick, well packagedand an entertaining story. Well done!

1.0 out of 5 stars First Frost, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: First Frost: DI Jack Frost series 1 (Kindle Edition)
Got 10% into this book and quickly realised that this was going to be a waste of my time. It is, quite simply, a novel which excels in simplicity. But, with simplicity comes shallowness, comes mediocrity, comes pure boredom. The dialogue is terrible and quite frankly fails to create that original Frost humour. In fact, it just comes across as an author trying too damn hard, which is a total turn off.

We want passion in our lead characters, we want them to speak for us, say the things we dare not. Frost in this novel just came across as that witty, giddy, class clown we all seem to bump into at work...the stuck record we soon get bored of listening to.
The author, with his simple prose and cliche 'Jack the Lad' characterisation made me fall asleep everytime I picked this up.
Let's just hope a person being introduced to literature reads 'Catch 22' rather than this. Because this is enough to put anybody off for life!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Frost - first class!!, 17 Jun. 2011
Having always been a great fan of Frost - the books, TV series and audiobooks - I was quite cautious when I opened the CD of this audiobook. I need not have worried, as, in this "prequel", James Henry has captured the atmosphere and attitude of R D Wingfield's marvellous books, and David Jason again took on the personna of Jack Frost. I enjoyed this story thoroughly, and would be delighted if there are further episodes to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely frost!, 17 May 2011
Having read all the original frosts and loved them,was sceptical,but no need to be, absolutely BRILLLIANT,just like putting on your favourite slippers! Please can we have some more??? Really well written a fitting tribute to R.D.Wingfield,so glad i gave it a try,read it ,frost fans you wont be dissappointed,had a few sniggers along the way too!Typical Jack Frost sense of humour!! Loved it !! More please!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars First encounter with a literary Frost, 14 May 2011
First Frost is a prequel to the Inspector Frost series written by R.D. Wingfield. James Henry is a pseudonym for James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton. I haven't read any of the original Wingfield books, but have watched some of the TV series, A Touch of Frost, in the 90's. I can't recall too much of it, mostly I just remember the wonderful David Jason and the general atmosphere of the series, but not any other specific characters. In my memories the atmosphere and colour tones of the TV series, were gritty and grey. That atmosphere is captured perfectly in this book. Set in the early 80's, this time frame is a little too early for any concious memories on my part, but it does seem familiar from all the series and documentaries I've seen about the era.

I adore this hard-bitten, gruff and cynical version of Frost, though I gather from articles I've read comparing the two, that this is true to the literary version of Frost, as the TV version is somewhat kinder and more likeable. While that incarnation of Frost is fantastic, this version fits the era and the story better. Hanlon and Clarke are great sidekicks. I love Clarke's ambition and the way the writers don't shy away from putting her in some pretty nasty situations due to her gender. This isn't our modern society, this is a time when gender inequality was rife and feminism had a long way to go to reach all its goals. The book is true to the era it's set in and evokes some of the political climate as it shows some of the effects of the financial slump of that age and, most powerfully, emanates some of the menacing threat the IRA formed. The fear and belief that the IRA is behind a lot of the events in the book, is brought back into focus again and again. It was enlightening for me, as I'm not that familiar with that aspect of British and Irish history, and I'd never realised how all-encompassing the threat was.

Due to the absence of the station's DI's, Frost has to deal with a plethora of cases, with a variety of crimes. It's not just a kidnapping whodunit or a murder mystery, there's assault and robbery as well. Yet despite the diversity of the cases, it all fits together and they are all part of the puzzle. I love an intricate crime plot and First Frost delivers in spades. While some of the cases prove relatively straightforward to solve, the way they all fit together is kept a mystery till the end and it's this mystery that will keep you turning pages.

The book ends on a bang. I found it somewhat of a cliff hanger and hopefully the next one clarifies it more and maybe sheds some light on the Denton-based IRA connections touched on in the book. First Frost was a highly entertaining read and if you like traditional British detectives, like A Touch of Frost, Inspector Morse or Prime Suspect, I recommend you give First Frost a read, as it'll be straight up your alley.

This book was sent to me by the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class for a new author, 8 Jan. 2012
M. Parker (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Frost: DI Jack Frost series 1 (Kindle Edition)
Having read all the other Frost books I didn't believe that another author could take over but I was wrong, so wrong. James Henry had done a great job and a seamless takeover. The same humour and turn of phrase. Please can we have more Frost books soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot the difference, 29 Dec. 2011
Anthony V (Sidmouth Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Frost: DI Jack Frost series 1 (Kindle Edition)
Shut your eyes and invisage David Jason looking younger, as Jack is portrayed here and you won't go far wrong.
James Henry has achieved something special here. Can we have some more please?
However the ending seemed to run out of steam a little.
At the risk of being pedantic over a minor reference, did human rights feature in the 80's?
For the health fanatics has any one counted how many times Jack has a smoke?
All said and done a must for Frost fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A difficult task pulled off pretty well flawlessly, 5 Feb. 2011
davidT "Omnivore" (Hildesheim, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Frost: DI Jack Frost series 1 (Kindle Edition)
I have to say straight off that I'm not a big fan of joint authorship, and still less of continuing an existing series started by a dead writer. It seems it too often degenerates into uninspiring prose written by a committee ticking the necessary boxes to make this one fit into the franchise, while the intellectual efort of creating an imaginary world has already been done by others (see James Bond, Virginia Andrews...).
However, this one for me gets away with it. Partly this is because it's not so much carrying on with the story, as explaining what happened before the series as written by R.D. Wingfield even started - a 'prequel' I believe is the coinage of choice. This means that the writers can't be lazy, as there's a lot of thinking to be done, to avoid inconsistencies with the existing stories.
The other reason lies in the strength of the format used by Wingfield and maintained here - the action takes place in a compressed space of time, with at least two major crimes on the go plus up to half a dozen others of varying severity, all of which DS Frost must juggle himself due to the constraints on manpower dictated by DS Mullett. As in the original series most of these are shown to have some linking factor, which when teased out leads to the crimes being solved in the nick of time.
Except not quite all - another book is in the pipeline for this series, and there is a very obvious lead into the next one in the last sentence of this book. I also suspect that we haven't heard the last of the mysterious DI Patterson, nor of DI Allen who arrives back from holiday in the final chapter. DC Sue Clarke will definitely feature more in Frost's moribund lovelife, and I also didn't think the death asociated with the 'swingers' club was finished up quite tidliy enough. Might that be because there is still some unresolved business there? (A question here - is what they say about pampas grass in the novel true? I'll never go house-hunting with quite the same innocence again, if so!)
OK, so 5 stars for a great read and a fine ahievement at picking up an ongoing narrative without dropping a beat. If I can make a tiny criticism, though it's not worth dropping a star or part of for it, it's that the character of Sandy Lane wouldn't still be the same, or at least working on the same small-town rag in 1981 and whenever the series finished up. He might be an annoying character - though my view of him is naturally coloured by the TV interpretation, in which he comes across more as engagingly persistent - but he's not stupid, and as a determined hack would surely have moved on to better things by now. No, there's a story there as to how he sank down to the level of Denton in the first place.
A minor cavil though, and I'll certainly be lookng for the next instalment as soon as it appears.

First Frost: DI Jack Frost series 1