4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it can do very well
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by Little Cat Voom

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but not that brilliant!
Published on 2 Aug 2012 by Treeze

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it can do very well, 29 Mar 2011
Little Cat Voom (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I`m very satisfied with this Home Steam Cleaner. It`s a pretty neat package, by which I mean it manages to look quite pleasant whilst also having a lot of the tools at the back of the main body to maximise it`s size. The body itself is light, and easily manoeuverable with a handle and wheels, and also has a lengthy flex and a few lengths of handle to allow you to extend the handle when necessary. The various attachments themselves are pretty good too. It`s only a kettle-boiling length of time to be ready to use too. The little cloths that cover the heads for carpet/upholstery cleaning are average at best though and I`m thankful that I won`t need them much.

My home is mainly hard-floors, and the floor tool has done a really good job of reinvigorating tiles and laminate (once I`d realised how to attach it properly)! It`s annoying that the cleaner won`t pick up the mess left afterwards, but then the steam cleaners job is to dislodge it, not to collect it! One of the little spiky tools has made a stellar job of cleaning the filthy oven door, and has returned the oven shelves to their original brilliant stainless steel finish, and all without spraying too much filth everywhere; this will save me from shelling out on a professional oven cleaner or extravagant cleaning products.

I`ve been decorating a lot and a few windows/patio doors had got dusty and a bit hard to see out of, but the tool for this was fantastic too and has left a really good, streak-free finish. As I`ve mentioned, I`m not convinced about the upholstery tool - not because it doesn`t work, just that it hasn`t done what I wanted - revive my cream sofas. The cloth did stay over the head, against my expectations, but looks like it won`t last too long after it`s been through the washing machine (there are two provided). But I can`t blame Vax for the fact I`ve let my sofas get a bit less than the creamy colour they were...the best way to have everything look clean is to avoid the mess in the first place, after all!

All in all though, I think this is a pretty good product. It`s a fair price for a good steam cleaner; it won`t change your life but it will remove grime and stains a lot easier than scrubbing does, especially regarding the dreaded dirty oven!

5.0 out of 5 stars All round good tool for deep domestic cleaner, 23 Mar 2011
Ross Boardman "Ross B" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tend to judge a piece of equipment by how many jobs it can do and how good it is at each of them. In the past I have used hand steamers and they are OK at what they do, but they don't have much they can do. This device came out of the box, quick read of the instructions, fill up with water and then waited for it get to pressure. First we tried the main floor tool along with the cloth attached. This made light work of the slate floor in the kitchen, but did require 3 pauses for pressure to build up. Next was to attack the cooker top which had build up a film of cooked on fat vapour from the oven. This was pretty easy to do and the amount of grime that the tool got off was impressive. The final task was to try and remove a stubborn stain on the dining room carpet. It didn't come completely away but it was hardly noticable to anyone who didn't know it was there.

Overall, it's a simple tool to use, portable and with enough tools to handle most deep cleaning tasks in the home. I suspect one payback of this would be the reduction in various chemicals you would need to get the hard work done.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but not that brilliant!, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this steam cleaner as we had a problem with carpet moth, and I wanted to blast around the edges of the carpet, and the curtains where the little blighters hide out! It did a fab job on that and also got a load of muck off the shower doors, and the grouting which had been there for a while. I liked the way all the tools stored on the back and the fact that there is a tool for getting grease and baked-on stuff off grills and oven shelves. SO, a good start, BUT after 5 days the hose down which the steam travels became kinked and collapsed, leading to a blockage in the tube so no steam was coming out - well, that's what I assuemd happened - the hose kinked - I didn't run over it or anything, but to be honest it gets tangled very easily and all the time you're using it you have to be very careful not to get any kinks in it.

I took it straight back to the shop and swapped it for a Karcher SC1020, which is 10 cheaper, and doesn't have this design problem. It works just as well but unfortunately doesn't have the same number of tools, which was the best thing about the Vax.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Occasional Deep Clean Use, 20 Jun 2011
Mr. Guy Mcevoy "Geek In Denial" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:03 Mins

I've put up a very quick video so you can see the size and function of thing. I find it brilliant for things like the BBQ (shown in the vid).

A few more thoughts I didn't think to say in the film: Whilst the quality of the product and attachments is fine - as you would expect in this price bracket - it probably isn't robust enough to use every day. I wouldn't have thought this would be substantial enough for a pro or semi-pro cleaning business. However, for a normal household who just use it for those occasional jobs (e.g. the spring/pre-christmas deep clean when you actually want to give the carpets or wooden-floors a real proper go-over, or the bi-monthly oven clean, or the occasional BBQ, or the one-off upholstery disasters) then this is a great thing to have.

