5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary
Published on 20 April 2011 by Maxim Davies

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this, but...
I would like to preface this review by saying that I adore the Mountain Goats, I've been a fan since that first fateful day I picked up Tallahassee in 2003. However, this album was a large disappointment.

Published on 21 May 2011 by Catnip

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 20 April 2011
Maxim Davies (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Eternals Deck (MP3 Download)
I've been a Mountain Goats fan for about 2 years now. I thought that after the last album, 'The Life of the World to Come' (which, by the way, is unbelievable), Darnielle had finally peaked. This new album goes above and beyond. Instantly memorable songs, beautiful lyrics. I think that, as an overall album, it's the best album this band has ever produced. It doesn't have as many extraordinary wonders as 'The Sunset Tree', but it's somehow more touching, more understated and subtle. It also includes the best song they've ever produced, 'High Hawk Season'. The wonderful harmonies, the phenomenal lyrics. Just buy the damn album!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 11 April 2011
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All Eternals Deck (MP3 Download)
This is easily the best Mountain Goats album since The Sunset Tree, which must be about the best album ever recorded.

It combines the light musicality of Get Lonely with the story-telling vignettes of Heretic Pride.

The title derives from a fictional Tarot Pack, and there is a companion piece All Survivors Pack, which was released on cassette with early copies of the album. All Survivors Pack is a more truly lo fi version of the songs, with some alternate tracks also included. If you are happy to search through a few file sharing sites, it is reasonably easy to locate a copy for download. Personally I prefer All Eternals Deck, to All Survivors Pack, but it is nice to be offered the choice.

Despite some dark subjects, this is a cheery album with some adventurous instrumentation, though I am not sure that backing up John Darnielle's voice with a barber's shop quartet on High Hawk Season (about the Walter Hill film The Warriors) is an idea that will catch on big time.

So much to enjoy, packed into one album.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this, but..., 21 May 2011
This review is from: All Eternals Deck (Audio CD)

Darnielle doesn't have the greatest signing voice in the world, but what he does have is a skill with lyrics and few in music do. He can craft beautiful songs that will stick in your mind for weeks or months, that you can mull over and discover new meanings to again and again. This album lacks these songs in the most part. With the exception of 'Damn These Vampire' and 'For Charles Bronson' a lot of that stripped down music style that so suites John Darnielle is gone. Instead what we get is overproduced songs such as 'High Hawk Season', which I thought was a parody of the Mountain Goats at first.

It's all so overworked and overproduced it just highlights the flaws in the Mountain Goats that we all know exist, but brings them to the fore, where you can't help but notice.There's something missing that I can't quite put my finger on, but it's in stark contrast to the many other albums they have published.

If you're a first time purchaser of the Mountain Goats try The Sunset Tree, Tallahassee or All Hail West Texas to see the Mountain Goats in their full splendor.

While this album isn't bad, as such, it's such a massive step down in quality for the Mountain Goats.

All Eternals Deck
All Eternals Deck by Mountain Goats (Audio CD - 2011)