It does come with loads of bits and bobs for different jobs. It is simple to use. I like using it on the BBQ and Oven as you really can shift that deep grime without resorting to the chemical alternatives. Hopefully, you can get a sense in the video of its size - I think the unit itself was smaller/less substantial than I expected - but in terms of space saving this is no bad thing. Decent Kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all it's Vaxed up to be, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
First task that I had for the product was to remove a number of shoe print stains from a light coloured bedroom carpet. Before providing the results of the task, I should point out that whilst the Steam Cleaner is undoubtedly versatile and very compact I was disappointed by the absence of a number of features. Most notably there is no water tank indicator which could provide the user with a visual indication when water in the tank had reached a low level. In addition, it would have been a useful feature to have fitted a switch that would allow vapour to flow constantly through the tube without having to depress and hold a trigger mechanism on the handle - this can become very tiresome and painful especially when tackling stubborn carpet stains which require a constant flow of steam in order to be removed. Also, there is no retraction facility for the lengthy power cable to be drawn up and secured within the Steam Cleaner, this would have made the unit a more compact and user friendly item. Following its first use, I noticed that the carpet stains were still visible although not as evident as they were before. To be fair, I did spray stain remover onto the carpet prior to using the steam cleaner. Perhaps after several cleaning attempts with the Vax, I suspect that they will become less unsightly or even be removed. It is extremely important to note that once a task has been completed, the unit should not be emptied or opened straight away!! The refill cap is fitted with a pressure release valve and this should be fractionally opened to allow the pressure in the 'expansion tank' to be slowly and safely expelled before the cap can be removed and the cleaner emptied of residual water - think about a radiator cap on a car engine. I would recommend this item although for the extra 30 - 50 I personally should have gone for a unit with the above mentioned features. Do your research before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vax S6, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
After reading other reviews of this product on Amazon I was ready for some of the "problems" with this cleaner such as remembering to hold the hose over a sink or bucket when first starting to clean so that any excess water is removed before the steam comes through the pipes.
I have found this machine a wonderful piece of kit and have used it to clean bathrooms and showers in student son's flat. Whilst cleaning I thought I hadn't made a difference and it was hot hard work
but when I returned to the shower room about an hour later the reaction was - Wow! the shine was unbelievable.
Also cleaned large much loved sofa which now looks like new
A good buy if you are prepared for hard work

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect miracles, 15 Jan 2012
N. Edwards (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this just before Christmas as I'd just moved into a new flat. I've used it on the kitchen and bathroom floors, skirting boards, the walls, the oven, the toilet, the sink and on the pipes behind the sink so far. I think it's great value for money and helps with all sorts of cleaning jobs around the home. I don't regret it but it's not everyone and won't work miracles.
PROS
It's a nice compact size and easy to use.
Attachments for different tasks and onboard storage is good.
Loosens hardened dirt/grime to make it easier to wipe away and clean. I still had to do some scouring on the oven metal rails but the steamer helped loosen the grease.
It was excellent on the toilet and left it gleaming, again you still have to wipe down afterwards.
CONS
I wish it stored the power cable
I used my own cloth when doing the floor and washed it afterwards. I had read reviews about how dirty they get. They could have provided more cloths but I suppose you can buy your own. After using the cloth I realised I didn't need it for the hard floors.
There is no indicator of how much water is left in the tank and when it's empty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vax S6 - Great Help in my Home, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Received this morning - easy to get started and heats up in 12 mins - but we left it longer as indicated by previous reviewer - water tank holds enough for about 35-40 mins cleaning time. My husband used it on the oven and kitchen and I have done our bathrooms - we have both found it excellent - but our house is generally clean - but now looks sparkling in all the areas we have used it on. Cleaned the toilets, shower cubicle, disgusting "pop-in" wastes and drain holes, floor tiles, radiators, and all grouting. My husband cleaned the greasy wall tiles round the cooker, the hob, the oven doors and we will give the whole cooker a good clean later - luckily it is only 6 weeks old so does not have burnt on grease. you do need to wipe everything down as of course using steam it gets wet in use - but that was no problem and cloths were just popped into the washer when finished. I am relieved we like it so much as after reading some reviews you could be put off buying this machine - don't be - buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Had my vax over a week now delivery and order came on time . have to say the vax steamer is the best i have had great pressure tool storage on board so esy to use , have used a leading italian make prior to this and had problems with all models from burst boilers to poor tools but so far this is as close to a proffessional steamer i have seen . i use it daily and does a great job from carpets to oven toilets glass shower a must have product .

1.0 out of 5 stars Vax steam master, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this in December. Very disappointed with it. Its a hit or miss if it works some days good steam others nothing. Think twice before you buy it. Reviewed my review July 5th 2012. Spoke to a guy in support took his advice but no joy. tried phoning support line for steam products no joy first 20th in que then later 16th in a que. Filled in the online support line and have now written to the complaints department but don't expect much joy here. I always thought Vax was a reputable company but not now. I will keep you up to date with the response if any.

Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner